Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2003, 05:50 AM   #1
wellard
Dracolisk

G'day guys and girls

I'm going to be buying a BBQ this week, and as it will be my first I've being asking opinions and like noses every one as got one. Now I'm just more confused. I will be buying in the mid range price bracket. The BBQ will be left outside.

So should I go for stainless or cast iron? Or even iron/wood? Should I go for a hood with spit attachment or is that a feature everyone gets but no one uses? Should I get one that uses volcanic rock or not? Side burners, useful or a waste of needed work space?

The great BBQ debate begins here......and of course you are all invited to try out the winning choice.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 08-24-2003, 06:44 AM   #2
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

i dont know much about bbq but i wish you all the luck mate [img]smile.gif[/img] and have fun making steaks when you get a nice bbq grill .. mmmm.. im getting hungry now.

[ 08-24-2003, 06:45 AM: Message edited by: Harkoliar ]

Catch me if you can..
Old 08-24-2003, 08:19 AM   #3
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Question Mark

Questions, Quest..

Gas is hotter, faster, and easier than charcoal. Volcanic rock.
Charcoal makes for a better taste, and a longer slower cook plus soaked wood etc.. options..

Never seen a cast iron one before. But have used a few stainless, and one not so stainless. Gas = Stainless. Charcoal = (powder coated) steel. Wood trim does get hot, and will dry and crack fast if not taken care of weekly. Go for spacers to put a little air pocket between the wood and metal.

Side burners are great for side dishes, especially when it's hot out, and your significant other does not want to fix anything at all.

Go for the swing down vegtable basket, you will find many uses for it. Corn on cob, vegtable kabobs etc..

Our grilling season should be comming to an end soon, but with this weather, I think we have at least 4 more weekends of prime grilling.

Happy Cooking

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:45 AM   #4
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

wellard, going off my experiences, and knowing Sydney, I'd go a stainless steel gas bbq.

Reasons -
stainless won't rust like cast iron will;
lighter to move around;
no wood to crack after long weeks sitting in Sydney summer sun cause you can't be buggered moving it the two feet back undercover;
gas is quicker - better for those sunny days that turn rainy real quick;
being quicker, you don't drink so much beer before your food is ready, that you have no room left for said food...

I may have more later...
Old 08-24-2003, 09:58 AM   #5
wellard
Dracolisk

The wood thing is on two cheaper BBQs i've seen with wood side shelves, and I agree I don't think they are a good idea.

As for the cast iron and rust V the expence of the stainless. that is one of the great debates I have heard. If you spray oil on the cast iron ones regulary it will prevent rust, and stainless is easier to clean [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

What about hoods?

Old 08-24-2003, 10:25 AM   #6
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

I don't see the necessity in hoods. They're good for slow cooking; but of much more value I think, is an enclosed cooker section - like a smaller bit with a hood/cover - makes great roasts...
Old 08-24-2003, 11:38 AM   #7
mysticelt
Drow Warrior

Well'Ard

You need a hood - cooking at the right temp is not going to happen if
you can't cover it.

Gas is easiest and fastest and always ready. Won't add as much of the bad
burnt stuff to the meat that causes cancer (you can always add water soaked
wood chips if you like!)

Stainless is rustproof - and the paint won't be chipping - it is still all a beatch to clean but stainless is easier and what I have after the 5th one!

Side burners - still don't use them. I do use a basket that stuff doesn't fall
thru on the grill for veggies and stuff. I have a rottisserie - probably should
use it! (Dogs kept unplugging it!)

We use ours all year round. If you have the cover and the gas then you will appreciate it more in February!
Old 08-25-2003, 08:52 AM   #8
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I think my advice is similar to the others you've recieved. Get one that won't rust or that you can rustproof, has a cover/hood to keep heat in while cooking and I'm partial to gas grills- less mess, faster heat up.

I agree with Mysti, the side burners aren't all that great. My dad's rarely works right (the gas is uneven. I didn't bother with one on our new grill, figuring I can cook things inside if I need a burner.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:03 AM   #9
wellard
Dracolisk

The argument against a hood is

1) everyone stands there and chats to keep an eye on the meat anyway, so by covering up you are missing out on a great BBQ ritual [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

2) no one uses the spit to roast anyway

sooooooo does any one actually use the hood to cook a roast? and does stainless BBQ actually prevent rust because some people say in the act of cleaning, the surfaces get scratched and rust anyway?

Old 08-25-2003, 09:07 AM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

My own experience (having purchased and still using one grill)...

Skip the side cookers. Unless you plan to actually cook five or six things at a time on the grill (and manage the whole process), they won't come into play. I have never seen anyone who has them use them.

Avoid the neat little window that lets you see what's cooking. If you want to see, you'll open the top anyway, and it's an engineering weak spot in the design. What happens when the little pane of glass breaks? It's not like you can run down to your local convenience store to pick up another one

Do get one with readily available replacement parts. Seriously. Last week, I replaced the burner assembly on this one for the fourth or fifth time. The cooking grill itself, the burner, the lighting mechanism... they all will age, and rather ungracefully. It's amazing how metal can corrode, even when it's not directly exposed to the elements.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.