Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2002, 07:02 PM   #1
skywalker
Banned User

Pardon me my musings, but....

Today on VPR (Vermont Public Radio)I heard a story about a Rutland man, either accused or guilty of murder getting the death penalty which was approved by Attorney General Ashcroft and something struck me about the story.

Last year I sort of remember Ashcroft denying terminally ill patients the right to an assisted suicide (in Washington or Oregon, I think).

I find odd that he seems to have no problem recommending people who don't want to die to a death sentence, but denies people who want to die, the right to die with dignity.

Forgive me if I'm out of line, but I find the second part of it sad. I do feel that if i want to die I should be able to make that choice when the time comes (if I am sane enough to make the choice, of course.

On another completely different note, I think he is a little more than odd, when he wants statues that are nude to be covered if the statues are behind him when he speaks in public. These are statues that have been in place for many years before he was born and they never caused a stir for anyone else. He's a very strange man.

Mark
Old 01-30-2002, 07:23 PM   #2
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

I remember reading about the stautes at least, Ashcroft is anti pretty much everything, and feels that the press are mocking him when the semi-naked staute of justice is pictured behind him.
Old 01-30-2002, 08:17 PM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I don't see that big a deal regarding his opinion on the first two, as they are completely unrelated, but covering nude statues behind him when he appears in public?

I hadn't heard that last before, and it's a bit much [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2002, 04:30 AM   #4
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Yea, I agree with Ronn_Bman, death-sentence and euthanasia are two very different things. However, I do agree with you that a terminally ill patient who will suffer from severe pain, be it physically or emotionally, for the short remainder of his life, should be given the right to end his life, to die with at least some dignity and as painlessly as possible.

That thingy about the statues is just plain silly though. Politicians can be wierd sometimes, when they feel that their credibility is questioned, they can do funny stuff, which usually just generates the opposite result of what they're trying to accomplish.