Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2002, 02:09 AM   #1
Sythe
Ra

Who would YOU be?? WHO do you think is Superior! I am asking YOU who is staring at the computer screen!

LONG LIVE ARCANE and me *wink*
Old 08-19-2002, 03:07 AM   #2
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Sorcerers all the time. Simply because I like their spell-system much better. [img]smile.gif[/img]
If Dundee sees this thread, we'll probably get a looooooong post explaining why the Sorcerer is best.
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 04:47 AM   #3
Kronostia
The Magister

Mages all the way ! Either the good or Neutral Normal one or my favourite the Dark and evil Necromancer [img]smile.gif[/img]

Either way, lesser spells then the Sorcerer, but u get to choose a little more.
Which i like. GO MAGES GO MAGES GO MAGES *is cheering*

Gimme a M, M! gimme a A, A! etc etc, what do we got ? *entire crowd* MAGES !!!!

[ 08-19-2002, 04:48 AM: Message edited by: Kronostia ]
Old 08-19-2002, 04:57 AM   #4
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I enjoy Dundee's explanations dont you exxon?
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 05:02 AM   #5
Vedran
Lord Soth

Sorcerers are superior, of course. Ask yourself - do you really cast every single spell all the time? Naturally no. You have a few you like the best and you can win in any situation with them.
You will lose exp. for reading scrolls (which is formidable!). But if you have another mage, he will earn those points for party.
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 06:34 AM   #6
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quickly now, someone link Dundee here
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 08:04 AM   #7
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Glorfindel:
I enjoy Dundee's explanations dont you exxon?
Of course I do. Listening to the man who probably knows more about the game then the moderators is always fun.
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 10:26 AM   #8
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I am almost tempted to make a short post and disappoint everyone. ;P Heh, but I am not in an evil mood at the moment. Anyway, a standard disclaimer. Both Mages and Sorcerers are powerful, and either one can easily kick butt with righteous fury( or unholy wrath if you are evil). For the BG2 game though, I find that the Sorcerer is better than the Mage.

In my second disclaimer, I must strongly emphasise that you NEED to know the magic system in the game inside-out in order to fully maximise the potential of the Sorcerer. As a Sorcerer, you cannot afford to make any mistakes, for a mistake once made, is irreversable( save through cheating). This is why I strongly recommend aspiring Sorcerers to make a spell list before they make their Sorcerer.

I will try to explain as many reasons as I can remember, on why Sorcerers have an edge versus Mages, but if you still have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Q01: But Mages can memorise more spells!

True... but when was the last time you used the spell, Shocking Grasp? Is Phantom Blade really worth that spell slot? Take a look at your Mage's spell slots. How often is it that you have more than five, even four different spells per spell level? Five different spells per spell level is all you really need. Sure, it would be nice to be able to memorise more, but we have to give the Mage some advantage right?

This then leads to my next point.

Sorcerers have a superior versatility in spell usage and selection,
Mages have a superior versatility in spell memorisation.

Confused? Allow me to give an example. How many Stoneskins does your Mage usually memorise? Most people will say one, I usually make mine memorise two. For the following example, let us assume one.

Your Mage gets hit too many times, and his/her initial Stoneskin wears out. No problem, cast Stoneskin and viola! He/she is safe once again... but wait! The enemy casts Breach/Dispel Magic/etc... and his/her Stoneskin is gone once more! Oh no! Of course, this is not necessarily fatal, but it leaves your Mage vulnerable.

Let us go to the Sorcerer now. Got hit too many times? Cast again. Dispelled? Cast again. Breached? Cast again. A Sorcerer can cast as many Stoneskins as he/she likes, so long as he/she can still cast from that particular spell level. This is incredibly useful, as the spell will always be there, and used only when needed.

A Sorcerer can either become an almighty spell-counterer, or an insane damage dealer, depending on the situation and all on the fly. No need to memorise beforehand.

There is one tactic where the Sorcerer truly outshines the Mage. Both classes can use this tactic, but only a Sorcerer can milk the tactic to its full potential. So powerful is this tactic... that you will literally rain armageddon on your enemies. A tactic that I have devised and named as the PRATI tactic.

Q02: But Mages can scribe scrolls!

I think the EXP loss is worth the additional power you can get with a Sorcerer. In addition... you do not need to search for scrolls when you want a particular spell. You want a certain spell when you have a Sorcerer? You got it. For a Mage, you have to search for it, and some spells are not available until much later in the game.

Gee... I thought I would be able to think of more than two questions, but I think I am done for now. Q01 is the one I take perverse joy in explaining to Mage lovers, because they tend to realise what they have been missing out.

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 11:01 AM   #9
Sythe
Ra

AAAAAAHHHHHH NO! I know MAGES are better!! I played and beaten this game with a sorceror. Even though the advantage of using spells more often helped me a lot. I beaten the game and I realized the spells I could have had. What I really hate is that if you one cool spell that does um turn people into frogs and another narly spell that you can shoot a slimeball that explodes into Horrid Wilting! I would choose spell slimeball of corse. But I also want the spell that turn people into frogs. I have to wait for the next level to get that blasted spell! If you are a mage you can learn and LEARN new spells more and MoRE AND MORE!!!!! and MORE!!! Having a wide variety of spells are great! Mages may not memorize as much as a Sorceror but they have more spells to try out and use in a variety of situaitons.(Sorceros too by the sacred unholy lazy art of CHEATING) But a mage can be like a sorceror for a while you know how. You can buy of steal and find 50 scrolls use em over and over again. But that is kinda like cheap. If you know what you are up against Woo hoo good for you can memorize a spell that can turn the tide in a situaiton! Like for example if you are going to fight a bloody dragon! I reaaaaally wanted to fight the Silver Dragon I was a sorceror back then and I had some Ice Spells. I didn't think of using the spell that lowers magic reisistance. A mage can get a scroll of that use it a volia you memorize it! But mages get off at a very rocky start when the Sorceror can hop on the mages head jump off and go up the rocks with ease. But the mage will grow strogner and run faster and almost catch up with the sorceror who is also learning new spells but at a much slower rate. The mage will then kick the little Sorceror on the ground to eat dirt and the mage will run away! Still I am going to by TOB and play as a wild mage whatever that is. If wild Mage isn't good I am going to play a necromancer mage!!!

LONG LIVE ARCANE
[img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]
Woooooooooooooo
Old 08-19-2002, 11:13 AM   #10
FluffigtDjur
Elite Waterdeep Guard

sorcerer are the better, and they fitt the story better to.

(Blood of a fiend flowing through their veins? All in favor sais "aye".)
FluffigtDjur is offline   Reply With Quote