Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2006, 10:28 AM   #21
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

A well made point there Lavindathar. There is no doubt there is alot of work required to get the best materia's/Gold Chocobo etc. TBH I had slightly forgot how much work is required to get a gold chocobo, as I haven't played the game in such a long time. I found the easiest way to raise the gil needed though was to sell a mastered "all" materia, as this sells for about 1 and a half milion gil. The rest is very time consuming though, no doubt.

So after some consideration this is my thoughts: FFVII if you play through just the story is a moderate to easy game, difficulty wise. However to do everything alot of time and effort is required. So, basically this game is well worth the time you will spend on it if you want to do everything. It is great value for money as I am sure it is very cheap now.

So, Klorox any thoughts on what game you might want to buy? If you need any help deciding you may want to visit one of my favorite websites:

www.rpgamer.com

This website has very good reviews. They never seem to rate poor games highly and there are reviews of just about every RPG around.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:38 PM   #22
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Time is not the same thing as difficulty. Just because something take a lot of time doesn't mean it's hard.

My 10 years old english illiterate cousin could farm money. In fact, he could level to level 99 if I put him in one spot, my brother actually used him that way multiple times to level in World of Warcraft.

[ 09-25-2006, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 09-27-2006, 02:38 PM   #23
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Amphetamine Machine:
Wasteland

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=2425
Blast from the past, this one, but an absolute classic. I remember writing a fiction piece about this when I was at school.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:05 PM   #24
Dave G
Elite Waterdeep Guard

FF7, for the win. It deserves a "FTW", it truly does. But, contrary to what Lavindathar is arguing until his text is blue (get it?), it isn't that hard. That's not to say you'll blaze through it. Difficult is about right. If you're familiar with console RPGs at all, you won't have any problems at all. Just explore everything and you'll find pretty much everything you need. At the end there is Ruby and Emerald weapon, which are far more difficult than the final boss and pose a challange. But again, not a hard game unless you make it hard for some reason.

Also, check out Fallout and Wizardry 8.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:08 PM   #25
dregnus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

My favorite RPGS:

Might and Magic 6, 7, and 8: Six because you could make a powerhouse team of the hybrids (archer, paladin, cleric and sorcerer for light and dark) and destroy everything. 7 because it was the best might and magic game of that engine, and 8 because its a quicker game and either really easy (with dragons) or somewhat difficult.

Neverwinter Nights: Actually never finished any of the original campaigns. Some guy made this EFU mod which took most of my time with that game...
Old 10-13-2006, 04:41 AM   #26
Andraste
Manshoon

The best for storytelling has to be Planescape Torment.

The game that has most pulled me into 'being' the character is Thief I & II (The Dark Project and The Metal Age)

The most replayable is the Bauldur's Gate Trilogy
Andraste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:28 AM   #27
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I'm going to have to put Wizardry 8 first. It's just so darn good.

Might and Magic 6, 7, and 8 were also very good! I have not played FF7 (who the heck can find it) but I'm sure it would be in my list.

I lost 6-7 pounds playing FF1; living on 3-4 hours of sleep per day. It was unbeatable for it's time.

I'll also throw in Temple of Elemental Evil and Pool of Radiance. I really liked the turn-based combat of these 2 games.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:03 PM   #28
Dajjer
The Magister

A bunch of great suggestions and most I agree with. But to me, console RPGs play different than computer RPGs so my list would be as follows.

Assuming you have a modern rig and don't feel like doing the Win 95 / 98 thing

1) Gothic (1, 2 or 3)
2) Arx Fatalis
3) Divine Divinity
4) Morrowwind
5) Sacred

Assuming Play Station 2

1) Dragone Quest 7
2) Bards Tale (crappy gameplay but absolutely hilarious)
3) Xenosaga
4) Arc the Lad

If you are low on funds and want to do some real old school stuff thats free.

Helleron (party based)
Dink Smallwood (single player)
Dajjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 03:28 PM   #29
bakrus
The Magister

sny of the d&d forgotten realms based games!!!

elder scrolls or m&m series ( m&M7 is best=)=)
Old 11-12-2006, 06:06 PM   #30
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

FF7 is easily squares best FF title todate, and the Baldurs Gate and Fallout series are still up there as two of my all time favourites, however I'm surprised no one has mentioned my all time favourite RPG Series.... Quest for Glory.

Yeah the Quest for Glory games are really, really outdated by todays standards (even the remake), however RPG's are one of those genre's that dont need cutting edge graphics and uber computers running them to be good games, and the QFG games were good games, to this day I have never come across an RPG like them, they were kind of a blend of grapical adventure games (Monkey Island, Simon the Sorceror etc) and your more traditional CRPG games. The level up system was unique, you didnt level up your character by gaining exp from slain enemies, instead skills and stat's leveled up independantly of each other based on how often you used those abilities, if you spent a lot of time picking locks then your lock picking skill would go up, if you ran everywhere, you would notice your stamina begin to raise, it was a great system.

Each game had its own theme and setting, and one of the great things about the series was it was the first game that allowed you to import your character from the first game through the series, which was fantastic for people who owned all the games, as cetain items, spells and abilities could only be obtained from certain games, yet they could be used in all the games allowing you to play through the game in new ways, unlock new area's that could only be unlocked by playing the previous games. You can even unlock a new job class at the end of the second game, which had its own storyline and side quests in the other QFG games, yet in order to play that job class you had to have finished the second game meeting the requirements for unlocking it, and then import the character.

The thing that really made the QFG games stand out for me though, it was the first series I ever played that felt truely epic, The storylines were great, the worlds and area's rich and vibrant, and the characters interesting and highly polished, no CRPG has ever come close to QFG for me.

OMG I'm gonna stop now, I'm begining to sound like some QFG salesman, guess I just got caught up in the nostalgia.

[ 11-12-2006, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: Daniel ]
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote