Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2002, 10:02 AM   #1
uss
20th Level Warrior

ok, some people have said a child might go crazy when playing killing games.i`m 13 years old and some people in the internet have not been very nice to me because im "just a kid". Do people flame younger playes in this forum? and am i too young to play bg 2 or whatever
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 10:21 AM   #2
Sir Exxon
Zartan

You see, that's one of the things that is so good with Ironworks; age doesnt matter!
This is a family-board, and every single is as well respected as they deserve.
I am also 13, but that have absolutely not been a problem to me.
And if someone act bad against you because of your age, or anything else, just tell Ziroc, and they'll probably get banned, or atleast gets a very strong warning.

see ya!
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 10:43 AM   #3
J'aran
Mephistopheles

quote:
Originally posted by uss:
ok, some people have said a child might go crazy when playing killing games.

I don't think age has a lot to do with that. If people 'lose their grip' and do nasty stuff, and then blame it on a computer game, a record, a movie, book or whatever, then they are, as far as I know, only looking for a way to justify their actions. I'm no psychologist, but it seems to me that if you hear a song which has the words "kill yourself" in it, and then you just go and commit suicide, then you're not completely sane to begin with.

Of course, the mind of a younger child is more impressionable then an adult's mind, and should be sheltered somewhat. But at the age of 13, like you, I'd say that most kids have a firm enough grip on reality to know what's good and what's bad.

quote:
i`m 13 years old and some people in the internet have not been very nice to me because im "just a kid". Do people flame younger playes in this forum?

What, you've been hanging around here for 4 months and you still haven't noticed that we don't flame people?! Sheesh, how old are you, 13? [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/kidding.gif[/img] of course. Here at IW, you get the same level of respect that you give to others, as Exxon said. Be nice to everyone, and you'll be treated the same.

quote:
and am i too young to play bg 2 or whatever

If you know that you shouldn't chase your dog with a kitchen knife pretending you're hunting a Dread Wolf (which I trust you know), you should be quite allright, from my point of view.

[ 03-06-2002: Message edited by: J'aran ]

J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 11:17 AM   #4
fable
Quintesson

quote:
ok, some people have said a child might go crazy when playing killing games.i`m 13 years old and some people in the internet have not been very nice to me because im "just a kid". Do people flame younger playes in this forum? and am i too young to play bg 2 or whatever

Behavior should be the determining factor for how people are treated, not their ages. I suspect we'll disregard your statement of age after this, and only look at how you act up here.

As for killing games and such: there is an influence on kids from violent sources of entertainment: our culture, filled with this sort of thing, is also the most violent one in the world (aside from warzones). The main influence is likely to be television, however, which is far more realistic; most children easily recognize that they're dealing with cartoon-like characters when they "kill" them on a computer screen. And the politicians and such who go after violent computer games, IMO, show their hypocrisy by refusing to attack the much more powerful corporate interests behind television networks.

Them's my opinions, for what they're worth.
fable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 11:23 AM   #5
uss
20th Level Warrior

thanks for the info!
and j`aran, though the sign in my posts says that i registered nov 2001, i actually started being in this site(posting stuff) about 3 weeks ago.
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 11:56 AM   #6
J'aran
Mephistopheles

quote:
and j`aran, though the sign in my posts says that i registered nov 2001, i actually started being in this site(posting stuff) about 3 weeks ago.

Doesn't matter, it was only a joke anyway.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 12:59 PM   #7
duragon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

dont worry about age i've seen older people behave less mature.
Old 03-06-2002, 01:04 PM   #8
Jonaleth
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I started playing bg when I was 12. The only limit really is a mental age limit. some people have a mental age of 8 when they are really 'grown up'.
Old 03-06-2002, 03:27 PM   #9
DJG
Symbol of Cyric

I always thought I was the youngest person on the board! I am thirteen, but can I ask your age(s) to see if I am actually the youngest? You don't have to, but it'd be interesting.

I am born on the 21st of August.
DJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 04:39 PM   #10
Jan

Yep you are way to young kiddo. NO I'M JUST JOKING. Age is no matter. My God!! I'm more than twice as old as you are. Maybe I'm too old for BG2?