Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2003, 02:20 PM   #1
IronDragon
Elminster

Exactly what class is Gorion?

He has access to healing spells as well as mage spells.

I would think he was a dual classes Cleric/Mage except for the fact he is able to use a dagger.

Guesses anyone?
Old 06-02-2003, 02:53 PM   #2
InsaneBane
Baaz Draconian

did we see him use that dagger? Daggers are surely NOT for clerics (aaargh blood - I'm going to faint ).

The rules (AD&D P&P rules) for dual classing says that if you have dual classed from ex. a mage to a cleric, and have not leveled to the level of the old class + 1 yet, AND you are using some of the abilities from your old class (you actually can do that in P&P), you will NOT receive any experience for that encounter. A desperate move, but Gorion was surely desperate when he used mage spells and his dagger.

This is a little far out, I think. Can someone else give a better (more simple) explanation?

[img]graemlins/greenbounce.gif[/img]
Insane
Old 06-02-2003, 02:55 PM   #3
Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV
Zhentarim Guard

I always assumed that he was a Monk of some ilk, but then again, I do not know the capabilities/restrictions of Monks.

If he's simply a wizard, then you would have to also give him the title of 'scholar', since he essentially ran Candlekeep for most his life.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:13 PM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

This is important: When Gorion heals you at your departure from Candlekeep, does the text box say--
Gorion- Cure Light Wounds: CHARNAME, or
Gorion- Casts Cure Light Wounds: CHARNAME?

If it's the former, he simply has the spell as an innate ability. If it's the latter, then he does indeed have a Priest scroll. Either way, it's just a small piece of hacking on BioWare's part: Either he's a Mage that they gave a CLW ability just for the purpose of ensuring that the PC can't get killed by that Flame Arrow, or he's a Cleric/Mage that they hacked to have a Dagger in his hand.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:37 PM   #5
Legolas
Jack Burton

It should be noted that the player character, too, can obtain an innate CLW ability (two of them, even) without ever having to advance beyond first level. I'm not going to give away any BG2 or ToB spoilers, but it is there that you would find the reason for any such innate abilities found on the old sage.
I wouldn't find it the least bit odd if only because of his friend E.. Something about the company they keep.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 07:24 PM   #6
Dar'tanian
Red Wizard of Thay

I believe Gorion is a sage. But he is a Harpe as well. I dont know the difference between a sage and a mage but maybe someone else does cause i can almst gaurentee that he is a sage.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:41 PM   #7
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Dar'tanian:
I believe Gorion is a sage. But he is a Harpe as well. I dont know the difference between a sage and a mage but maybe someone else does cause i can almst gaurentee that he is a sage.
In 1st edition rules, a sage can cast a limited number of spells, and as far as I remember, they can cast either mage or cleric spells memorized like mage spells. I don't know about 2nd edition, though.

It sounds like they just they just "fudged" it to further the plot; how many people have seen a flame arrow do that little damage?
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 07:33 AM   #8
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerull:
how many people have seen a flame arrow do that little damage?
I have: in the beginning of bg1

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 09:19 PM   #9
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Raistlin Majere:
quote:
Originally posted by Nerull:
how many people have seen a flame arrow do that little damage?
I have: in the beginning of bg1 [/QUOTE]Exactly! In other words, they let him cast a curing spell and mage spells to advance the plot, and they let you take so little damage to advance the plot. I could spoil a SoA scene that does something similar, but I won't. In other words, don't try to read between the lines, as they are just making a good story out of those scenes.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 06:55 AM   #10
Sythe
Ra

I am guessing

15th Level Mage

STR:He an ol man)
DEX:8
CON:7
INT:18
WIS:18
CHR:15

At the time he was killed he must have only memorized the spells Magic Missile and I think Melfs Acid Arrow. Wouldn't you need spell componets to cast certain spells like Acid Arrow. I know not in the BG1 game but you know in actual d and d just curious.