Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2001, 02:46 PM   #1
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Title of the thread is self-explanatory, but let me elaborate.

Somewhere out there among the vast websites I've visited I forgot to check the little box that says "No, I don't want to hear about your special offers." Now I get about 5-10 e-mails daily about useless stuff. For a while I replied to sender "remove" but after a while I just gave up and deleted them.

It gets so bad sometimes that I get the same message from 4 different e-mail addresses. I would rather not change my personal e-mail since I often ask other teachers to e-mail me at home if they need to contact me after school.

Any suggestions? I've done a bit of reading/research (trace routes and such), but I don't know the most efficient means of dealing with this.

------------------
Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.
Old 05-04-2001, 02:51 PM   #2
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

In Outlook, you go to actions, then down to junk email and with the offending email highlighted, you go to add to junk mail sender list. You can also email them telling them not to send you anything, but that doesn't always work.

Good luck!

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)
Old 05-04-2001, 02:52 PM   #3
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Father Bronze:
Title of the thread is self-explanatory, but let me elaborate.

Somewhere out there among the vast websites I've visited I forgot to check the little box that says "No, I don't want to hear about your special offers." Now I get about 5-10 e-mails daily about useless stuff. For a while I replied to sender "remove" but after a while I just gave up and deleted them.

It gets so bad sometimes that I get the same message from 4 different e-mail addresses. I would rather not change my personal e-mail since I often ask other teachers to e-mail me at home if they need to contact me after school.

Any suggestions? I've done a bit of reading/research (trace routes and such), but I don't know the most efficient means of dealing with this.

If you are talking about a hotmail account. They have a junk mail folder. If you don't have it activated, all you gotta do is go to your preferences and turn it on. This will stop e-mail not mailed directly to you. If it is going directly to you, then when you open up the mail, you can select block sender. I used to do this, but was getting a gazillion e-mails. One way that works (drastic) is to close the e-mail from receiving mail. After awhile (maybe a month) so many sites will get returned mail that they will think you have dropped your account and will stop sending. Usually the methods I listed first, turn on junk mail folder and using the block sender will stop about 75% of the junk mail. Hope that helps you.

------------------

Protectorate of the OHF
Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 05-04-2001, 03:01 PM   #4
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Actually, I don't use my hotmail that often, nor Outlook (use Netscape or Eudora).
Old 05-04-2001, 03:18 PM   #5
Epona
Zartan

As I understand it the worst thing you can do is reply to them asking them to remove you from their mailing list - it simply confirms that the account is active and so you get flooded with yet more.
If they are completely unsolicited you can contact the ISP of the sender or webmaster whatever.
For example I get a lot that come from yahoo e-mail accounts - with those you forward them to: abuse@yahoo.com : and the offenders account is closed.
That's the only thing I can suggest.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Old 05-04-2001, 03:20 PM   #6
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Father Bronze:
Actually, I don't use my hotmail that often, nor Outlook (use Netscape or Eudora).
Not really sure about either of those packages. I used to use Eudora a long time ago. I've been using Hotmail or AOL since. I'm sure there's a way though. Most programs have filters. You could try a wild search in help for filters or blocking. They may be able to tell you how to do it.

------------------

Protectorate of the OHF
Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 05-04-2001, 03:22 PM   #7
Moni

I have never had a problem writing the sender directly and telling them to remove me from their list. Of course, if I have to write them a second time, they get to see a nastier (but still nice) side of me and I have never had to ask a third time.

Moni

Old 05-04-2001, 03:24 PM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

There's only one problem with the "Junk Mail Blocking" in Outlook...it's not always effective. See, many of these slimebuckets that SPAM create multiple accounts called "Aliases." I was getting some mail from someone known as tigger525@clickherenow.com or something like that. So I blocked him. Well, the next day I got some more spam...from tigger526@clickherenow.com. See, all he does is change the number.

Best thing to do is "domain block" if you can do it. I blocked anyone from "clickherenow.com" from sending me e-mail. If your browser won't let you domain-block, set up some mailing filters using the "Rules Wizard" in Outlook (Tools -> Rules Wizard) or in the Options screen of most web accounts.

Old 05-04-2001, 03:41 PM   #9
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
There's only one problem with the "Junk Mail Blocking" in Outlook...it's not always effective. See, many of these slimebuckets that SPAM create multiple accounts called "Aliases." I was getting some mail from someone known as tigger525@clickherenow.com or something like that. So I blocked him. Well, the next day I got some more spam...from tigger526@clickherenow.com. See, all he does is change the number.

Best thing to do is "domain block" if you can do it. I blocked anyone from "clickherenow.com" from sending me e-mail. If your browser won't let you domain-block, set up some mailing filters using the "Rules Wizard" in Outlook (Tools -> Rules Wizard) or in the Options screen of most web accounts.

Excellent advice. I hadn't thought to do that. I've had success with the 1 month option listed above. I only get maybe 5 or so junk mail dealios a day now. I don't mind that. I used to get 150 per day. LOL. I might have to see if I have a block domain filter. I figure that Eudora should have something set up though.

------------------

Protectorate of the OHF
Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 05-05-2001, 12:52 AM   #10
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

I wrote them an E-mail saying that I was 10 years old and that my mommy & daddy didn't want me see that kind of stuff. First the prono sites dropped my account then the rest followed suit. Most of them use mailing services kinda like the ones that send regular junk mail. They talk to each other.