Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Wizardry 8 Forum

Old 11-30-2001, 10:02 AM   #41
Case00
Manshoon

Another sweet spot.

The Swamp is your friend. If you want a place to just wander around a eat up exp, the swamp is it. You can kill brekkek(?) over and over for the 75k reward, and the creatures there are generally worth good exp, even though they are pretty easy to bring down (killing a single golem thingy nets you over 20k, and they travek in pairs). I leveled my guys 2 or 3 times one evening by just going back and forth killing all the red and yellow dots on the map (X-Ray goes a really long way here).
Case00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 06:25 PM   #42
steelcow
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Something I've found very helpful is to experiment with using the right-mouse button ...

During battle, if you don't know what those three numbers (x/w/z) next to the monster's name during a battle are ... Right-click on it!

When sharing items across characters in the inventory screen, ever wonder if you can simply /give/ an item to a different character without having to select that character first? Right-click on the target character instead of left-clicking!

There's a lot of polish that went into Wizardry 8. So make sure you exploit it at every opporunity! Cheers!
Old 12-02-2001, 01:40 PM   #43
Jerry Austin
The Magister

Hello All,
Here's a hint:
when picking up stuff off the ground if you right click on any person it'l go right into party inventory i stumbled on this by experimenting
saves alot of time then having to go into every ones inventory then moving it into party inventory.
qwert
Old 12-02-2001, 04:39 PM   #44
Jerry Austin
The Magister

Hello Again,
Well heres something cool i found out by a flook,when your in the inventory screen try holding down the control key......a nifty thing added i must say myself.
qwert
Old 12-02-2001, 05:09 PM   #45
vesselle
Hathor

WOAH!!!

V***V
Old 12-02-2001, 10:28 PM   #46
DigitalDaemon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I noticed someone posting about bishop specialization. They suggested specializing in three spell areas out of the four available (wizardry, divinity, alchemy, and psionic), and adding points to these with each level raise. While this could work, I don't think it is wise. Just two areas brings in plenty of spells, and the extra points can help a lot going into a realm. It takes a long time to develop a realm otherwise, and the points help a lot from level advance. This is also suggested in the manual - when it described the bishop in the manual, it suggests specialization in two areas rather than three.

Perhaps at the higher levels, when you have selected all the spells you want from the two areas you have chosen, you can begin entering a third area, and even later the final fourth.

Digital Daemon
DigitalDaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 12:27 AM   #47
Thol
Welcomed New User

When a battle starts, *always* go into walk mode the round before the monsters charge into melee range. Even though you don't need to move even one step, turning to the left or right will allow a Valkyrie or other character in the side or back row to use their polearm rather than their ranged weapon. Just turn until the weapons switch, then exit out of the walk screen.

Also, the previous tip for bishops will get you up faster in the two magic disciplines, but it is entirely possible to get up to 100 in all four by the low 20's by placing 3 points every level up into wizardry, psionics and alchemy. Just grab a heal spell and heal constantly and divinity will go up on its own. It isn't easy.

Last tip: Damage spells are overrated. Concentrate on incapacitation effects when possible.

-FF
Thol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 03:00 AM   #48
Astral
Welcomed New User

Regarding the above tip on choosing "walk" every round, remember that you move only at the initiative of the slowest member of the party, so in case you need to kill off something immediately, you might not want to move.
Astral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 12:21 PM   #49
Amaron
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I posted this in a thread where people were discussing motion sickness in games and I've gotten a lot of feedback about it so I figured I'd put it in the tip section here for any future people suffering from this.

-----------------------------------------
Hey guys I just wanted to say don't loose help yet . I've a lot of info for you here. Let me go into the full disertation because I can't imagine something more horrible than not being able to play a great game simply because it made me sick.

Here are the basics. First off motion sickness is not what we're talking about here most likely. Motion sickness is usually due to your eyes telling you something different than your inner ears are feeling. It happens when for instance you sit in a car reading and not watching the road. This CAN happen on a computer but it usually dosn't unless your sitting WAY to close to the monitor or the monitor is the size of an IMAX screen . In other words because you see the stuff isn't moving around the monitor your brain isn't telling you to puke because your ears and your eyes agree. This is why you don't hear much about people getting sick watching tv car chase scenes too. But it can happen so make sure your not sitting to close and make sure there is a lot of clutter around your monitor like cups, numerous game magazines, books, diet coke cans...oh wait thats my desk come up with your own set of junk! Hehe seriously though with all this extraneous STATIONARY info coming into your eyes it helps your brain figure it out a lot easier. Some people say put post it notes on your monitor also for example. The reason this helps is as long as most of the stuff you see looks stationary your brain classifies the monitor simply as a moving object.

Unfortunately if this sickness only happens to you with certain games its most likely that what your suffering from is called simulation sickness. The main difference is your getting sick in this case not because your ear and eyes arn't jiving but because your FINGERS and your eyes arn't jiving. This is analogous to the fact that some people get sick being a passenger in a car but it's much rarer for someone to get motion sick when they are the one driving the car. If you ever puked watching someone else play 3d games this is what im talking about and prolly what your suffering from. If your computer isn't doing what you want it to reliably when you tell it to do it then you'll get sick. Your brain wires pathways to do things automatically whenever you learn some new method of motion. For instance when you turn right in the game you think about turning right and your brain kind of subconciously pushes the right key. Your brain has this sort of set expectation about WHEN the screen is going to change in relation to when you push that key. So if your eyes dont' tell your brain what it expects to see it gets confused . This is why some games can cause more problems than others. If a game dosn't give you reliable reaction time due to somewhat sloppy codding or memory leaks or whatever then you can get simulation sickness quickly. Unfortunately it's not as simple as getting your framerates up . My advice to you is try the following.

Put a buncha stuff around your monitor and push it back for starters. Don't let it sit in front of a beige wall that fills up your main cone of vision. If you have an LCD monitor with a very very thin border put post it notes ALL around it so the border looks much bigger. Perhaps try not to run in wide screen mode let the char portraits show etc.

Now if your still having problems start changing settings. The first thing to try is change video modes. I've met people who can simply switch between directx and opengl and it all the sudden dosn't make them sick anymore. Try software rendering too. If the screen is jerky make sure you turn down the resolution the game runs in or the bit depth. I can't say for certain but I'd bet my apples turning off anti aliasing might help a lot due to the way it alters the screen to make it look so smooth. Change mip maping options as well to see if that helps. It's hard to know what will work due to the nature of how a screen refreshe's itself. The best analogy I can think of is this. All those options are apples and every drawing to the screen requires set amount of apples for each option. Now the screen refresh's are like buckets. You want to get all the options to add up right so that the bucket never overflows. This makes the whole process of drawing and refreshing happen steady and reliably and lets your brain get used to it. Basically screw around with the video till you get something that works. If you have spare video cards plop them in and try them out too. If none of that works you might still have one option left even if it's not the most plesurable option.

Basically for those of us who actually know what a cramp is we've got to admit our brains don't work as well as they used too. Teenagers can handle 3d easily because their brain rewires so quickly. If your old enough to have actually seen star wars the first time though your not so lucky. What that means basically is you might get some luck by sitting down dropping some motion sickness drugs and grinning and bearing it for a couple days even if you do get drowsy. After a while your brain might get used to it and you'll find it goes away. Try watching tv while playing to look away ever 2 minutes and not get bored possibly.

I really really hope this helps some of you I had this problem once with quake 2 and I know how much it sucked. I wish you good luck and don't give up if this dosn't happen to you with every 3d game you know of then chances are you will be able to change something in such a way that the game works out for you. Please lete me know if you can get past it I'll cross my fingers for you till then .

-----------------------------------------

Someone on another board this got cross posted to asked about how the inner ear feels and I thought I'd explain that quick to to clear any problems up. Your ear has a kind of set of bubbles in it with fluid in them. In a way they work like a carpenters level. When your body shifts the fluid shifts. Your inner ear detects the shift by thousands and thousands of microscopic hairs along the wall of the bubble. The shifting hairs tell your body which way its leaning kind of like how you feel which way the wind is blowing over your skin.

Anyways sorry for the uber long post [img]smile.gif[/img] .
Amaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 06:43 PM   #50
Jerry Austin
The Magister

When deal with stacked items in the inventory screen try holding down the shift key and clicking on it takes 1 item out,2 fir 2 clicks,3 for 3 clicks,etc.
qwert