Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-26-2001, 10:13 PM   #1
Player Offender
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok well this will be my seocnd swashbuckler, and once i get like 220 pickpocket, and start with the 125 detect trap and pick locks, then i dont know what to put my points in.

Since Swashbucklers dont have backtsab multiplier, i dont think stealthy skills like hide in shadows and movesilently are that good.
So then theres detect illusions. But thats crap. Psch. I mean. Detect illusion? Psch. Crap. Psch.

So now im thinking what good is place traps? if i get good at that, are they good evnetually? and if they are, how do i use them effectively? like do i put it in a doorway, then lure a monster through the doorway?

Share your knowledge you ripe pickles of goodliness.
Old 09-27-2001, 03:53 AM   #2
ScottG
Drow Warrior

This is a great kit to dual to a mage, better than a Kensai overall (just ask Saemon).

I'd put lock picking high on my list along with detect trap (don't want to be wasting spells on either of these tasks).

As you go higher in level consider:

Hide in the shadows is still worthwhile (75 points worth) for getting that 1st hit (or stealing the wepons off that person 1st) or for scouting ahead. Figure 50 points for move silently.

I'd only consider trap point expenditure for TOB and high Thief level special abilities (or if you go the bounty hunter route).

Detect illusion helps to detect traps similar to the way move silently helps hide in the shadows so points should be spent here w/ detect traps, but to a much lesser degree.

Old 09-27-2001, 04:22 AM   #3
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

if you are making a solo swashbulker dual to other class, then detect illusion and hide in shadow is a must

if you are playing with a party, then those skills come second

bump all in open locks, detect traps, and set traps,those are really what you need

swasbulker dual fighter rocks
Old 09-27-2001, 04:56 AM   #4
Rikard

Hide in shadow is always usefull
as you can see where your enemies are
And have a better strategy when attacking

------------------
Behold he who stands before you

Almighty (shared) Leader of the OHF
Proud member of the Ancients Club
The one True Necromancer/Blade of the Laughing Hyena's
Last of the Ancient race known as the Red Fluffies
Summoner of Bunnies

"You can Run, You can Hide,
But you can never do both"

I'm Watching you...

Passifist too

Old 09-28-2001, 05:54 PM   #5
Bhaalthazar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Player Offender:
Ok well this will be my seocnd swashbuckler, and once i get like 220 pickpocket, and start with the 125 detect trap and pick locks, then i dont know what to put my points in.

Since Swashbucklers dont have backtsab multiplier, i dont think stealthy skills like hide in shadows and movesilently are that good.
So then theres detect illusions. But thats crap. Psch. I mean. Detect illusion? Psch. Crap. Psch.

So now im thinking what good is place traps? if i get good at that, are they good evnetually? and if they are, how do i use them effectively? like do i put it in a doorway, then lure a monster through the doorway?

Share your knowledge you ripe pickles of goodliness.

Traps ROCK!

There's nothing more satisfying than luring a big, dumb dragon near a pile of traps (they go off if something goes near them), unless it's setting a bunch of traps where you know a particluar nasty-nasty is going to materialize and watching it die without scratching you.

At higher levels (if you get ToB) your thief will have access to Fireball traps, Timestop traps and mega-damage Spike traps. All traps rock, though: they do area damage but only to hostile entities, they hit everything no matter how magical it may be, and they are safe for your party to walk over, so they're a great way to guard against wandering monsters while you sleep.

Traps are so amazingly awesome that I won't play Bounty Hunters any more---they're too easy!

---Bhaalthazar
Old 09-28-2001, 06:44 PM   #6
deathknight
Drow Warrior

Yeah traps are great for the tough fights. They are especially nasty for fights on monsters like dragons that are not hostile when you first see them or a monster that will appear in a certain spot once you do something. Its insane the carnage you can do with some traps setup in advance. If you are fighting 1 target like a lich then you can often kill it before its sequencers like stoneskin etc even fire (well if that traps don't your first round of attacks before the sequencers fire should do the trick
I believ I have read several interviews with bioware people who seem to think they are one of the strongest things they put in thegame
Old 09-28-2001, 10:52 PM   #7
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

yoshi's traps killed all the liches in the kangaxx quest. if you're dualling to mage forget stealth. locks, find traps, and set traps. then pickpockets.