Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2002, 10:03 AM   #1
suttle
Dungeon Master

hello i might be getting iwd 2 when it comes out in the uk in 3 days or later and i am wondering what makes iwd 2 better than iwd 1 which i have please could people answer my qustion if possible
suttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 10:16 AM   #2
Kygon-Jo
Dungeon Master

I did not play IWD but have played all of the Baldurs Gate series. In IWD II I am enjoying the feat and skill system and the great number of options I have for character classes. I miss the specialized classes such as Archer for Rangers but the feat system lets you develop a strong archer or fighter or mage depending on your preference. I am anxious to finish (wife is going to kill me) becasue I want to play IWD II again in Heart of Fury mode.

If you enjoy Balck Isle infinity engines and RGP games you will not be disappointed with IWD II.
Kygon-Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 03:34 PM   #3
eL_PuSHeR
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Even if here there is no such big plot, BG2 style, and there are lots of hack and slash action, instead it's pretty fun, fun and fun. Once you get the grip on the 3rd edition ruleset, it rocks...
eL_PuSHeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 04:18 PM   #4
White Lady of Rohan
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm completely new to this forum; this is actually my first post ever, but I can definitely say that I'm absolutely excited about the game and I like it much more than IWD I... Haven't finished it yet, as I always like to take my time and explore everything in the game, but I can assure you you won't be disappointed!
Old 10-15-2002, 06:20 PM   #5
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Welcome White Lady! Do pop by the General Conversation forum that we might give you a proper welcome! (naturally one deserving of a lady of Rohan, or a demigod of Faerun, or a drow priestess or something of that nature..)

Suttle, I believe you'll get a lot out of IWD2 if you've played, completed and loved IWD. There are lots of cameo appearances and story links that you'll really only get when you play the game, which are very nice indeed. Not entirely mindblowing, but its cool in a way that IWD was very much a prequel to the greater conflict in IWD2. You wont appreciate many of the storytelling nuances and gameplay tricks that can still be worked with the Infinity Engine until you look back, because you'll often find yourself hooked without being able to pinpoint a specific reason..
Have fun with it, its definately worth the buy. 3E rules are a little hard to get by, but a little experimentation and you'll be alright.

EDIT:Oh and White Lady, arent you breaking the law by playing IWD in Greece?

[ 10-15-2002, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: Lifetime ]
Old 10-15-2002, 08:47 PM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the Forums!

In comparison to the origional IWD...this is what I see.

-> The story is more dramatic and urgent. It gives a more in-depth feel to me.
-> The fighting is tremendous! In case you've missed the, many people are working hard to get through the average battle. Many monsters that have incredible team battle strategies, and are hard to conquer without some effort and strategy of your own.
-> In size, this game is as large as IWD plus both official add-ons together.
-> If you're into music scoers...this one is magically beautiful.
-> A nice host of all kinds of little evil villians, though not every monster has to be fought. Some are talked to.
-> Alot of good humor is included.

[ 10-15-2002, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 01:14 AM   #7
Guinness
The Magister

Yep. IWD rocks.... but not in the same way as say BG2 which was more RPG-ish. IWD is more sort of RTS/RPG.

3rd Ed rules certainly takes getting used to. I miss my elf Kensai with dual longswords!

Yes in order not to make IWD2 just another hack and slash (like a certain popular dungeon hack) the battles are certainly harder. Monsters have been practicing their "Red Alert" tank rush strategy (Esp those darn hook horrors!).

Whilst the game is linear, there are many different possible outcomes to the same problems. Reactions to different races and class will affect most the NPC interactions althought he quests are still the same.

Disppointment is when u meet dragons which are wimpy compared to those in BG2. Maybe i just haven't met the real scary ones yet.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:23 AM   #8
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

Hehehehe... Gaurdians gonna "Bust you up!" [img]smile.gif[/img] Big Scary Firkraag style dragon. Very angry/powerful GET IMPROVED INVISIBILITY!