Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-03-2003, 02:20 AM   #11
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Krustin:
Winamp3, and PowerDVD handle most of my movie playing needs (mostly winamp3). PowerDVD is a pay product, but very very good - gives marginally better results viewing most movies.

I think there's a good chance you'll get a free copy of PowerDVD when you buy a DVD-ROM; happened with me. [img]smile.gif[/img] And on the other hand, Winamp3 has been nothing but trouble so far, so I actually switched back to good old Winamp 2.8 and merely stick to music with that one again.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:46 AM   #12
Blade
Emerald Dragon

well wmp doesn't seem to slow down my comp. but then i have lots of ram. Have you tryed installing wmp version 9 yeat? it takes up less resources i think.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:42 AM   #13
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

It also reports everything you do to microsoft.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:13 AM   #14
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Exactly, anyone who uses WMP 9 is either a fool or doesn't give a damn about their privacy; the only sensible way to use it is to block it's net access with a THIRD PARTY firewall.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 02-03-2003, 09:18 PM   #15
Jeffi0
Zhentarim Guard

I use the RealOne Player... Plays almost all movies and has good features.

http://www.real.com/R/RC.010903r1cp_...e/realone.html
<br /><br />[url]\"http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010302\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010302</a> First 8-Bit Theater comic. The first few aren\'t really funny, but the rest are great.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:21 PM   #16
B_part
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
quote:
Exactly, anyone who uses WMP 9 is either a fool or doesn't give a damn about their privacy; the only sensible way to use it is to block it's net access with a THIRD PARTY firewall.[/QUOTE]Well, then get a firewall... knowing what goes in and out of your ports is quite a sensible thing to do, WMP9 or not. The con is that it takes up resources on slower machines, but it's definitely worth it.
Screw the one from XP, it only makes trouble (and I guess it's a bit prejudiced against Microsoft products).

I use REal Player for my playing needs - the only con is that it doesn't play asf and wmv files. For those I use winamp3, which is a bit slow and poor for my taste. Remember though, what you can and cannot play is determined by the codecs you have installed... i suggest a good all-round codec installer (power users only)
http://www.geocities.com/nimocodec/

Edit: one other reason why you shouldn't use windows media player (any version) is that you cannot delete history without editing registry...

[ 02-04-2003, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: B_part ]
Old 02-04-2003, 06:13 PM   #17
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

B_part, the download link doesn't work. I get an error message from the hosting site (not geocities) in a foreign language. My guess is, the site has been removed.
Old 02-05-2003, 01:29 PM   #18
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

B_part : I KNOW, I'm not the one at a loss here [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Just though of another good reason to use BSPlayer if u still listening Mem. It has the best subtitle support out of all the programs I've tried and I've tried at least 6 or 7. Most subtitle formats etc.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 02-05-2003, 02:05 PM   #19
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
B_part : I KNOW, I'm not the one at a loss here [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Just though of another good reason to use BSPlayer if u still listening Mem. It has the best subtitle support out of all the programs I've tried and I've tried at least 6 or 7. Most subtitle formats etc.
Vaskez, maybe you can help me. How do I get BSplayer to play all the codecs I´ve installed on mycomputer? It will only play movies encoded by div3-5 and mp42. It won´t play my movies encoded encoded with the original divx codec (and I´m too lazy to remake them). And it won´t support Xvid or CanopecDV either.

Oh and Vaskez, get yourself a firewall! *giggles*

Have you found a player you like yet Mario Timberflake? [img]tongue.gif[/img]