Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2001, 10:09 PM   #31
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:

I know where you are coming from with the bad spelling and garbled sentences of native English speakers! I find it difficult as well! However, I wonder if they may be dyslexic and are doing their best?
[img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

i think the means that '|33t' and '|-|4xx02' junk... now THAT is the kind of thing that breeds hate, at least in me! i mean, if they cant use proper letters, who is going go honestly hold any respect for them at all?
Old 11-19-2001, 10:42 PM   #32
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
To be honest, Aelia's joke holds some truth for me...if someone consistently makes a mess of their spelling (and I don't mean simple typos or 'cos' instead of 'because' and 'u' instead of 'you', I'm talking about the really garbled, illegible unintelligible gibberish) I will hold them in less regard and have less patience with their posts. :embarrassed: Call me elitist but I simply can't be bothered to read through posts like that.

Actually I was only half joking. If someone is capable of spelling correctly, but can't be bothered, I have very little time for what they've got to say. It's just as easy to spell correctly as it is to spell badly, and I think it shows that you don't care about the people reading if you can't check for spelling mistakes. I don't think it's elitist at all to expect people to try and make their posts intelligible - it's just good manners.
Old 11-20-2001, 06:10 AM   #33
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:

Actually I was only half joking. If someone is capable of spelling correctly, but can't be bothered, I have very little time for what they've got to say. It's just as easy to spell correctly as it is to spell badly, and I think it shows that you don't care about the people reading if you can't check for spelling mistakes. I don't think it's elitist at all to expect people to try and make their posts intelligible - it's just good manners.

Thank you very much [img]smile.gif[/img] That is exactly what I meant!
Fljotsdale, I agree that dyslexia might be the problem in some case,s but that wouldn't account for the abominable grammar and generally bad way of expressing oneself that I sometimes see. [img]smile.gif[/img]
If someone is dyslectic, of course I will have patience with their spelling, like Aelia said, it's more about people who simply can't be bothered to check their spelling. [img]smile.gif[/img]
As a matter of fact, one of the symptoms of my illness which I have had for about a year is a loss of concentration, short-term memory troubles and difficulties with speech and/or spelling. This is especially frustrating for me as my memory used to be infallible and my spelling impeccable. Nowadys however, I sometimes have to use backspace about ever other letter LOL and I can tell you it's pretty annoying when you want to type nice and it comes out as line (it happened! ) So I think I may have a small idea what it must feel like to dyslectic people. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2001, 06:12 AM   #34
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by 250:
Melusine!! Mez harvent singing yuz four sour lung!!!! Mez ree li meece yuz!!!

LOL

anyway, miss you [img]smile.gif[/img] how are things?

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: 250 ]

Hi 250!! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Missed you too! Hope everything's alright for you these days [img]smile.gif[/img]
Uh...LOL could you please translate that wonderful example of bad spelling for me?
Old 11-20-2001, 06:16 AM   #35
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

quote:
Originally posted by 250:
Melusine!! Mez harvent singing yuz four sour lung!!!! Mez ree li meece yuz!!!
[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: 250 ]

sure, they are chinese, by the way... not really

Translation:

Melusine!! I havent seen you for so long!!!! I really miss you!!!

now, where were you? remember the black minilop? aww... the poor thing was scared to death when the black kitten Zye came near her... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, such a mean devil cat! I need some talk with her [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2001, 08:14 AM   #36
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:

Thank you very much [img]smile.gif[/img] That is exactly what I meant!
Fljotsdale, I agree that dyslexia might be the problem in some case,s but that wouldn't account for the abominable grammar and generally bad way of expressing oneself that I sometimes see. [img]smile.gif[/img]
If someone is dyslectic, of course I will have patience with their spelling, like Aelia said, it's more about people who simply can't be bothered to check their spelling. [img]smile.gif[/img]
As a matter of fact, one of the symptoms of my illness which I have had for about a year is a loss of concentration, short-term memory troubles and difficulties with speech and/or spelling. This is especially frustrating for me as my memory used to be infallible and my spelling impeccable. Nowadys however, I sometimes have to use backspace about ever other letter LOL and I can tell you it's pretty annoying when you want to type nice and it comes out as line (it happened! ) So I think I may have a small idea what it must feel like to dyslectic people. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Gosh, Melusine! You must find that SO frustrating! My spelling has deteriorated as well, so I have to spell-check much more than I used to - but I have a suspicion that the deterioration is DUE to the spellchecker - it makes me mentally lazier, lol!
Old 11-20-2001, 08:16 AM   #37
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:

i think the means that '|33t' and '|-|4xx02' junk... now THAT is the kind of thing that breeds hate, at least in me! i mean, if they cant use proper letters, who is going go honestly hold any respect for them at all?

Really? I haven't seen any posts like that myself - I have obviously not been in the wrong place at the wrong time, lol! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2001, 09:06 AM   #38
Zbyszek

He, he, I am 25+, and can say it depends what we are talking about. If about RPGing, games, chatting and typing I have to say I agree with Melusine - I have no patience to read all that "cos" and "u", it is gibberish for me and I skip such messages (so there is no chance to judge at all ). For chatting and gaming age doesnt matter, even if I know that someone, you Ranger or Neb are younger. (But it was a nasty surprise when I read message from Lioness, that her father had to roll for hours PC in BG1 for her [img]smile.gif[/img] )
Quite different situation is when we are talking about politics, but lets leave politics for War forum.
Old 11-20-2001, 09:42 AM   #39
Manwe
Manshoon

quote:
I'm 15 years old, how old are you?

I'm 17. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2001, 02:30 PM   #40
Barb
Symbol of Cyric

I'm 13 as well. Is there anyone else who is 13? So far I think I know about 7 13year olds on this site and 1 15year old.

Ironworks is good because no one can discriminate because the dont know other peoples ages. Those that do get put in their place quickly by the mods.