Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 01-20-2003, 11:04 PM   #1
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Here is a test to your internet lore. How many of you know the origin of the Machine of Lum the Mad?

Post what you think here, and I'll tell you if it's that or not.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:34 AM   #2
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

The first time I ever saw a refrence to it was in the first edition PnP dungeon masters guide under the artifacs heading. Yes I am old.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:07 PM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Well.. that's not the origin of it.

Some years ago, before BGII came out, there was a very popular Gaming website with a very "special" webmaster. The website was called The ranting of Lum the Mad, and you guessed it, his name was Lum the Mad.

That was a very popular gaming news website, and he wasn't effraid to piss off game devs by saying the truth. Lots of Devs and fans alike visited the website and the forum, including the BGII devs. But he quited working on his website when Mythic Entertainment, the maker of DAOC, hired him as a PR. But when BGII was made, he still had his website.

This whole quest is an easter egg for him.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:20 PM   #4
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Now that is respect!! Who else can say that they have a whole section of a game devoted to them?
Old 01-21-2003, 12:20 PM   #5
Telchar of Nogrod
Drow Warrior

I also saw it for the first time in my first edition DM's Guide. It doesn't say much about it's history. Gary Gygax created it himself or he apropiated it. He was rather notirious for using other people's material (Moorckock's Melnibone, Lieber's Newon and Cuthulu mythos). I have one of the early first edition Deities and Demigods with the said material. He was later sued and had to remove the material. There are other questionable cases. I am so greatfull for Gygax and his two college buddies (who he railroaded), for creating AD+D. I am still playing in two games after 25 years, but facts are facts. Since The Machine Of Lum The Mad has been in AD+D books all these years, I would have to say the creator was Gary Gygax.
\"Here once was light, that the Valar begrudged to Middle-earth, but now dark levels all. Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist haunting, dripping vain tears in the thankless sea?\"<br />Feanor at Tirion upon Tuna, Of the Flight of the Noldor, The Silmarillion
Telchar of Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 01:16 PM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I don't know where Lum the Mad got his name from. Probably from that old rulebook.

But I know for a fact that they made it for Lum the Mad (the webmaster). They teased him on his website.

It's sad that he quited his website, that was the best.
Old 01-21-2003, 04:02 PM   #7
Grojlach
Zartan

Interesting bit of trivia, though... Was unfamiliar with both explanations. [img]smile.gif[/img]
But did they just use this guy's name or were there more Easter Eggs referring to him, like some of the machine's effects or the way the notes were written?
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 04:55 PM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Interesting, although now I'm wondering about that item in Shadowkeeper where the book is said to belong to Lium the Mad.....
Old 01-21-2003, 06:12 PM   #9
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

I thought the Machine of Lum the Mad dated back before AD&D.

It was in the AD&D Book of Artifacts.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:51 PM   #10
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

The way the notes are written are certainly to mock him.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote