Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-11-2004, 10:43 PM   #1
MagiK

If you plan on purchasing computer equipment on line. I would like to warn you all to think twice about using a company called, TigerDirect.com.
Over the past several months and just this past week, I have had nothing but regrets and problems with this company. From Defective equipment that they are reluctant to take back and/or replace to Delayed shipping issues even though you are charged for the premium shipping....and most egregious in my mind bait and switch tactics. Case in Point, selling OEM CPU's that when you click on the item to see what you are getting, you see the picture of the retail version (in a box with an Intel fan and heat sink)...OEM's don't come in a box nor do they have fans or heat sinks.

Anyway just wanted to warn people. Some may wish to try their luck but I wish someone had warned me before I tried them.

Old 02-11-2004, 10:46 PM   #2
Albromor
Mephistopheles

MagiK, if you are not aware of it yet, go over to www.resellerratings.com They have TONS of reviews from people like you and me that rate online computer stores like Tiger Dirict. Your voice needs to be heard.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:49 PM   #3
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Thanks for the warning. For reasons like this I have never purchase anything costs more than $50.00 from the net.

Quote:
Originally posted by Albromor:
MagiK, if you are not aware of it yet, go over to www.resellerratings.com They have TONS of reviews from people like you and me that rate online computer stores like Tiger Dirict. Your voice needs to be heard.
Tiger Direct seems to have a not-so-bad rating from the site you posted. I wonder if Magik needs to post something nasty there to get their attention.

[ 02-11-2004, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 02-11-2004, 10:56 PM   #4
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Paladin, my fiance and I have had very good luck with another company, www.zipzoomfly.com and I know some friends have had luck with other companies. I can vouch for zipzoomfly's customer service as we've done a fair amount of business with them for ourselves or friends.

Nice link, Albromor. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2004, 11:01 PM   #5
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Paladin, my fiance and I have had very good luck with another company, www.zipzoomfly.com and I know some friends have had luck with other companies. I can vouch for zipzoomfly's customer service as we've done a fair amount of business with them for ourselves or friends.

Nice link, Albromor. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Thanks for the link Cloudy. Anyway, I still prefers to shop for PCs offline--usually from retailers that I know. If anything goes wrong, they will know that I am just a phone call and a nasty shout away.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:38 AM   #6
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I bought my current system online a little over a year ago. To date, the only problem I've had with it is that the DVD drive has become very picky about what it can or can't read.

For example, I loaded most of my games on this PC using the DVD drive (which made it the default drive the PC used to look for the CD when I played them again). For some reason, the PC wouldn't recognize the CD in many cases (like with BGII). The problem was solved by un-installing the games, then RE-installing them using the CDWR drive. ALL my games work just fine now.

So I apparantly got a defective DVD drive. That bites (a little), but there is a local store I can use to replace it, so it isn't really THAT big of a deal.

However, I WILL use the local store from now own for much the same reason as Paladin. If I DO have a problem with their hardward, their store is on my way to and from work, so I can stop in anytime.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:57 AM   #7
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Paladin 2000, yes, I believe MagiK should go over there and spell it out as it happened. Believe me, the retailers certainly read them. I have used zipzoomfly as well as Newegg.com. By using resellerratings I have saved myself major headaches and every piece I have bought so far for my computer online, i.e. motherboard, CPU, power supply, and video card, not a problem to be found. Plus, depending on the deal at the time I have not had to pay shipping in most cases.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:23 PM   #8
Rokenn
Galvatron

I've made several purchases from NewEgg.com and have had excellant service from them.

On the other had an outfit called Komusa tech shorted me on a memory order (I ordered 2gig, they sent me 1gig). Im in the middle of the RMA process with them right now. Meaning my computer has no RAM

I hope your issue gets resolved soon Magik.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:45 PM   #9
GForce

I read about Tiger Direct and not have done business with them before or ever. I think this puts a stamper that I won't be going there at all. Besides, I like Newegg or Amazon or best Buy or CompUSA. Newegg gets my best vote.