Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-18-2004, 03:39 PM   #1
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

My 56k connection runs through me phone sockets and one of the wires on the circuit board has come off. So since i'm short of a soldering Iron i stuck it back on with blue tack. Just wondering if thats safe or if it'll probabaly catch fire any second...

Cheers

[img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2004, 03:44 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

All I know is that there is not enough juice in that line to fry your hair. I am talking with experience here.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:48 PM   #3
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Well I know less about electronics than I know about the relation between melons and how their atomic structure helps develop theories of spoons on venus.

So its safe then? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2004, 03:51 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

You said Blue Tack...What is that? If it is anything like electrical tape, then yes you are fine. Just as long as the "tack" prevents contact with other items and is not conductive...and stays on. Phone lines have low currency, from what I have seen.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:11 PM   #5
andrewas
Harper

Blue Tak is a sticky nlue substance for putting posters on walls without damaging them. THis is the first Ive heard of it being used for electronic repair. I wouldn't like to be on it being 100% non-conductive, but at these voltages its safe. Just dont try it with a mains cable.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:53 PM   #6
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
You said Blue Tack...What is that? If it is anything like electrical tape, then yes you are fine.
Ermmmmmmmmm....

Well it was a choice between the bluetack and your average selotape. So I chose the tack. Covered it up pretty well so I doubt theres any conduction going on. And I did it about an hour ago, no smoke yet [img]tongue.gif[/img] So i think im safe
Old 02-18-2004, 06:26 PM   #7
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

I'd say it was pretty safe since blue tack is pretty much an insulator - well non-metallic substances tend to be. Besides, there shouldn't be any current flowing through it anyway unless you've stuck both the ground and live wires with it (even then its resistance would be too high for any dangerous current to flow through it).
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 02-18-2004, 07:15 PM   #8
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

blue tack is sweet
Old 02-18-2004, 07:34 PM   #9
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by Downunda:
blue tack is sweet
That's not good. Sweet usually means sugar, and sugar is very conducive to electrical current!

I could not identify blue tack from my kids cheerios, so I cannot say. But I'm concerned on how much you used. Me tinks you said "covered it up pretty well" if it is in fact conducive, then you could run a short to ground. Which could short out both the modem and your phone. But ONLY if it's conducive. I would use less and not allow it to touch ground, (Bare Metal) or use a spot of hotglue. Hotglue is liquid so make sure there is no power to the board when you tack it. Once it solidifies, about 3 good minutes it should be just fine.

If it's conducive to electricity, it will have some type of metal or liquid subsatance, or both in it.

Then again, if you have made this post and read these post', then it is probably non-conducive.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:28 PM   #10
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

*sigh* for those that don't know blue-tack it's physically slightly similar to plasticine but more sticky, less squashy and holds together more strongly - highly dubious conductor [img]tongue.gif[/img] LOL

[ 02-18-2004, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray