Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2001, 01:59 AM   #21
Bullvye
Dungeon Master

WOW!..You guys I'm so impressed. I never thought that there were so many old time AD&D players out there.
I too have some old Dragon magazines in the single digits, and remember the days of pencils and graph paper.( does anyone have the issue with the stats for Half-Ogre player characters?) But what a great bunch of players we would be! Old school! The way Gary Gygax intended the game to be played! I must be old, I never knew they came out with a 3rd edition!...LOL

How's this for a Clan's Name?...The Ancient's!

The thought of playing once again does bring a smile to my face. Most of the friends I had, and played with, have now gone about their own lives. I still keep in touch with two of them from 1982, but we hardly get the time anymore to play like the old days.( Our original characters are still alive and well,......no cheating, just a lot of years and a lot of luck! )

Anyway. Thanks everyone for responding. It brings be back to the old days.(OH, THE FUN WE HAD!! ) what do you guys say? Lets get together and show these kids (on-line) how this game is supposed to be played!

[This message has been edited by Bullvye (edited 10-20-2001).]
Old 10-20-2001, 02:45 AM   #22
BladeMaster

I have played 1e also. I have been playing for 16 years now. I started when I was 14 years old. I have yet to play 3e PnP yet but I am involved in a few online 3e games right now.

------------------

Old 10-20-2001, 07:52 AM   #23
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Hey lots of old 1st ed players here! I started in 1977, still have all my old books. I had about 75 Dragon magazines but gave them away a few years back, woops!Also played 2nd ed and have the books for third but havent played it. No players around here
Old 10-20-2001, 10:16 AM   #24
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Well here is another old timer! I started playing in college in 1979 and played 1st edition continuously until 2nd edition came out. At about that time a lot of personal changes took place: relocating, marriage, 1st edition friends moving on. Basically the group I traveled with refused to get caught up in the hype and especially the expense of 2E. Everytime you turned around there was a new book! My brother, brother-in-law, and I occassionally get together for 1E play. Rangers rocked in the first edition! In college we made up our own world. One of the guys even had a huge map that we made up on one of his room walls. I can still remember its name: "Map of Shifting Scales." We used a few Judges Guild products, especially Tegel Manor. Our DM at the time made sure that we used pencil andgraph paper because if you didn't and it wasn't recorded, tough luck. Later on I played under a DM who used the World of Greyhawk setting and he was absolutely phenomenol in using the basic background of politics and peoples to make my 1E experience the best ever. Well I guess that is enough nostagia. Anybody see my high elf F/T/M anywhere? He was my first rolled up character. *Sigh*
Old 10-20-2001, 11:24 PM   #25
Bullvye
Dungeon Master

Bump for the old timers!
Old 10-21-2001, 12:51 AM   #26
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Quote:
Originally posted by Bullvye:
I've been playing AD&D, both first and second edition, since around 1982!( I still believe first edition is the best!) I know I'm new here and dont have a really good idea of how the clans work on this board, but I'd love to either start, or belong to a clan of "old school" warriors, rangers, thieves and mages!

Anyone with me?....or is there anyone willing to direct me?
Yes we have a clan the O.L.D.C.O.O.T.S. I've been playing D&D since '79 and AD&D the only addition since '80 or '81 (the memory ain't what it used to be)

------------------
Crustiest of the OLD COOTS
Airline ticket to Afghanistan $800
High powered rifle with scope $1000
Hotel room with roof access $100
A clean Head shot on that sack of Horse Manure Usuma Bin Laden PRICELESS!
Old 10-21-2001, 12:57 AM   #27
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
ROFL! I just posted about being a 1st edition player in Cerise's thread! Yes, I've played 1st ed AD&D all the way back in 1981 and 1982, back with the classic books (DM's manual with the huge red demon on it, and the Player's Handbook with the demon statue with the huge burning brazier). We used to make up our own worlds...no Faerun, no Forgotten Realms, etc.

One of the best 1st ed. campaigns I ever ran was set in a world very similar to 1500 B.C.'s Israel/Egypt, with Hebraic runes/magical system, huge burial tombs, priestly caste/structure, the whole 9 yards. It was right after Raiders of the Lost Ark had made such a huge splash and all the players just loved it. Talk about fun back then!

Cheers,

Saz I still got my world some where, I spent years on it, working out weather patterns, plate tectonics, migratory patterns of the wild life all of the little things that flesh out a world I read so many encyclopedias my brain cramped up Oh the "good old days"

------------------
Crustiest of the OLD COOTS
Airline ticket to Afghanistan $800
High powered rifle with scope $1000
Hotel room with roof access $100
A clean Head shot on that sack of Horse Manure Usuma Bin Laden PRICELESS!