Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 11-04-2005, 04:02 PM   #21
Raffin
Dungeon Master

The run to the Tower is rough in the pass-I had to do multiple retreat and kill forays, just to get enough goblins out of the way to get by. Even then, it's cut and go getting past the horde and into the tower. Once you reach the tower, it get's easier-simply go outside after resting, kill goblins nearby, go inside, rest. Repeat, with luring thrown in as needed. And be prepared to reload a lot [img]smile.gif[/img]

Surprisingly, the yetis were a pushover compared to hordes of goblin archers. But maybe that's because my characters are higher level now [img]smile.gif[/img]

As for spells, well, chromatic orb has about a 50-50 chance of disabling the target at higher levels, and a disabled goblin or yeti is hit by every arrow, bolt, or stone you send their way. My main strategy is to send one fighter forward in melee with shield, have four archers pound his target while the bard tries to get lucky with chrom. orb. When spells run out, the bard sings Tymora or Three Heroes.

-Raffin

[ 11-06-2005, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: Raffin ]
Raffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 09:53 PM   #22
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Having your enemies run is preferrable then fighting them head on in HoF, I say, turn away!
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 11:45 PM   #23
Aerich
Lord Ao

I've come to the conclusion that a lvl 5 or 6 cleric turning undead does nothing. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

The entrances of the tombs can be difficult, but after the first onslaught, it's not bad. I've got the lvl 4 druid spell summons now. Even skeletal undead go down under arrows if you shoot enough of them.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:10 AM   #24
Aerich
Lord Ao

Finally finished off the Vale of Shadows.

For those who might be interested in xp progression (hi Nick ), the party of six is now sitting at 240 000 XP after telling stories to Arundel about the Vale. The bard hit the almighty lvl 11 midway through the 3rd level of the Black Wolf Temple. The paladin is at level 8, and the multiclasses are all either 7/7 or 7/8.

I actually found the Vale, as a whole, easier on HoF than I did on Insane. I attribute most of it to the higher levels of my characters. They have more HP and above all, more summons. However, I also have had the experience of going through on Insane, at which time I had the chance to perfect many of my Vale tactics.

There really isn't a Call to Arms for the Vale's undead, so you can take out many undead singly, at a 6:1 (or 12:1) ratio.

Boring beetles are fantastic killers when combined with the Luck song; their high damage combined with the increased chance to critical hit is very effective at overcoming the 50% resistance of skeletal undead. My druid only has about 10% of the kills and damage caused, but if his statistics included those of his summons, it would be about 15-17%. Although the numbers don't reflect it, the druid has been fantastically useful in setting up kills (Sunscorch, Alicorn Lance) and preventing damage (summons). Static Charge and Moonblade have also been solid performers. Wall of Moonlight is almost useless, as for some reason many of the undead are not affected; skeletons etc are neutral, but I was sure mummies and ghouls were evil - apparently they aren't, so end result, don't use WoM in the Vale.

The only real tough spot is the entrance to the third level. I had to make two attempts at it, as I was just taking too much damage.

One difficulty that has to be overcome is the relative dearth of magical ammo. I managed by hitting most weapon-immune undead with Chromatic Orb, at which point they stood still most kindly for my melee attacks.

[ 11-08-2005, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: Aerich ]
Old 11-08-2005, 11:54 AM   #25
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

I was realy confused when WoM didn't effect any undead... Never using that spell again.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:00 PM   #26
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I found Wall of Moonlight useful on HoF mode, but that may be because I was using AI scripts, so my Druid only casted it on Evil Aligned Undead.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 11:26 AM   #27
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

...Thats probably why it didn't work... I was targeting manualy...
Old 11-21-2005, 03:44 PM   #28
NobleNick
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:
Finally finished off the Vale of Shadows.

For those who might be interested in xp progression (hi Nick ), the party of six is now sitting at 240 000 XP after telling stories to Arundel about the Vale.
Heh, heh, heh, Hi Aerich. I initially thought you meant 240K for the entire party, as compared to 125K for a party on Normal. ~yawn~ *THEN* I realized you meant 240K *per character*, (compared to 21K per character for Normal). Ooooohhhh, big difference. That is a 12-to-1 ratio, not 2-to-1. Impressive.

Sorry to have left you guys for a bit. My monitor was locking up, so got a replacement video card; and it came with a complimentary copy of Morrowind. I would never have bought this game for myself, but am finding it strangely addictive. I'll be a little less regular in my visits to the IWD forum (although you can catch me over on the Elder Scrolls forum) until I am done with my new toy... [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

--------------
What's a party
without a song?
Bard's ROCK!!
Party on!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 07:53 PM   #29
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

We'll miss you...

Though I respond to your morrowind queries readily enough

Such a big XP difference... I don't know how I survived on normal.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:25 AM   #30
Aerich
Lord Ao

Normal lends itself toward single-class characters. If you're into the power and versatility of multi and dual class characters, higher difficulty levels are preferable.