Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 08-19-2003, 06:02 PM   #1
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

I've decided to play through the game with this class (starting in BGI with a party, and soloing through BGII). However, I can't decide on two things:

1. Dual or Multi? I'd like reasons for both. Also, does one get more spells than the other (my primary concern)? If so, which one?

2. Which weapon should I take? I love daggers, but I think that the SotM will help me more. Daggers, however, have more style...especially Long tooth and the DotS. I could also use the Katana (I don't like the Celery Fury, but for roleplaying I'd use it).

3. Dual wield or single hand? Dual weilding would be nice, especially with my precious daggers [img]smile.gif[/img] , but single hand looks better for some reason (with certain weapons), and the critical bonus is always nice.

Stats would probably be 17/18/17/18/10/18: 98, if I counted properly. Not that hard to get.

--Sorry for troubling all of you

[ 08-19-2003, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Pyrenk ]
Old 08-19-2003, 06:39 PM   #2
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

1. Dual... Multi is incredibly sucky IMHO cause you won't get lvl 9 spellslots until you attained 6 million XP or so...

2. Hard one, Staff of the Magi would be as much cheese as Celestial Fury though. Foor coolness, I advice Angurvadal(ToB) and SsoM(ToB) in the long run(or Flame Tongue/Adjatha and Kundane in SoA), so Long Sword and Short Sword.

3. I hardly ever get stats beyond 90

[ 08-19-2003, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: JrKASperov ]
Old 08-19-2003, 06:50 PM   #3
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

1. Depends, if you want more spell slots, dual from a fighter to mage, but if you want HLA's quicker too you can have them as Multi-class.

2. If you're going for style, hmmm... I guess you can go for the daggers, usually they're not my preference. But other than that, I would go for Staff of the Magi for it's protection properties.

3. Dual wield, allows you to experiment more with attacks, more damage, plus critical hits still apply.
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 07:20 PM   #4
Faceman
Hathor

1. Dual definitely. If you dual a fighter immediately at the start you can
a. regain status just before or shortly after the escape from Irenicus dungeon.
b. get Grand Mastery in the weapon of your choice
Multi-class f/m or f/m/t is mostly used for versatility in solo games. He lacks in spellslots and saves therefore gets better Thac0 etc.
Also mulitclasses greatly excel in ToB before that they sometimes seem like a waste compared to dual.

2. Staff of Rynn (or Clerics Staff for a start) looks sooo cool and is a very nice weapon if combined with grandmastery in quarterstaffs. StotM is extremely powerful and is THE choice if you are just going for "best item" but can be a nuisance some time (e.g. when you can't be healed before taking it of due to invisibility). Daggers and Swords are no weapons I like for a mage but if you choose them I'd advise you to take something very magical and special (like Adjatha the Drinker or CF) instead of some not visibly enchanted item (Blade of the Roses, plain +1(+2,+3,+4) swords, short sword of backstabbing)

3. Two-handed obviously if you use staffs. In any other case I'd suggest dual for small (dagger, short sword) and single for large (longsword, katana) weapons just for the credibility.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:50 PM   #5
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks for your replies. I'm going to use Hindo's Doom instead of the CF, as I find it too powerful [img]smile.gif[/img]

Ok, I am dualling at level 13. I want to be able to fight [img]smile.gif[/img] I am most likely taking Single and Katana for Hindo's Doom (such a nice weapon), but I'm considering your suggestions. I want to make a sort of mystic Samurai, however...too bad Katanas can't be used as Two-Handed weapons. More damage, speed, and style

[ 08-19-2003, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: Pyrenk ]
Old 08-19-2003, 08:00 PM   #6
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

There's always the Falchion Scimitar, closest thing you'll get to a two-handed katana, well a two-handed weapon for a thief to use I guess.

[ 08-19-2003, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Gangrell ]
Old 08-19-2003, 08:11 PM   #7
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

Falchion? Is that part of a mod? If so, where can it be obtained?
Old 08-19-2003, 08:14 PM   #8
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

If I'm saying it right, the Falchion Scimitar is a two-handed scimitar in the Forgotten Realms, don't think it's in Greyhawk. No, it's not part of a mod, just referring to it, but you could try to make it if you want.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:16 PM   #9
perlninja
Dungeon Master

Dualing at 13 seems a bit excessive. It'll be a while before you can regain your Fighter proficiences at that rate. If you dual at level...10 I think?...then you will have spent 7 proficiency points...more than enough...think Grand Mastery on a weapon and a couple in a fighting style...and you will regain those stats fairly quickly. Plus you'll still have significant HP if you dual at level 10. But if you insist on dualing so late, (and I guess even if you don't), don't forget the elven chain mail in Trademeet, it has nice defense and mages can wear it.
perlninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 08:26 PM   #10
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Actually, 13 is the standard level to dual class, it just depends on how many characters you have in your party.