Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2006, 05:19 PM   #1
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Woot!

This could mean cheaper Alienware systems for all!

Quote:
ROUND ROCK, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 22, 2006--Dell (NASDAQELL - News) announced today it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Alienware to further satisfy the growing number of consumers and businesses seeking the highest-performance PC products, including those used for gaming and multimedia digital content management. Terms of the planned purchase will not be disclosed.

Dell said Alienware will operate as a wholly owned subsidiary following completion of the transaction and will maintain its own product development, product marketing, sales, technical support and other operations as well as brand. The management and founders of Alienware will continue to operate the company as a standalone unit of Dell.

"Alienware's products are an excellent complement to Dell's own line of high-performance computers designed for gaming, enthusiast and media content customers. In addition to offering high-quality, high-performance products, Alienware has tremendous brand appeal with consumers and creative business professionals," said Michael Dell, chairman.

"Alienware has a legacy of success designing the highest-performance PCs using bleeding-edge technologies and innovative industrial design," said Nelson Gonzalez, CEO of Alienware. "We believe that Alienware will realize significant advantages from Dell's world-class supply chain and operational efficiencies. They will allow us to continue to satisfy our core customers with the most innovative and highest-performing PCs, and ultimately extend the reach and appeal of the Alienware brand."

About Dell

Dell Inc. (NASDAQELL - News) listens to customers and delivers innovative technology and services they trust and value. Uniquely enabled by its direct business model, Dell sells more systems globally than any computer company, placing it No. 28 on the Fortune 500. Company revenue for the last four quarters was $56 billion. For more information, visit www.dell.com. To get Dell news direct, visit www.dell.com/RSS.

About Alienware

Alienware offers unique and award-winning technology products that incorporate state-of-the-art components, innovative engineering and design, and unprecedented customer service. Alienware has been recognized by INC 500 as one of the fastest growing private companies in the US, won the Shoppers Choice Award as the Best Performance Desktop by Computer Shopper's reader survey and also received a PC Magazine's Reader's Choice Award in its 18th Annual Reader Survey. Alienware systems are available direct within the United States, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand. For more information, please visit www.Alienware.com/business or call 1-800-ALIENWARE (254-3692).
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:13 PM   #2
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I don't think it's going to make any difference.
From the article:

Dell said Alienware will operate as a wholly owned subsidiary following completion of the transaction and will maintain its own product development, product marketing, sales, technical support and other operations as well as brand. The management and founders of Alienware will continue to operate the company as a standalone unit of Dell.

It may not change the prices, I suppose it could, with more consistent suppliers, maybe, but I think Dell is looking more to their own bottom line, than to saving the consumer any money. It remains to be seen however.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:50 PM   #3
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

True, but if Alienware start manufacturing to Dell standards (what makes them so succesfull) then maybe there will be some changes, though probably not for a while.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

It would sure be nice though. This rig started out a Dell, and while the mother board and processor still are, I've updated everything else, except the power supply. All in all, it isn't a bad rig, if a little dated. Sure like to think that the Alienware components would mount right in the next one though...
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:59 PM   #5
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Ugh.. Dell is crap. All proproetary. Hope they don't ruin Alienware too.

Dell used to be good... Now they are like Packard Bell-- LOL, REMEMBER THOSE?! god...

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:11 PM   #6
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

Bad company, trying to buy a good reputation.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:09 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I still like Dell, alot. Their systems are built nice but they know jack about gaming systems really and I hope Alienware may help with this overall.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:18 AM   #8
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
Dell used to be good... Now they are like Packard Bell-- LOL, REMEMBER THOSE?! god...
Dell will never be like Packard bell, I don't think it's possible to become as crap as they are....
Old 03-31-2006, 05:20 PM   #9
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hmm this could be good but it could be bad to hard to tell yet.

[ 03-31-2006, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 05:45 PM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Dell's trying to get more of a presence in the profitable gaming PC segment. This is pressure pretty much brought about by declining profit margins in their core business.

I thought the problem with Dell was not so much the quality of their products, but their customer service was abysmal.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote