Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-11-2004, 11:14 PM   #1
warnie
Dungeon Master

Smiley

A man attacked by a small shark swam 300 metres, walked to his car and drove to a local surf club to get help while the shark was still attached to his leg.

The wobbegong, or so-called carpet shark, attacked 22-year-old Luke Tresoglavic yesterday as he was snorkelling on a reef off Caves Beach, south of Newcastle.

Mr Tresoglavic said today that when the 60 centimetre shark attacked him, he "instantly grabbed hold of it with both hands as hard as I could to stop it shaking".

"I just realised I had to swim in like that, hanging on to it," he told ABC radio.

"Once I got on to shore, a couple of people tried to help me but I could not remove it, it was stuck there.

"So I got up into my car and then drove to the clubhouse and luckily the guys down there had a clue what to do."

Senior lifeguard Michael Jones could hardly believe his eyes when Mr Tresoglavic turned up. "The first we knew of it was a bloke lobbed up here at the lifeguard tower with a shark attached to his leg," Mr Jones said.

"He basically asked the question, 'Can you help me get it off?' - there's nothing in our procedure manual for that type of thing.

"It latched on and wouldn't let go, it was thrashing around and he's lucky he didn't get into difficulties in the water trying to swim with that thing thrashing around."

With the help of another lifeguard, all three men took hold of the shark and attempted to flush its gills with fresh water to make it loosen its grip on Mr Tresoglavic's leg.

"I grabbed the tail and one jaw, Luke grabbed the other jaw and my partner, the other beach inspector, flushed it with water and we were able to get it off without creating too much more tissue damage," Mr Jones said.

With blood oozing from 70 needle-like punctures in his leg, Mr Tresoglavic drove to hospital, taking the dead shark with him.

Mr Jones said Mr Tresoglavic remained in good spirits throughout the ordeal.

"There was a side of humour to it," he said.

The last shark sighting at the beach was seven years ago, although it is common for them to linger around the reef flushed with fish.

Wobbegong sharks can grow up to three metres in length, have razor-like teeth and are said to be moody and short-tempered.

AAP
Old 02-12-2004, 12:01 AM   #2
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Deja vu [img]graemlins/crazyeyes.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2004, 12:02 AM   #3
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Yep, someone bet you to it.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/no...;f=10;t=019133

[ 02-12-2004, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 02-12-2004, 12:11 AM   #4
warnie
Dungeon Master

lol try this then...

Woman strikes oil in toilet

A woman struck oil in a strange way when she came home from work to find her toilet gushing with "Texas tea".

Liela LeTourneau returned from her work as a nurse on Monday to find oil gushing out of everything in her house connected to the water drainage lines, including her kitchen sink and toilet.

The floor of her Longview residence was drenched with a thick coating of what locals call "Texas Tea".

Texas state and Longview city officials said today they believe that a mix-up in sewer lines connected to the house might be the cause of the oil spill.

"There was this black [ooze] coming out from my house. I thought, 'What have I left on? What has my son left on that's spilled over?"' LeTourneau told the local daily Longview News-Journal. She had moved into a rental home due to the oil spill and was not immediately available for comment.

Longview city officials said they believe the trouble was due to the residence being connected to a line used to dispose of saltwater instead of a sewage line. Saltwater disposal lines are used in the oil production process as a conduit to drain off liquids associated with that process - mostly saltwater.

advertisement

advertisement

The saltwater disposal line became backed up, and oil seeped out of that line, turning the LeTourneau home into an oil patch, they said.

"I was always proud to have an oil derrick in my back yard. Every Texan should have one," she told the paper. "Now, I don't know."
Old 02-12-2004, 12:27 AM   #5
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

and she could have struck rich

Catch me if you can..
Old 02-12-2004, 12:45 AM   #6
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
and she could have struck rich
"Stinking Rich" would be an appropriate description. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]