Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 02-09-2006, 09:23 PM   #11
wanderon
Dungeon Master

My solution to the Fell wood is to make a paper map as I travel making notes on it as I go. ( a bonus for this is you only need to make it first time you play if you can recall where you put it next time you play that area... )

This is also the only place in the game that the wilderness lore skill comes in handy- if you have not given anyone points in it just let your highest wisdom character try it. (its the "mountain" button).

I don't think any of those items is useful later so dropping them is not an issue.

I think barb rage/fast movement may be limited to no more than medium armor??

I don't recall the game map notes being implemented.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:54 AM   #12
Magness
Quintesson

I've never mapped the Fell Wood. I always simply use a character with Wilderness Lore to help me get thru the FW.

IIRC, Rangers, Druids, and Barbarians all get WL as a in-class 1 pnt skill. It may not be such a great skill for Barbs, since WIS isn't an important Barb stat. But it works nicely for Rangers and Druids who have plenty of reasons to have a decent (Ranger) or great (Druid) WIS score.

Also, as wanderon implies, Wilderness Lore is a nice skill for a Cleric to take. Just one point of WL can be enough, since any worthwhile cleric is gonne have a very high WIS, and a great WIS bonus.

Probably the best items to drop, aside from now useless keys, etc., is to just buy one stack of normal arrows or bolts or bullets. Then break'em up, as Luvian describes when you want to drop one as a marker.

A map isn't a bad idea. There are about 20 distinct areas in the Fell Wood. It can be confusing because a number of these areas look exactly the same. But believe me, there are duplicate areas and they are almost certainly that way to create that confusion.

I think that if I were going to do mapping, I would combine it with a little item dropping, simply to leave myself a way to indicate that I'd passed thru the area previously.

@ Schmendrick ...

What armor is your Barbarian wearing? A couple of the armors added in by the EoU mod have bugs in them and prevent the use of special abilities.

IIRC, the Mail of Life and the Elven Chainmail of the Hand that you can get/buy in Targos were added in my the EoU mod and may be bugged.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:20 AM   #13
The Riddick
Elite Waterdeep Guard

You know what I found?. That if the guy you have in your party to do the talk has the diplomacy skill high enough, the driad will tell you the way through the forest to the spot where you fight with the candle lights and all the others, and you skip all the annoying wandering around and endless fights with skeletons. I don´t have with me the path she said I should use, but I´ll see to post it soon... or should I?. Maybe that is an spoiler, I don´t know.
Really guys, for me the Fell Wood is the MOST boring part of the game, I´m always so glad when I´m done with it...
Old 02-15-2006, 11:16 AM   #14
Magness
Quintesson

@Riddick

Really? I've found that the Battle Squares were the most boring part for me. It's not that I don't like battles, it just that about 250 little solo battles is a real time consuming pain in the butt. I just use the Wiemur EoU sub-mod to skip the entire thing and walkaway with the XP, gold, and treasure. I've already beaten it, so I don't feel guilty about skipping the whole thing.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:01 PM   #15
Schmendrick the Magician
Welcomed New User

Thanks for the help, I'm now through the fell wood. I finally had my druid use Wilderness Lore and it took me right through. I actually loved the Fell Wood part, I thought it was really interesting.

The armor was the Black Dragon Armor, and I think it was added in by the Ease of Use Mod. It states it's light armor, but I'm pretty sure it isn't.

Another question (Minor Spoiler):

In Duergar stronghold when you meet Zama Rogadimne in the temple you can con him into giving you some potions. He warns that if he later finds out you lied to him he'll break your back. I haven't gone much past this part but I'm wondering what will happen since I conned him. Any ideas?

Also, is pick pocket ever useful in this game? Besides making people try to kill you that is.

Suggestion:

Bard + Tale of Currant Strongheart + Lingering Song + Emotion: Fear = Scared monsters + Happy adventurers. Add Spell Focus: Enchantment for extra kick!

Suggestion 2:

You could probably do fine without a rogue if you have a Bard with high Dex and a Wizard with high Int. The bard can hide, sneak and pick locks, while the wizard can find and disarm traps. All you miss is the backstab and evasion which you can get by having one character (bard?) multiclass to rogue for 2 levels. Just a thought.

Suggestion 3 (minor spoiler):
Buy the Bardic Horn of Valhalla. It was my favorite item in IWD:I by far and it's available from the merchant who turns out to be a werewolf near Oswald's crashed airship. It's expensive, but awesome!
Schmendrick the Magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:25 PM   #16
Magness
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Schmendrick the Magician:
Thanks for the help, I'm now through the fell wood. I finally had my druid use Wilderness Lore and it took me right through. I actually loved the Fell Wood part, I thought it was really interesting.

The armor was the Black Dragon Armor, and I think it was added in by the Ease of Use Mod. It states it's light armor, but I'm pretty sure it isn't.
Ah, yes. This armor has an equipping feature that disables spellcasting. unfortunately, this ends up disabling all special/innate abilities as well. The same is true of some of the other poorly/incompletely converted IWD1 armors that were added in by the Wiemur EoU mod. (Not "poorly/incompletely converted" by WW, but by BIS.)

It's not difficult to fix with a little knowledge and the right tools.

Quote:

Another question (Minor Spoiler):

In Duergar stronghold when you meet Zama Rogadimne in the temple you can con him into giving you some potions. He warns that if he later finds out you lied to him he'll break your back. I haven't gone much past this part but I'm wondering what will happen since I conned him. Any ideas?
Don't remember ever having to deal with this one.

Quote:
Also, is pick pocket ever useful in this game? Besides making people try to kill you that is.
It's not a skill that I've ever used, but I do know for a fact that there are a couple of people in Targos that you can pickpocket profitably.

Quote:
Suggestion:

Bard + Tale of Currant Strongheart + Lingering Song + Emotion: Fear = Scared monsters + Happy adventurers. Add Spell Focus: Enchantment for extra kick!
SP and GSF: Enchantment and various spells with Will saves adds up to happy adventurers.

And that's much, MUCH more true in HOF mode.

[ 02-17-2006, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: Magness ]
Old 02-17-2006, 09:36 PM   #17
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

One of the best items in the game is available only through pickpocketing it in HoF mode.

As for theiving power, I only have a single level of rogue in my party, and it serves me fine. Of course, I need maxed DEX and INT, but whatever. You sacrifice the potential power of a pureclass or fighter/rogue as a backstabber, but you gain 29 levels of whatever (in my case, wizard), which IMO makes up for it.

Nice combo spotted with the fear+courage. Of course, wouldn't it be better to have a paladin block fear and have the bard use something like War Chant? You would have to group more tightly, but I think the adventurers would be MUCH more happy.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:10 PM   #18
Magness
Quintesson

I agree about the HOF and pickpocketing. I hesitated to spoil.

I know that the game doesn't really require rogues, but I still take one regardless. Maybe someone will make a mod that bumps up the toughness of traps in the game.

Fear spells can be nice. So can Greater Command, Symbol of Hopelessness or Sym of Fear. Basically, all of the decent level spells with Will saves tend to be effective, particularly once you reach HOF.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:54 AM   #19
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Well, I didn't say what, where, and off of whom, so I don't consider it spoiling [img]smile.gif[/img] .

I've stopped using fear since beginning to play WoW. I just can't get it out of my head that fear=massive adds=wipe [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] .
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote