Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives

Old 11-18-2000, 12:12 AM   #1
Lily the Ranger

In the thread regarding BG vs WW, I saw Kate mention the multiplayer feature. This is really exciting as we are ready to buy the second computer and one thing missing from WW is people actually playing with you (although the forum comes close!). This could change the Christmas list entirely. If WW 2 is in the works, please, make it multiplayer! I have heard of games being played between two linked computers in your home and also online. How does this work and is it really confusing, especially in battle?

Old 11-18-2000, 12:52 AM   #2
Mordien

Well I believe you are referring to multiplayer in Baldur's Gate, because from reading Kate's post and yours I'd guess that is what you are referring to. Multiplayer in Baldur's Gate II (or I) is basically formatted as such. One person plays as the protagonist. Baldur's Gate is an overhead game so using characters in multiplayer is not really different from single player in most respects. If, let's say you have multiplayer with two people, the server (person who initially starts the game) allocates slots for the other players to use. You can have up to 6 characters in a game, so usually this would mean the server player would have control of 3 characters and the client would also have control of 3. The game is usually played real-time so it doesn't really get all that confusing. If you have played games like warcraft or other overhead games, movement is "similar" in many respects. Given that knowledge, multiplayer hasn't been very difficult for me at least.
You can pause the game (at least the server/protagonist can). There are some ways to turn on auto-pausing, so the game can be semi-turn based, but this is not an element I'd suggest using for multiplayer, because THAT can get rather annoying (to say the very least). You can save multiplayer games for play later. You can export and import your player characters (not NPCs you pick up along the way), so you can use your character in whatever game(s) you choose. You can, in multiplayer also choose to create as many characters as you want if you do not wish to pick up NPC characters along the way (up to the maximum of 6). The difference with your home-made characters and NPCs is that your home-made ones do not "talk" to eachother, they can be imported/exported, you roll their stats and do whatever you want with them. NPCs have set stats, alignments, classes, etc. It's nice to have a couple slots open for NPCs at least for enjoyment of the game. When you pick up an NPC, they are controlled exactly
the same as a home-made character. They may have special quests and other such "features" a home-made character doesn't have alone.
I'm not sure what else I can really say. Ohh yes...and quests, etc reward everyone in the group...no special "selecting" or weird tricks involved as far as I know =)
If you need more info, let me know. I had a lot of fun in BGII...but then again I didn't "read the boards" much during play. There is a LOT of spoiling in general on BGII boards I have seen (just a warning).

Have fun...

Old 11-18-2000, 02:02 PM   #3
Lily the Ranger

Thanks for the info - sounds like fun. The idea of bringing a character from another game is intriguing. I would really enjoy WW in that format.

Old 11-18-2000, 03:46 PM   #4
Gaijin

Ahh Lily! Sounds like you'll have a LAN in your home soon! Much fun, much fun. I helped a friend of mine set up a 5-station network in his home, and we all invade his pad on the weekends for the multiplayer marathons. With two computers in the house, you'll definitely want to network them! Especially if your husband likes to game too. It's VERY easy to link two Win95/98 computers, you'll be happy to know. I'm a LAN tech by trade, so if you have any questions at all when you're ready to network, feel free to e-mail me or post at the Writer's Guild!

Old 11-18-2000, 04:01 PM   #5
xenotoca

Lily W&W in its original incarnation Swords and Sorcery was multiplayer. Look at the old screenshots were you could see the other members of your party battleing away. The multipule conversations are leftover form this heritage as each character would have been controlled by a seperate player. I suspect some of the quests were ment to done alone. Notice how the monsters send in one or two to attack whilst the rest surround you and fire spells and weapons. If each party member was seperatly controlled you could do the same.

Just type in Swords and sorcery on a good search engine to see what we should have had.

Old 11-18-2000, 11:41 PM   #6
Lily the Ranger

My paladin has been watching over my shoulder on occasion. Has said it would be fun to play and is really excited about the new computer and yes, LAN. He will eagerly leap at the opportunity to pick your brain like a treasure chest at the crypt. Have a date and never leave the house. Hm. Swords and sorcery sounds familiar. So many choices . . . I am grateful for all the input - I HATE getting home with a game and finding out I have been disappointed. Time and money being what they are.