Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #41
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Re: Remember that Dutch comic about Mohamad?

In my opinion for these kind of discussions to work people need to spend less time stating what they believe in and more time telling why they believe in something and why it's right for them.

In other words; share a little of yourself. This is the kind of discussions which can only work in a "sitting at the fireside with a good friend, enjoying a good drink." kind of mood. Less soapbox and more open heart.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:37 PM   #42
Lavindathar
Harper

Default Re: Remember that Dutch comic about Mohamad?

You first Luvian
Old 09-07-2008, 07:37 PM   #43
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavindathar View Post
I love watchin beau post on religious topics, as me and him have got to be the most "non religious" people out there.

But tbh, I agree with my brother for the most part.

But personally, I think we should abolish all forms of religion and outlaw practicing any religion.

The only religion, if you can call it that, that gets anywhere close to being worth while, is Buddhism.
You can't really outlaw religion without going against some basic norms and values of our societies; freedom of speech, freedom of association etc.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:44 PM   #44
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavindathar View Post
Of course I meant organised religion, but total religion free wouldn't be a bad thing.
It's difficult to seperate between religion and organized religion. Religious individuals, as with any other worldviews, tend to organize themselves into groups. Inevitable, really.

Of course, religious organizations can suffer from the same pathologies as any other organization or group; group mentality, stagnation, corruption, sanctimonousness etc.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:52 PM   #45
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonshadow View Post
I think I'm with Beau and Lav on this one. I don't believe in any religion (I came close to converting to Buddhism after going to Tibet for a while a coule of years ago, but that is a different story). To be honest, I don't see how people can believe in someone or something which there is no evidence to support.
Plus I'm cautios of religion after several of the times I have been attacked (mainly mental and verbal attacks) were from very religious people because I don't beleive in a god. That's not to say I hate religion - I do work for the salvation army, which I believe is a Christian charity, no? But I do agree with Lav that religion has caused a lot of problems, and while people have differing opinions on it, it will continue to do so.
Anyway, just my (poorly written down) thoughts. I haven't had enough coffee for religious discussions.

Oh and Lav - Steal my kit-kat and I'll come up there, buy pizza off your brother and throw them at you.
Well, there's probably many people who grew up in a religion and just follow the crowd, so to speak, without really believing it.

Others, however, claims various forms of religious experiences for their faith. This alone doesn't makes whatever they believe in true, but it help to explains why people believe. After all, no one is going around thinking "there's absolutely no evidence for this but what the heck, I'll believe it anyway.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:01 PM   #46
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
Well, there's probably many people who grew up in a religion and just follow the crowd, so to speak, without really believing it.
This is possibly the 2nd biggest gripe I have with organised religion. If someone believes exactly what the rest of a group believes, I mean, down to a tee, it's because they've been told it - probably from a very young age, they've believed it, and they're going along with it. Whereas if someone doesn't conform to a group and just believes what they, personally, believe, then it's more likely what they have felt, experienced and come to by their own accord. I'm not saying that indoctrinated beliefs are any less valid than self-gained ones, but, I think that they, deep down, are less deep and personal.

And as far as outlawing goes, Catholicism was outlawed in England for about 100 years, if you remember

Also, Chewbacca, like Lav said, though he could've put it a bit nicer, if you don't like the thread, simply leave it to itself. It's not going to hunt you down
Old 09-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #47
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Re: Remember that Dutch comic about Mohamad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumanoir View Post
Also, Chewbacca, like Lav said, though he could've put it a bit nicer, if you don't like the thread, simply leave it to itself. It's not going to hunt you down
He probably would have a easier time staying if you guys would stop calling out to him.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:14 PM   #48
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvian View Post
He probably would have a easier time staying if you guys would stop calling out to him.
Calling out? What does this mean? Sorry, think there's a language difference here.

If it means what I think it means, then I'm not trying to be brash or anything, my simple point was when you come in to a thread and state that you don't think it should be allowed, then it's obviously not your cup of tea. But no-ones forcing him in to it. I'm sorry if I came off rude. I'd love to hear Chewy's thoughts on the matter but he said he didn't want to share so I'm not pushing him on it.

Once again, apologies and I didn't mean to be rude.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:27 PM   #49
Lavindathar
Harper

You didn't come off rude at all.

Luvian, what does "calling" out mean? No-one has done anything to Chewbacca, except give him the friendly advice that if he doesnt want to be part of this topic, which he has stated it seems, then he should leave. The rest of us shouldn't have to have a topic closed, because he doesnt want to be in it.

Think you have your wires crossed Luvian.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #50
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonshadow View Post
Plus I'm cautios of religion after several of the times I have been attacked (mainly mental and verbal attacks) were from very religious people because I don't beleive in a god. That's not to say I hate religion - I do work for the salvation army, which I believe is a Christian charity, no? But I do agree with Lav that religion has caused a lot of problems, and while people have differing opinions on it, it will continue to do so.
Anyway, just my (poorly written down) thoughts. I haven't had enough coffee for religious discussions.
Almost the same here in my situation, people have been giving me the strange stare when I told them I don't believe in a god. Though thanks to my family's status and position in the society, nobody dared to verbally abuse me in front of my face, perhaps they do behind my back though I wouldn't know.

Is it really a big deal to believe/not to believe in a god?

I mean come on, if I was borned 2000 years ago and started preaching to everybody that an angel appeared in front of me and want me to save humanity by preaching the god's divine messages. 2000 years later, half of the world's population would believe in Kakeroism.
Closed Thread