Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-26-2001, 04:26 PM   #11
G'kar

yes, sometimes my own sarcasm has a tendency to jump out before I can contain it, and a quick delete works wonders in such situations. Damn, I hadn't considered just erasing my the post, and leaving "deleted due to human failings" in its place.
Oh well, fortunately my sarcasm rarley goes to the point of Flame.
Please bring back user delete perogatives, please...

Old 09-26-2001, 04:27 PM   #12
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
I don't know if this is a 'new' feature, b/c for me I sometimes can delete a post and I sometimes can't, very peculiar that The same for the quoting a post that had a quote in it...sometimes it is included sometimes not I think I will chalk it up to my growing collection of the unknown!

Haven't been able to delete any of the several posts I've wanted to over the past week. Re the quote thing, my experience is the same as yours... sometimes two quotes are included, sometimes just the usual one. Well 'ow bizarre!!

------------------

Ascended Mistress of Illumination
Old 09-26-2001, 04:37 PM   #13
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
How does that work then, Mouse:

As I understand it, HTML tags (as opposed to UBB tags) like the ones to format text for size, font, colour etc and the "marquee" tag that makes my sig gif move across the screen only become active after the edit process, not automatically on posting when put into a sig..

I'm sure someone better versed than me in these arcane matters has the definitive explanation

------------------
Regards

Mouse

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 09-26-2001).]
Old 09-26-2001, 05:26 PM   #14
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:

As I understand it, HTML tags (as opposed to UBB tags) like the ones to format text for size, font, colour etc and the "marquee" tag that makes my sig gif move across the screen only become active after the edit process, not automatically on posting when put into a sig..

I'm sure someone better versed than me in these arcane matters has the definitive explanation

That's the second time tonight I've felt impelled to say 'ow bizarre'. But I'm sure it won't be the last, judging by some of the text I've spotted over the last few minutes!

------------------

Old 09-26-2001, 05:28 PM   #15
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by G'kar:
yes, sometimes my own sarcasm has a tendency to jump out before I can contain it, and a quick delete works wonders in such situations. Damn, I hadn't considered just erasing my the post, and leaving "deleted due to human failings" in its place.
Oh well, fortunately my sarcasm rarley goes to the point of Flame.
Please bring back user delete perogatives, please...
Deleted due to human failings. Well, I guess it might be our only option for the time being!

------------------

Old 09-26-2001, 07:45 PM   #16
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

A novel idea would to be either 1)Do not post anything you are not willing to back-up or 2)Take a step back and realize, before posting something you might regret, that everyone is entitled to their opinion and like it or not, they should not be flamed or insulted for it!

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!
Old 09-26-2001, 09:53 PM   #17
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I haven't heard anything from Ziroc one way or another, but I assume that he did purposely disable the "Delete posts" option from regular users. It will probably be more of an annoyance than anything else, guys. Like Moridin says (great point, btw), just be a little more careful before you hit the "submit" button. You can always go back and edit the post, as well.

The only problem I can see is when we have a "burpy" server; that is, when it double-posts outside of operator error. That may have been happening lately. All I can tell you is to e-mail me or another mod and request that the double post be deleted. If I see a double-post, I will assume it to be an error and delete it as well. Unfortunately, I, Memnoch (who's off right now), and Javi can't catch every dual post, so if it's still up there, alert one of us and we'll try to do something about it.

Cheers,

------------------

I know who you are...I saw what you did!
Old 09-27-2001, 01:01 PM   #18
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
I haven't heard anything from Ziroc one way or another, but I assume that he did purposely disable the "Delete posts" option from regular users. It will probably be more of an annoyance than anything else, guys. Like Moridin says (great point, btw), just be a little more careful before you hit the "submit" button. You can always go back and edit the post, as well.

The only problem I can see is when we have a "burpy" server; that is, when it double-posts outside of operator error. That may have been happening lately. All I can tell you is to e-mail me or another mod and request that the double post be deleted. If I see a double-post, I will assume it to be an error and delete it as well. Unfortunately, I, Memnoch (who's off right now), and Javi can't catch every dual post, so if it's still up there, alert one of us and we'll try to do something about it.

Cheers,

My double posts are always due to having hit 'quote' rather than 'edit' so I'll just have to be more attentive to which bit of the screen I'm using, rather than daydreaming!!

Thanks Sazerac!!

------------------

Old 09-27-2001, 01:09 PM   #19
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
My double posts are always due to having hit 'quote' rather than 'edit' so I'll just have to be more attentive to which bit of the screen I'm using, rather than daydreaming!!

Thanks Sazerac!!

What happens to me a lot is hitting "edit" instead of "quote" and trying to edit a guys post instead of trying to quote it! Oops... sorry.
I also occasionally get two quotes and occasionally one. This is my theory: If the user quoted used the "quote" button to quote his quote (er... did everybody understand that?), the text you write has only one quote. However, if the text you quote has a quote that the user put in manually (writing [ quote ] etc.), the quote stays. Just an idea.

------------------

Kazara

Sapphire Dragoness of ALSB
Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Guardian of the Temple of Aerie (specialized in GenCon and BG)
Old 09-27-2001, 01:13 PM   #20
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaz:
What happens to me a lot is hitting "edit" instead of "quote" and trying to edit a guys post instead of trying to quote it! Oops... sorry.
I also occasionally get two quotes and occasionally one. This is my theory: If the user quoted used the "quote" button to quote his quote (er... did everybody understand that?), the text you write has only one quote. However, if the text you quote has a quote that the user put in manually (writing [ quote ] etc.), the quote stays. Just an idea.
*snort-laugh* (I really did, too !) I actually understood that! Um, I find that, too. Plus some people get me all confusled by typing their response inside the quote 'tags'.

------------------

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

Owner/operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Honored to be a member of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Mage extraordinair.
Occasional minion to Gwhanos the Fluffy

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*

"Allright! We'll call it a draw."