Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2001, 02:54 PM   #1
Tancred
White Dragon

Hmmmmm. Gorion evidently mixed in some strange company.

I daresay he was a pretty lonely chap. Mage, Harper, wandering adventurer... probably seen a lot of friends die along the course of his hard life. His greatest duty was, in the end, his wardship of one of the Children of Bhaal, which, as he explains in a letter you find in BG1, was a duty he gladly accepted. Your mother was a friend and a lover to him in the past, and he felt it a solemn oath to guard you and raise you as his own.

Now, in ToB, the truth comes to light.

Your mother was Alianna, a priestess of Bhaal! WHAT?!? Oh yes... Gorion's love was a follower and devotee of the mighty and evil God of Murder! This opens up a whole new can of worns on Gorion's actions, as he attacks the temple of Bhaal, and slays your mother in what we assume is a sorcerous duel. The question must be asked - what were the circumstances of this relationship, and how on earth did Gorion get mixed up with these people? Or was Alianna's conversion to the priesthood of the God of Murder, and her eventual seduction by him, the reason she and he broke up? Was Gorion's choice of you as his ward therefore rather biased? Was his wardship of you more a loyalty to his own pain rather than a labour of love?

Alas, the only man who can answer these questions... is dead. And we'll never know.

Or... have I just stumbled on a somewhat inconsequential continuity error in the plot?

Tancred

I hope not. Things seem so much more INTERESTING when you think this one through.
Tancred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 03:02 PM   #2
Istaron
Banned User

Probally an error. Doesn't he says he grabed the only child he could ´save? And it could as well have been Sarevok? It was just plain luck you was the one he got.

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen
Istaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 03:05 PM   #3
Tancred
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Istaron:
Probally an error. Doesn't he says he grabed the only child he could ´save? And it could as well have been Sarevok? It was just plain luck you was the one he got.

Or is he just SAYING that? Or... even odder... could you and Sarevok have been twins, or at the least both Alianna's children? Perhaps THAT's what the Solar means when she mentions how your two destinies could well have been reversed.
Old 08-10-2001, 03:07 PM   #4
Redblueflare
Galvatron

I think Gorion purposely made up that story about your mother. He didn't want to tell you who she was. Would you want your mother to be a high priestess of Bhaal? Probably not...

------------------
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just don't have to listen.
Redblueflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 03:12 PM   #5
Tancred
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Redblueflare:
I think Gorion purposely made up that story about your mother. He didn't want to tell you who she was. Would you want your mother to be a high priestess of Bhaal? Probably not...

Of course, from another point of view, Solar could have made up the 'priestess of Bhaal' story to aid in your 'education'. But if you assume that the events and clues in BG1 are right, and the revelations in BG3 are right, things do seem a lot more complex. After all, Gorion's love for your mother is more than a story - it's his justification for being your tutor and guardian.

Old 08-11-2001, 03:19 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I think that Gorion lied to you back in BG1, so as not to influence you following the evil path. It's the only explanation that makes sense.

Or is this just another case of fitting the truth to suit reality?

------------------
Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 09:12 AM   #7
homsuplee
Dungeon Master

Quote:
"If the facts don't fix your hypothesis, change the facts."
I believe Einstein put it in those words.

At any rate, I believe that perhaps they were never really lovers, or were at some point, and then Bhaal stepped in, and you know Bhaal can floss and flash more than any Harper, and since Alianna was a bum- and was just greedy, she chose Bhaal, and left behind Gorion. Gorion got mad, loaded the mac-10 and went in guns blazing. He shot up the club and made everyone do the Puff Dance, and then kidnapped the kid for spite. He raised the kid to make sure, he didn't take after mom. What could piss her off more ?

Appropriately Complex

------------------
Death comes for you, FEEL IT'S ICY TOUCH
homsuplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 09:24 AM   #8
Bruce The Aussie
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by homsuplee:
I believe Einstein put it in those words.

At any rate, I believe that perhaps they were never really lovers, or were at some point, and then Bhaal stepped in, and you know Bhaal can floss and flash more than any Harper, and since Alianna was a bum- and was just greedy, she chose Bhaal, and left behind Gorion. Gorion got mad, loaded the mac-10 and went in guns blazing. He shot up the club and made everyone do the Puff Dance, and then kidnapped the kid for spite. He raised the kid to make sure, he didn't take after mom. What could piss her off more ?

Appropriately Complex

The scariest part is this story makes the most sence!

------------------
Bruce The Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 03:53 PM   #9
Tancred
White Dragon

I agree. Don Goriono and the Harper Mafia take out Boss Murder and his little strip-joint of priestesses, adopting the 'kid' to be his protoge.