Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 02-22-2001, 09:28 AM   #1
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

I finally finished the game solo. I started with a Necromancer and dualled to a 1st level Thief immediately after being freed by Imoen. From there I ventured forth alone, as a lowly 1st level thief in Irenicus's dungeon. I obviously missed some quests. In fact, I never went outside of the City.

I finally finished the game. Yes, I had maxed out exp (did this right after the Underdark) since I did not remove the cap.

In short, I pulled out every "legal" cheat in the game. I Cloudkilled unseen opponents (took out the NPC party in the Temple Sewers and the Silver Dragon). I stole from shopkeepers. I recharged my wands (I had never before gone through 80 charges on a Wand of Monster Summoning and 75 on a Wand of Cloudkill). I set traps .

I did not use Shadowkeeper at all. I rolled stats for about 20 minutes and got (18 str., 18 int., 18 con., 17 wis., 3 cha.). I primarily used the Blade of Roses and the Tungian Bow.

Some of the highlights are as follows:

I found the most commonly used strategy was to backstab, and run away far enough to hide in shadows and go back again. Traps and Cloudkill will destroy almost anything.

I killed the Unseeing Eye without doing the whole rift device quest (arrows of piercing with monsters blocking the way).

The most difficult fight was going into Bodhi's lair the second time. I needed to run far enough away to lay traps. Backstab didn't work on some of the Vampires. I found out, after about 15 minutes, that Bodhi regenerates. Eventually, I just turned Slayer and killed her.

I killed the Silver Dragon (cloudkill) and took her scroll rather than go through the Drow City. I did however kill the demon for the Gnomes (traps and lots of them).

I took out the Black Dragon by laying traps at the cave entrance and getting him to follow.

Saverok was tough. Lots of traps. Couldn't backstab him. Lots of magic -- scrolls and such. Summoned 25 monsters to slow him down. Eventually it was reloading with traps that did him in.

Most disappointing was Irenicus. I laid out a bunch of traps and he went poof. Worked both times.

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that traps are too powerful. I didn't even take a swipe at Irenicus. He just appeared and screamed, "Nooooo . . ."

It was an adventure filled with reloads. I proved to myself that this could be done, but it wasn't the most fun I've had when playing the game.
Old 02-22-2001, 09:59 AM   #2
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

It is cool that it could be done. This is another example of how powerful a thief can be. I agree with you that there are a lot of "legal cheats" as you put it.

May I just ask what difficulty you played?

And do you know how to put xcap back?

And what was the most fun to play with?
Old 02-22-2001, 10:30 AM   #3
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

I played at normal difficulty.

I never removed the cap in the first place, so I'm not sure how to put it back. My guess is that when you installed the cap remover it placed some files in your override directory. If you know which files they were, you should (technically speaking) be able to remove those files and your game should act like it has always had the cap.

In terms of "most fun to play with" I assume character classes from other games? I really like playing a Swashbuckler/Fighter. I really liked dual-wielding with *** proficiencies.

This NecroThief was okay. I've never backstabbed so much before. I also realized some of the benefits of playing solo . . . I never had to worry about anyone else getting killed while I ran away to hide in shadows. I didn't have to carry extra stuff. I didn't have to sacrifice one of my own characters when getting the tears of Baal.

About half-way through the game, I was wishing I had access to 5th level spells (using one 4th level spell gets really lame after a while). I also wish I had chosen an Illusionist over a Necromancer (invisibility would have helped with backstabs).
Old 02-22-2001, 10:39 AM   #4
Hellfire
Elite Waterdeep Guard

why did you pick a sub-class?why not go as a general mage?i'm asking because i was wondering.please tell me Father and i still haven't got paid for the..um certian item
Old 02-22-2001, 10:57 AM   #5
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

I picked a kit for the Mage because I thought I would get a decent spell bonus. I had heard many others talking on the boards about how wonderful Necromancers were and so I thought I'd try it.

You are probably right. I would have been better off without a kit. I would not have lost invisibility. I was tempted to use shadowkeeper to lose the Necro kit and/or change it, but I had made my choice earlier and decided to live by it.

And as far as a "certain item" I don't recall dealing with anyone named Hellfire, hmmmm . . . (Proof of identity required before delivering).
Old 02-22-2001, 06:43 PM   #6
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Pretty impressive Father Bronze! No wonder you havent posted in awhile, you've been fighting like hell!
Old 02-22-2001, 10:07 PM   #7
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Actually I haven't posted because I usually read the board at work and I've been out a few days. My son has a cold and I have more sick days than my wife = I've been at home. But yes, with a sick one in the house, I've had a chance to catch up on some BG2 (naptime is great).
Old 02-23-2001, 02:48 AM   #8
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Heh, you have inspired me Bronze. I was thinking a little on the train to school about playing solo. I think I want to try an elven fighter/mage/thief, or a human combo with the three classes, but the elf is probably better, because I would probably die pretty easy while I dualclass. I don't think I will play on insane difficulty though, that would be too tough in the beginning.
Old 02-23-2001, 07:30 AM   #9
Tobbin_OHF

Fighter/Mage/Thief? OMG, you have some patience. They take forever to level up. I'll have to say that this character is a very powerful one though, especially if you remove the XP cap. Good luck to you. Oh right, you can't go human and have 3 classes either. At least legally. A human can only dual-class. I read somewhere that someone used Shadowkeeper to make their human have 3 classes, but can not confirm that. Only thing with dual-class is that you can only go up so hi a level in a class and then you can't raise it anymore (1st class). I like the system in Torment where he could switch off from time to time. Really wish they coulda made it like 3rd edition rules though.

Old 02-23-2001, 07:37 AM   #10
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Couldn´t agree more Tobbin! this is why i am looking forward for Pool of Radience..