Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-19-2000, 01:17 AM   #31
Mandrake
Welcomed New User

Yeah yeah. Ok, so I cant shut up on this topic. So sue me.
Right. U4 has to be mentioned. It was a ground breaker. The whole Virtue system forced you to roleplay, made you be the Avatar. All RPG's before let you wander and do what you wanted without consequence!
Old 11-19-2000, 01:31 AM   #32
Mandrake
Welcomed New User

The aforemention Daggerfall. I didnt mention this among my favourites for one reason. The plot never drew me in as much as those I listed, I never truly felt for the plot. Actually I never solved the plot though I had the game on my HD for 18 months and played it almost everyday. What Daggerfall lacked it made up for in flexibility. I started this game as a really nice guy, a knight. I joined the knights of daggerfall and rose to a high rank, gained a house, that kind of thing. One day, deep in a dungeon, I was killed by a vampire. I woke up in a darkened tomb thiking "What the hell?". I wandered out and a woman on the street was like "You? You are dead. I saw you funeral." After a while my vampire clan got in contact with me and rather than the derring do missions that the knights gave me I started getting darker type missions. I rose high as a vampire and after a while recieved a letter from this guy telling me I would have to change my ways or he would come kill me. He gave me insturctions for a quest to get better. After much adeventuring I completed it. That was my first charachter. Played about 20 after varying through all classes. And the game was never the same twice. It didnt make my top list because of the lack of plot cohesion, but it is still and landmark!
Old 11-19-2000, 01:37 AM   #33
Mandrake
Welcomed New User

Ultima underworld 1 and 2. If you havent played these games you are missing out. Wolfenstien 3d can claim first place as the first 3d game but compared to Underworld it is nothing. This game had sloping floors and walls and a realistic physics model. (Drop a round object on a slope and it will roll downwards). The excellent plots and attention to detail made thes game great. Still not in my top list but ground breakers none the less.
Old 11-19-2000, 01:43 AM   #34
Mandrake
Welcomed New User

All the SSI gold box AD&D games. Any RPG player from wayback has played them. Not ground breaking but certainly an instituition. Best sellers for years even though the game engine changed little. Ill mention Eye of the beholder here even though it is a differeant style of game. SSI use the same enginge for EOB again and again just like they did with the gold box games. Definatly not groundbreakers, but certainly consistant and they sold so many copies they cant go without mention. SSI later released 2 games in TSR's Darksun world. The Shattered Lands and Wake of the Ravger. They got a bad rap at the time due to bugs but both are worth seeking out!
Old 11-19-2000, 01:48 AM   #35
Mandrake
Welcomed New User

Ok! Ill shut up now but I have to ask. Is it just me or is ultima 9 the bigest insult to RPG players ever?
Old 11-19-2000, 08:03 AM   #36
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Yes Mandrake! I agree wholeheartedly! Ultima IX was the first Ultima game I've ever tried and it was Horrible (in my humble opinion anyway). Awkward player interface, grueling 'real time' interaction - I gave it a good try, thinking perhaps that I was just spoiled by the BG games, and Diablo 2. I finally gave up. It wasn't worth the effort. The only good thing was that I bought it from a cut-out bin (cheap)!

I'm glad it wasn't just me!
Old 11-19-2000, 08:46 AM   #37
gungk

, anyone out there can point me in the direction of Daggerfall.exe,
as i too got lost in this game many years ago, luckily i seem to have lost it
along the way, still ,, thats gotta be a bit better than being lost in the actual
game...??still, id appreciate it if anyone knows where i can find daggerfall.exe,
i could do with atrip down memory lane, what was that rpg with white tigers, i think theres
been a sequel too, cant remember the name though..

Old 11-19-2000, 09:42 AM   #38
Tara

Gungk- Daggerfall has got to be at least 4 years old now, so I doubt you will find a new copy. Try looking on auction sites- or used computer shops, or search through all the bargain clearout bins. If you have a machine good enough to run BG2 well I'm afraid you will be a bit dissapointed with the nastalgia. It runs too fast and seems not nearly as convincing on the new machines, I've tried it. It played better on an old pentium 1 class than my new zippy PIII.

Old 11-19-2000, 09:48 AM   #39
Tara

Oh for got your question about sequel. They have made games since- like Battlespire- but not an actual sequel to Daggerfall .. yet. It has been in development all this time- and is due to be released end of next year. When Morrowind is released I bet I'll see each and every one of you on the message board for that. It should be the best RPG ever from the press releases I've read on their site, and screenshots I've seen.

Old 11-19-2000, 10:13 AM   #40
gungk

hi tara,

i have downloaded a file, that says it can slow down your pc speed, so that Daggerfall will once more play as it should.if you want, email me and ill send file in reply.
8*)