Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2006, 09:58 PM   #21
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

I don't like all the tabs and I don't like having to dismount from my steed to fight. I also don't like random Imperial horses wandering around (okay, its only happened once), because its so tempting to steal it... and really, I find it hard to resist temptation. I don't like having thief stuff on my character record [img]smile.gif[/img] .

Speaking of which - psychic(sp?) guards suck.
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:53 PM   #22
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:
-No Morrowind was unbelievable and just wrong how it worked with sneaking. In no way if I'm seen can I hide again, that's just wrong and I'm glad Oblivion fixed that.
I disagree, slightly. If you remove yourself from the npc's line of sight (either by a lot of running or some tricky manoeuvring) then there's no reason why one shouldn't be able to hide again. Now that the guard is alerted to your presence it might make remaining hidden a lot harder, but it's not to say it shouldn't be possible. That's how it works in real life. Guards that know exactly what you've done and exactly where you are even though they can't see you is NOT how it is in real life.

The 100% chameleon was always cheezy in Morrowind and, unfortunately, it looks like it might be the only practical way of stealthy combat in Oblivion. But i'm looking forward to finding my own ways.

I still haven't played it yet, but i've less than 6 hours to wait. This has been the longest week in memory...
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 12:48 AM   #23
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sever:
quote:
-No Morrowind was unbelievable and just wrong how it worked with sneaking. In no way if I'm seen can I hide again, that's just wrong and I'm glad Oblivion fixed that.
I disagree, slightly. If you remove yourself from the npc's line of sight (either by a lot of running or some tricky manoeuvring) then there's no reason why one shouldn't be able to hide again. Now that the guard is alerted to your presence it might make remaining hidden a lot harder, but it's not to say it shouldn't be possible. That's how it works in real life. Guards that know exactly what you've done and exactly where you are even though they can't see you is NOT how it is in real life.

The 100% chameleon was always cheezy in Morrowind and, unfortunately, it looks like it might be the only practical way of stealthy combat in Oblivion. But i'm looking forward to finding my own ways.

I still haven't played it yet, but i've less than 6 hours to wait. This has been the longest week in memory...
[/QUOTE]Well you can remain undetected even after attacking once, but it depend a lot on the embient lights and you need high skill.

I can go in a very dark corner, stand still, shot an arrow, the mob will freak out and look around but won't see me. Once he settle down I shoot again... The problem is that this work only in perfect conditions, a mob 15 or so yards away, a perfectly shadowed corner, high enough skill. And even then, the ennemy is not stupid and eventually he'll run in the direction the arrows came from and now since he's closer and "suspicious" he'll more than likely spot you.

Also, if there are two mobs, the second one seem to have an easier time of it and will come in the direction the arrow came from almost always at the first shot, if he saw it.

I even once killed a zombie by standing in stealth behind it and wacking it with my sword, zombies are not the most preceptive creatures.

[ 03-31-2006, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:09 AM   #24
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well it seems like it is way easier to remain hidden after a sneak up kill with closecombat weapon/unarmed then shooting with a bow.

This feels really stupid because the ow makes not any real noice in the game, while sneaking up on someone and whack their neck of with a longsword or stab with a knife yields a Monty Pythonic death of grandeur with enemies falling to pieces and weapons and shields clanging all over the place and the death rattle is not really a rattle - more like a syumphony of agaony lasting two seconds. However, it feels strangely rewarding after slowly creeping up on someone but when their buddy is like 10 feet away round the corner and don't react - silly.

Reloaded the scenario and shot the guy from way off from a corridoor in total darkness, had chameleon on and sneaking slowly. After I hit the guy around the corner knew exactly where I was and my "eye" turned bright golden - even more silly.

Radiant AI?

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:09 AM   #25
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
There is a mod that change this. I didn't try it yet, but it make it so that when you commit a crime it only get reported in a certain radius around you and if no guard "hear" it you don't get caught. I think it was called "no psychic guards" or something like that. [/QB]
Do you have a link or a name for this mod? It sounds interesting!
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:05 AM   #26
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Calaethis Dragonsbane:
I don't like all the tabs
I know, I just can't get used to tabbing instead of right-clicking. It is so irritating when I go to check my map or inventory and just get an insipid swish of my sword because I have right-clicked out of habit [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2006, 03:47 AM   #27
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Heheh, I have been playing the game since it came out and I still keep pressing "M" when I want to see the map [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 06:02 AM   #28
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
quote:
Originally posted by Sever:
quote:

[/QUOTE]Well you can remain undetected even after attacking once, but it depend a lot on the embient lights and you need high skill.

I can go in a very dark corner, stand still, shot an arrow, the mob will freak out and look around but won't see me. Once he settle down I shoot again... The problem is that this work only in perfect conditions, a mob 15 or so yards away, a perfectly shadowed corner, high enough skill. And even then, the ennemy is not stupid and eventually he'll run in the direction the arrows came from and now since he's closer and "suspicious" he'll more than likely spot you.

Also, if there are two mobs, the second one seem to have an easier time of it and will come in the direction the arrow came from almost always at the first shot, if he saw it.

I even once killed a zombie by standing in stealth behind it and wacking it with my sword, zombies are not the most preceptive creatures.
[/QUOTE]This sounds precisley like the Thief games. Isn't that fine 'as is'? Oh wait you don't have flashbombs for when you're spotted :-/
Old 03-31-2006, 02:09 PM   #29
Glycerine_74
Dungeon Master

I haven't had any problems as of yet, although I'm only a level 5 Assassin. I've done the first few quests for the Thieves’ Guild, and advanced to Silencer with the Dark Brotherhood. (Gotta love Shadowmere!) Haven’t touched the main quest at all.

Most of the weaker NPCs will go down with one sneak attack from my bow. For the tougher ones, I open up with a 3X sneak attack from afar and continue pelting my target with arrows until they fall to the floor. I usually have to run backwards and keep laying into them until they drop, which works fine as long as I have plenty of room to move, simply because my Speed and Athletics are so high I can keep most opponents at a distance with ease. It gets a little hairy in smaller, enclosed areas. In those types of fights I take quite a few hits, but I can use my high Acrobatics skill to literally jump over their head and get behind them. Instead of taking three or four hard hits, I may only take one or two before I can spin around and start shooting again. Plus, being a Vampire, I seem to be able to take more of a beating then before.

*** SPOILERS ***

In one Dark Brotherhood quest, I remember being chased through town by a khajiit enforcer, trying to escape without killing him. I'm running around corners, ducking into alleys, leaping over fences and walls, basically leaving him in the dust because he wasn't nearly as fast and had to walk around all of the stuff I jumped over with ease. I had enough time to stop, turn around, and wait for a few seconds before I finally see him come barreling around the corner. Got to give those NPCs props, they don't give up very easily. I remember another time where I was chased through the wilderness for what seemed like miles by an extremely pissed off Unicorn. (Anyone know of a way to tame them? I noticed that when you get close enough, the “ride” icon appears on your mouse cursor.) The damn thing would just not give up, so it chased me all the way to the Inn of Ill Omen. I come charging down the road, pissed equine in tow, just as some traveler comes out of the inn. I blow right by him and into the inn, but catch a slight glimpse of him pulling out his bow and backing away. I heal up real quick, and slip back outside for a quick peak. The Unicorn and bowman are going at it fight night style, circling each other and attacking. I stand there and watch the show for a second, then decide maybe I should try and help. I whip out my bow and start to close in, only to notice my new “friend” has a nice silver bow that’s better than the rusty iron crap I’m carrying. Deciding that discretion is the better part of valor, I put away my weapon and wait to see what happens. The bowman gets close, but doesn’t quite do it. He falls after a swift kick to the jaw, at which point I rush in, grab his bow, equip it, and just barely manage to finish the job.

Glycerine

[ 03-31-2006, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Glycerine_74 ]
Glycerine_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:15 PM   #30
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
A couple of others things I like very much - you don't get fatigued when running so you can constantly run and not have to stop and walk all the time. Also that magicka replenishes without having to sleep. I was thrilled when I was healing myself in Kvatch when I discovered this!