Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2004, 04:18 PM   #1
Malavon's Rage
Elminster

Yup that's the topic. The question is this...

Why are Caeser Salads called Caeser Salads?

In my english class we're reading Julius Caeser and in my overflowing brilliance, brought up this very question. And of course no one could answer my curiosity . So now I bring an unsolved mystey to the IW forums where I know such intellectuals such as yourselves can quench my thirst of the answer of "Why are Caeser Salads called Caeser Salads?"
Old 01-22-2004, 04:26 PM   #2
Rokenn
Galvatron

I always thought it was originally from Caeser's Palace in Las Vegas. But here is what google says:

This recipe was created in 1924 by Caesar Cardini, an Italian restaurateur in Tijuana, Mexico. That's right, the salad is named after it's creator, a Chef, not Julius Caesar of the famed Roman empire.

[ 01-22-2004, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Rokenn ]
Old 01-22-2004, 04:53 PM   #3
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Well if you are looking for history that stems all the way back to good ole Julius then I wish you luck in finding it. The reason being that a "Ceasar" salad, or more importantly a "see Sir" salad was a much more recent invention.

The history of the salad stems back to the Great War, which of course most people know as WW1. Captain Sir Archibald Pompsingay was dining with a firebrand young American volounteer - a Leftenant by the name of J Dough. They were behind the lines by about 10 miles in a little French village of D'Uriage, and Archie's batman was the guy that actually invented the salad.

The basic story is that the faithful servant - one William Robbins served up the salad to the pair of them with a host of explanations about what he had done. See sir - I added some crispy bacon bits, and see Sir, there are real croutons, and see Sir this funny lettuce I have used is fantastically crunchy. You just see Sir - you'll love it sir - you just see Sir. At that point, Archie with a broad smile and a grin dubbed the fabulous new creation the "see Sir" Salad.

His good friend John was delighted with the meal, and decided to take back the details of the salad to his own officers mess. When asked what it was called he told his fellow Americans that it was a "see Sir" salad. Sadly though, the Americans and the British are countries divided by a common tongue, and far too quickly the American version was corrupted on the spelling side to what we currently know as the "Ceasar Salad". It is sad to see that the history of this great salad has been almost forgotten.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:56 PM   #4
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Thief - it's ouooors my precious - Cardini stole the idea 7 years later. What a fraudster .