Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2003, 09:16 AM   #1
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Hi guys. Is there anyone out there that are business managers or Sociology professors?
If so, can you please tell me what authors (and books if you know any) are highly respected in talking about Bureaucracies and Management in terms of social aspects. I'm trying to convince my manager that the way to make social and cultural changes in a Bureaucracy is different than in a Democracy, and I want to find a good book/author to back me up. There's so many out there that I want to make sure I'm using one that is known and respected.

Thanks if anyone out there can help. Please don't just jump in to list books you know or find on the web, I have no problem finding books. I'm specifically looking for experts in the field.

You will have psycho-kitty's (below) gratefulness for your help!!!
Old 06-17-2003, 10:52 AM   #2
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Persuade your boss to let you attend this

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 06-17-2003, 10:55 AM   #3
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

That'd be great, except that I'm not even management. In fact, I'm the lowest man (woman) on the totem pole so to speak (except for the co-ops) which is what makes it somewhat rediculous that I'm the one making all the noise. Everyone seems to have the same complaints, but I'm the only one speaking up. The positive, to that, though, is that as a result, the Director of our department has taken a positive interest in me and says that she admires my willingness to speak up.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:17 AM   #4
Chewbacca
Zartan

Check out the fish book. It is about book on changing culture and improving morale in a corporate bureaucracy.

Its a darn good book, but its not a business school textbook or anything. Even if it isn't the kind of data you are looking for, I highly recomend it and so do alot of experts in corporate managment.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...6020?vi=glance
Old 06-17-2003, 11:24 AM   #5
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

I'm familiar with the Fish philosophy, in fact we recently watched a video here about it.
The issue I'm having is convincing him that in order for change of the culture at our office to take place needs to come from the top, or they at least need to "Buy in" to the change, otherwise the change will erode away. In a democracy, change can come from the bottom up, but at the office, you don't get a vote in what is done, so if the change doesn't come from above, then it won't stick.

Thanks guys.