Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2005, 05:05 AM   #11
philip
Galvatron

Well it's not a "work" work laptop. I bought it to do work for my study on it so I'm the IT department [img]smile.gif[/img]

There was this trick the sellers used to check how much ram was used for video. Properties on my computer and then check how much ram was supported. What was missing was used for the video card. I have 512 MB and this reports 496 MB. So I use 16 MB for the video card.

The bios is really limited. It has 2 screens and I don't need a password to enter (yet). It only lists total memory as 512 MB. Further some battery, boot and display stuff. Second screen is device config but only allows changes to IRQs and enabling/disabling some extra things.

I'm now going to try the product recovery dvd.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 06:00 AM   #12
philip
Galvatron

Well no options in there. I also tried the official bios update from toshiba which says I don't need to update.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:31 AM   #13
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

A little research has revealed a very new and interesting technology. It appears this chip set has it's own hub, and has a 256K direct link to main memory. http://www.intel.com/products/i/chip...iagram_760.jpg

Also,it appears that it uses only as needed memory, therby using 16Mb for display operations, and upto 64Mb for 3d. Damn, I'm falling behind.
http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/eg2/index.htm

Sounds like you have a nice rig there.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 12:21 PM   #14
philip
Galvatron

Thanks for finding that! I wouldn't have found that cause I was searching for the wrong thing (how to change it as the retailers told me)

Thanks again [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2005, 01:51 PM   #15
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

It's still a relatively primitive solution that's only used on laptops...and for good reason. Independent memory is, and will remain, the better way of doing things. Another reason why the laptop/desktop gap is hard to close.

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote