Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-18-2001, 11:13 PM   #261
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

Secondly sorry if it hurts your feelings but LIFE is predatory study your biology, Zoology and all the rest of the natural sciences.

*Entertains thoughts of hunting and eating Magik*

It doesn't mean humans have to prey on each other.

[This message has been edited by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown (edited 09-18-2001).]
Old 09-18-2001, 11:31 PM   #262
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
That! comes from 40 years of observing too much of the bad side of humanity and not enough time playing with the good side. As I said, Im jaded, cynical, disillusioned and way too serious for my own good. Yet I still manage to have fun now and then

Hope your rib heals ok

Like Fljotsdale and Silver Cheetah, I want to say a few words about your supposed greater amount of life experience which you refer to in this and other posts.

I am very well acquainted with the darker side of humanity, both from my study of human history and personal experiences of my own, including my profession as a criminal prosecutor.

Don't tell me about the evil that men are capable of as if it is some big secret that you are going to enlighten me with.

Don't try to tell the younger folk here that they are destined to believe as you do when they get older. That is a bunch of hogwash.

[This message has been edited by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown (edited 09-19-2001).]
Old 09-18-2001, 11:41 PM   #263
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:

But, really, you know, I have had SOME experience of the horrors of this world. I lived through World War 2 in an area that suffered serious bombing. Even as a child I saw much that it would have been better not to see. Fear that my parents might not come home was not the least of it. And middle eastern countries have been subjected to much more than the UK was in WW2.

You think that idealism and reality are opposites. But they are not. Realism/idealism is the SAME THING. You are thinking of idealism as being all about starry-eyed 'love', yes?
Idealism isn't like that! Its dead practical. It means looking at needsand then taking steps to provide those needs. The richer looking out for the poorer. That is what Christianity AND Islam both teach and it is sensible, practical and of benefit to us all. (And btw, I'm an atheist!)
What the 'realistic' West has been doing is seeing OUR wants and grabbing them because we are bigger and stronger, and thus we have damned the weaker. We are now reaping the rewards of that 'realistic', unidealistic attitude.
Idealism IS realism at its most practical. 'Realism' as we have practiced it is VERY unrealistic and impractical.
Truce?

Wise words, Ms. Fljotsdale
Old 09-18-2001, 11:53 PM   #264
Absynthe

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
[B] *Entertains thoughts of hunting and eating Magik*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA.....
Oh for Gods' sake STOP!..... I have just ruptured my spleen, lost a kidney AND soiled a brand new pair of shorts! I haven't laughed that hard in a long, long time.
Thank you so much, Diogenes, your levity is appreciated...

Old 09-18-2001, 11:56 PM   #265
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
Ah, well. That wasn't the whirlwind, twas but a haddock. (Eh Absynthe...)Tis the traditional weapon of the Cheetah, a wet haddock. Did ye not know that, Fljots? (dale).
And to replace the one just used, I will be shipping you a brace of aged, sun-ripened haddock via slow boat. Should arrive soon in a perfectly ripe state. Enjoy!

Old 09-19-2001, 11:18 AM   #266
tracey
Manshoon

lordy, if i had the energy, silver cheetah, i'd probably go back a pace and read what what he said to you. maybe later. posted on the other bit about browsing but doesn't seem to have worked, sigh. hope this one does as it's a test post.

i see the old 'trout' is active in this thread (snigger)
Old 09-19-2001, 11:22 AM   #267
Absynthe

Hi Tracey, been a while since I've seen you around... welcome back.
Oh, and I'll see if I can come up with a nice smelly bit of cod for you, so you can join us in the fish-slapping dance.

Old 09-19-2001, 11:23 AM   #268
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by tracey:
lordy, if i had the energy, silver cheetah, i'd probably go back a pace and read what what he said to you. maybe later. posted on the other bit about browsing but doesn't seem to have worked, sigh. hope this one does as it's a test post.

i see the old 'trout' is active in this thread (snigger)
Hi, there, our Tracey! Yes, the 'old trout' is indeed here, lol! Nice to see you! I'll go peek at the other thread as well.... btw, this one is VERY interesting!

------------------

Old 09-19-2001, 02:35 PM   #269
tracey
Manshoon

would this be fish-slapping in the style of monty python? i do hope so, i'm rather good at it!
Old 09-19-2001, 02:47 PM   #270
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:

'Finally in closing. I know where the arms in the east came from, but the west selling them guns didn't start the barbarism there, it existed before there was a civilised west. The flower of civilisation started in the middle east or so Im told, and they never advanced. Instead it degenerated into the savageness that we see today. Israel occupying this or that bank of a river has nothing to do with wether it is ok to suicide bomb a bunch of civilians. Why did Israel move to the west bank?? hmmm can you say Attacks from Syria and Egypt?? maybe they didn't feel safe letting their neighbors get too close...maybe we shouldnt just oversimplify.
Have you read European history lately? We were about the same way. The history of Europe has more war than peace by a lot. However, we worked it out... eventually. I hope this will stay that way, that there will be no more wars like those in the past (I'd say no more wars at all, but that is unfortunately very unrealistic). The Middle East is about the same way - warring over centuries. However, somebody gave them advanced weaponry. I do not even WANT to think of what would have happened if Europe had advanced weaponry in, say, the Thirty Years War, to name one of many.

------------------

Kazara

Sapphire Dragoness of ALSB
Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe