Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2000, 04:10 AM   #1
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hi there!
I would like some help with the choosing of which spells and scrolls I will choose for my mage sin BG2. Since I´m an old player of the D&D game and only have played Bards and Rangers or fighters, even a Paladin once, this magic stuff is a bit confusing. There are so many and you find out that some spells are more or less useless and others are vital since many enemies are pretty bloody dangerous, so whick spells are the best to memorize and which are best for defence, attck and counterattck like breech.
Are there anyway to remove spells from your spellbook permaently?
Old 12-05-2000, 08:12 AM   #2
WOLFGIR

BUMP!!

Pretty please with sugar on top; could someone please help me out here????
Old 12-05-2000, 09:35 AM   #3
Kaël

Ehm wolfie 4 houres ain't that much so be patiant

I think you should really try out the spells your self
as the use spell effect are subjectief to the ones who cast them

And no you cannot remove spells

Old 12-05-2000, 10:00 AM   #4
WOLFGIR

Kaël

Thanx!
Old 12-05-2000, 10:54 AM   #5
Zenith
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Kael is correct in that each person finds different uses for spells and spell combos. You definitely need defence spells like pierce and breach. Person affecting spells are useful but be careful with spells like Tenser's transformation. I used it for my mage and lost the ability to cast for the duration of the spell, making him otherwise useless as a mage. From another paper and pen player with more experience w/ fighter types, the spell lists have been pared down considerably and are not as intimidating. Check out the spell descriptions in the manual (there should be a copy on the comp even w/ a medium install) and experiment (half the fun of the computer- Do-Over City doesn't exist in the paper and pen world!)
Old 12-05-2000, 10:58 AM   #6
WOLFGIR

Thanx!
Well sure all thoose spells are bette suited to test for yourself, however, to have filled your ful of high level spells that sounds good, there are some, and then find out that they sux is a bit disapointing, I would like the blak isle guys to take into consideration that some people maybe wants to edit their spellbooks. This canot be to hard? I mean they did make this game!!! Well well.. Not try, do or do not!
Old 12-05-2000, 01:15 PM   #7
Zenith
Elite Waterdeep Guard

oh, i absolutely agree that there should be some way to edit, although i have heard about a way to get around the limits on the number of spells you can memorize per level. Drink a potion of genius before memorizing (i would collect a bunch of spells before drinking so as to not have to resort to the potion too many times). This helps to get around those useless spells that get memorized before you've realized that they are just taking up space in the spellbook.
Old 12-05-2000, 05:46 PM   #8
Armisael

I think it's fair that you can't remove spells from your book. Otherwise you could find a scroll, remove the spell and get the EP from learning it again. The spellbook's just a representation of the spells you've bothered to learn, anyway, they're really supposed to be stored in your head.

Old 12-05-2000, 05:50 PM   #9
Mustaine

Actually according to the pen and paper, you actually DO have a spellbook. The spells stored in your head are "memorized" meaning that the spell has actually been "cast" in a sence and is stored in your head. When you then physically cast the spell, you're simply releasing the power stored...hence the reason you can only memorize a certain number of spells.

I don't remember where I read that, but I'm pretty sure it's accurate....and I do know that spell books exist because there are many adventures out there where you can pick up a casters book after you kill him.

I believe this is only for mages...and clerics have a set of spells that their diety will give them, and they have to pray for them each time they're cast...not sure how that is supposed to work for "memorization" though.

Old 12-05-2000, 07:48 PM   #10
Armisael

Yes, that's true, I got confused. But I still think it's fair that you can't blot spells out of your book.