Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-16-2001, 05:06 PM   #21
Unknown Origin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Dramnek_Ulk:
seems to me that tsr are dropping everything now. Mystara,Spelljammer Dark sun and no 3rd edtion dragonlance now, anything that doesnt fit in with forgotten realms. As much as i like the FR, I dont want to be limited to just that.

Well... FR is pretty big, and it is only as limited as one allows it to be.

Personally I like FR a lot, and from a game designers perspective I would think having ton's of well done source material makes things pretty nice. I thought the Dragonlance stuff back in the Gold Box days fell way short and kind of sucked. I would rather that they got the class and kit details right and went to a completely different part of the Realms next time around. I thought Spelljammer, Dark Sun, etc kind of sucked. There just was not as much information, and development for those world settings as FR.

You could make a completely different game with the IE in the Realms and it could be made to have a completely different feel and story than previous games. I have to agree, also, that the way that they did the Mages in DL kind of sucked. I thought the Red/Grey/Black bit was too constraining. Plus, from a purity standpoint, Dragonlance is not really "D&D" in my book. It is more of a spinoff or affectation within a gaming system that it does not belong in. Yeah the original stories were good, but I will take Forgotten Realms over Dragonlance any day. In fact if an IE game using Dragonlance came out (which it won't) I would more than likely not buy it. Probably because when they tried it in the Gold Box it jaded me against it.

[This message has been edited by Unknown Origin (edited 07-16-2001).]
Old 07-17-2001, 06:12 AM   #22
Gallant
Elite Waterdeep Guard

A Dragonlance game, from the early books would be excellent and make a refreshing change, how long can the BG sequals go on and stay fresh?
Old 07-18-2001, 09:36 PM   #23
Beowulf2104
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've been away and look what i missed!(that's what I get for going to LaX practice) So natch everyone's entitled to their opinion. As far as mine goes there's not really too much joy in FR. DL well DL is lightyears better than FR, the charachters in general are better. The enemies (There were TONS of NPCs! Draconians being the best widespread threat I'd wanna see. Aside from them there were the regular staples of any D&D evil horde, goblins, orcs, minotaurs, etc. etc.Of course there are the dragons!!!! tons to fight aside from NPCs, then there's undead...)

Now to address the "boring" mage nay-sayers hey, how many whites and different blacks and reds were there in BG? How many more would there be if those were the only colors? ya know I think that's not even a sacrifice for all the cool stuff that would come with it all.

As far as story...there could be any number of side quests stemming from the chronicles. I'd suggest getting Weis and Hickman to input some ideas, make it fun. And what says it has to be with the same story? Is Icewind dale specifically about the book? are there no surprrises? No I'd say do it like BG...some better known NPC's show up at random moments. I'd say it should happen just after the ledends trilogy ends. Still dragons and dragon higlords and all but still a grey area in which to form a video game.