Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-10-2004, 01:10 AM   #11
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Didn't know that other countries didn't do the "tip" thing Davros, learn something new every day. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I will say though at some places here in the U.S., they pay waiters/waitresses just minimum wage because they expect them to get tips, so just kinda add that to the "expected" extra money, even though tips are touch and go, depends on where you are working really. Obviously more expensive restaurants you will probably get better tips than some cheap diner.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 10-10-2004, 02:54 AM   #12
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Didn't know that other countries didn't do the "tip" thing Davros, learn something new every day. [img]smile.gif[/img]

That's all right LadyZ - we are becoming more and more Americanized over here though . We are starting to see more and more of the better restaraunts that pay their staff well expecting more and more by way of a tip. Gradually your culture is pervading ours .
Old 10-10-2004, 03:34 AM   #13
Sigmar
Unicorn

Arrow

"I don't tip." "I just don't believe in it."-Mr Pink (Reservoir Dogs)

I tip well in restaurants where the waitress/waiter have been very helpful and friendly. Hell, I tip in Airport cafe's whent he waitress has been rude and impersonal!

BUT I draw the line at Taxi drivers...specifically rude taxi drivers who say nothing throughout the entire journey except the cost of the trip. They'll get a tip from me when they pry it from my cold dead hands! I did tip a taxi driver once in Spain, one that actually talked to me and helped me with my bags...seemingly a rare breed. A hate it when people can expect to get a tip even when they do a crumby job.. then what's the point of a tip, it just becomes part of their automatic wages!

[ 10-10-2004, 03:43 AM: Message edited by: Sigmar ]
Old 10-10-2004, 04:34 AM   #14
wellard
Dracolisk

Tips no way!

Davros why do you tip in the UK? ive never noticed a need too! I wonder if things have changed recantly, soon find out I guess.

I know that if and when I visit the USA I will not enjoy having to tip and would only do so if the service was way above what I would expect.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 10-10-2004, 05:28 AM   #15
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

No and never, They already chanrge us very high on the service charge. There is no need for a tip and nobody is expecting it or giving tips either.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:42 AM   #16
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

I do if I'm in a restaurant or the like, but not in McDonalds or anything, (does anyone tip there?)

Also, always remember the seen in Pretty Woman, where she is in the room, and the room service guy just stares at her.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:59 AM   #17
Stratos
Vampire

Tipping here isn't 'required' as waiters and waitresses get's a somewhat decent salary already, but it's nothing unusual, especially not at resturants.

I myself usualy give a small tip at resturants, unless they've been complete a-holes, either by adding a small sum to the total paid or simply rounding up the bill to an even number.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:05 AM   #18
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Nor i is reuired here, but I always do. Unless someone really pisses me off(a full centimeter of coffee less ). Then I don't. But I normally do. About 10% I'd say.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:13 AM   #19
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

In the US, waiters/waitresses are exempted from the minimum wage law. They can be paid less, and need tips to get back up to a decent level. Plus, my first job out of high school was in a "chain" steak house -- I saw how hard they worked. I usually overtip, say 20% instead of the usual 15%, unless the service was *really* bad. Even then I'll leave something just so they don't think I forgot.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
Old 10-10-2004, 09:30 AM   #20
Arvon
Unicorn

I usually tip except in fastfood places. The amount varies as to service and the size of the tab.

53.7% of all statistics are made up