Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-14-2001, 08:51 AM   #1
MagiK

Heard news reports that Australia is now turning away boatloads of Afghan refugee's. Smart move guys, no easier way to get terrorists into the country than to have them show up in a throng of refugee's. I have also heard that in Denmark, when a mass of Afghani's started celebrating in the street over the attack, Denmark officials put an end to the celebrating and are now seriously considering sending the whole lot packing back to their godforsaken hellhjole of a country. Thank you Denmark!

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

Old 09-14-2001, 09:10 AM   #2
Pangur Ban

That boatload of refugees has caused more trouble than you would guess, MagiK.

We have had rapidly increasing numbers of boatpeople arriving in the last few years, most of them coming via Indonesia. The other week a Norwegian cargoship saved 438 refugees from a sinking ferryboat. Our Prime Minister took a stand, and the ship was forbidden to enter Australian waters. This move was approved by over 90% of Australians. Australia is a very generous country when it comes to settling refugees - but most Australians don't like those who "jump the queue" and arrive illegally. Not all of the boatpeople are true refugees, either.

Most overseas media were highly critical of Australia's action.

The full story is long and complex, and hasn't even been fully resolved yet. Check on the net for more details, if you are interested.

I point out though, that this event happened before the WTC attack.

Pangur Ban.

Old 09-14-2001, 09:23 AM   #3
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Pangur Ban:
That boatload of refugees has caused more trouble than you would guess, MagiK.

We have had rapidly increasing numbers of boatpeople arriving in the last few years, most of them coming via Indonesia. The other week a Norwegian cargoship saved 438 refugees from a sinking ferryboat. Our Prime Minister took a stand, and the ship was forbidden to enter Australian waters. This move was approved by over 90% of Australians. Australia is a very generous country when it comes to settling refugees - but most Australians don't like those who "jump the queue" and arrive illegally. Not all of the boatpeople are true refugees, either.

Most overseas media were highly critical of Australia's action.

The full story is long and complex, and hasn't even been fully resolved yet. Check on the net for more details, if you are interested.

I point out though, that this event happened before the WTC attack.

Pangur Ban.

Yes I know Aussieland is really getting the messy end of the stick over that. Here in the states there doesnt seem to be too bad an impression but the stories do seem to make it sound like you are wrong for turning them away, I imagine their tune will change now. In the old days if your country wasn't the way you liked, you fought to change things, you put blood sweat and tears into ousting the dirtbags and fixing things... Now you just run away to the USA or Australia or some other generous nation.
------------------

[This message has been edited by MagiK (edited 09-14-2001).]

Old 09-14-2001, 03:10 PM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
[BIn the old days if your country wasn't the way you liked, you fought to change things, you put blood sweat and tears into ousting the dirtbags and fixing things... Now you just run away to the USA or Australia or some other generous nation. Then you dance in the street when your new home gets bombed.....errr sorry that wasn't called for ....guess Im still a bit peeved.

[/B]
A bit unfair to tar all members of that race with the same brush, wouldn't you say, mate? It's called racial vilification. Or are we reverting to racial stereotypes here? I don't want race hate to start growing on this forum, it is one of the most insidious emotions to eradicate.

------------------
Old 09-14-2001, 03:17 PM   #5
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I agreed with Australia not letting the refugees enter their country, if I had been the prime minister I would have done the same, I think that the thing about the Afghanis celebrating in our streets was wrong, I'm pretty sure it was palestinians, thanks for noticing us by the way, often we get overlooked, not surprising since we are such a small country.

------------------
Worshipper of Tiax.

Wielder of the ancient Lawyer spells.

Member of the HADB clan.

Ally of the Fluffy Queen and the Dreaded Red Fluffy
Old 09-14-2001, 03:19 PM   #6
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

He was just spouting off Memnoch -- I doubt he really meant anything racial. He recognized what he was doing, as you can see from his statement about "sorry that wasn't called for."
Old 09-14-2001, 03:25 PM   #7
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
A bit unfair to tar all members of that race with the same brush, wouldn't you say, mate? It's called racial vilification. Or are we reverting to racial stereotypes here? I don't want race hate to start growing on this forum, it is one of the most insidious emotions to eradicate.

Actually I wasnt labeling a race, but a nationality, but the bulk of the post is a comment on many many nations where the people flee and no attempt is made to fight for their country. But then if they fought for their freedom we would probably give them weapons and money to help them win...then in 20 years they would turn those weapons on us...so I guess its a no win situation.

------------------

Old 09-14-2001, 03:56 PM   #8
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
He was just spouting off Memnoch -- I doubt he really meant anything racial. He recognized what he was doing, as you can see from his statement about "sorry that wasn't called for."

Quite right, I wasn't intending a racial slur. To my understanding, there are a number of races in the middle east, and it is hard to really nail down which group belongs to who. The boarders are kind of fluid with people from the nations moving back and forth with little notice of which country they are in. I was actually just lamenting that it all seems so hopeless to even try to lessen the misery in that part of the world. You really cannot save someone who doesnt want to be saved. And if you try, you are lible to get bit. Im going to edit that post now.

------------------

Old 09-15-2001, 08:03 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

Quite right, I wasn't intending a racial slur. To my understanding, there are a number of races in the middle east, and it is hard to really nail down which group belongs to who. The boarders are kind of fluid with people from the nations moving back and forth with little notice of which country they are in. I was actually just lamenting that it all seems so hopeless to even try to lessen the misery in that part of the world. You really cannot save someone who doesnt want to be saved. And if you try, you are lible to get bit. Im going to edit that post now.

Fair enough.

------------------