Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-16-2001, 12:19 PM   #1
Terence The Unspecial
Dungeon Master

Hi,

SMALL SPOILERS

I butchered Edwin like a steer, as the title says. I am playing a relatively good party, and was doing the Mae'Var sub-quests.

Mae'Var is a rather irritating person, but the insulting remarks from Edwin were a little over the top.

I liked my party and decidded that although Edwin is a good mage, I didn't want him in the group cause I was full and happy with things as they stood.

So anyway, after the Mae'var subquests were taken care of I tracked Edwin down at the Copper Coronet and cut him to pieces as payback for being such an insufferably superior pain in the ass.

It was rather satisfying -- even though he's only pixels and code. I especially liked hearing that spell failure dialogue he has.

Anyhow, I was wondering: will this come back to haunt me? Does he play a role in the plot later on?

Old 08-16-2001, 12:23 PM   #2
debiler
Red Wizard of Thay

Have you ever thought about playing an evil party? Should suit your playing style better...

------------------
Calvin the bold he´s the one!
Old 08-16-2001, 12:30 PM   #3
Terence The Unspecial
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by debiler:
Have you ever thought about playing an evil party? Should suit your playing style better...

No, I reject the bourgeois concepts of "good" and "evil."

My position is to consider choices as relative to the society in which they are made. Absolutes have no place in my world.

As such I reject entirely the entire concept of allignment.

It may be the weakest part of the game, in my opinion. I hated it right from the start -- and I started playing D&D when it came in that little blue box, back in 1980.

But really, I'm much more interested in the consequences of hacking that schmuck Edwin to little tiny bits. Anyone have any input?

TIA,

Terence

[This message has been edited by Terence The Unspecial (edited 08-16-2001).]
Old 08-16-2001, 12:57 PM   #4
debiler
Red Wizard of Thay

Well, no.

------------------
Calvin the bold he´s the one!
Old 08-16-2001, 01:03 PM   #5
Terence The Unspecial
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by debiler:
Well, no.

SPOILER

I imagine it will be ok, its just that I dumped Yoshimo from my party, wanting to take another more powerful NPC instead, and then found out that --horrors-- he is a (small) part of the Chapter 3 plot and the source of some nice XP.

I just wanted to make sure that Edwin did not play some similar role later on.
Old 08-16-2001, 01:21 PM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Terence The Unspecial:
No, I reject the bourgeois concepts of "good" and "evil."
My position is to consider choices as relative to the society in which they are made. Absolutes have no place in my world.
As such I reject entirely the entire concept of allignment.
It may be the weakest part of the game, in my opinion. I hated it right from the start -- and I started playing D&D when it came in that little blue box, back in 1980.
But really, I'm much more interested in the consequences of hacking that schmuck Edwin to little tiny bits. Anyone have any input?
TIA,
Terence
It sounds like you should play Gerps, instead of D&D. The rules are more to your liking.

Old 08-16-2001, 02:24 PM   #7
Terence The Unspecial
Dungeon Master

Well, actually the D&D game is a rule system, and I think always has been.

That means you can take whatever parts of it you like, ignore the ones you don't, add to it, change it or whatever you want.

As long as the people I play with agree with my position, there shouldn't be a problem. And in this case, I'm playing on my computer and the box hasn't said a word of complaint.

I hardly think you are in a position to tell me that there is only one right way to play and that I am wrong. On the other hand, if you believe in the concept of Allignment so strongly, that may be EXACTLY what you are telling me.

But Im happy with D&D and so I think I'll stick with it, in spite of your suggestions.

Im only after one piece of information. Does anybody know if whacking Edwin have down the road plot implications.

Thanks,
Old 08-16-2001, 03:55 PM   #8
Tuor
Elminster

To the best of my knowledge brutally murdering Edwin does not impact on any quest later on in the game.

Hope that helps.

I understand Minsc particularly enjoys doing the job.
Old 08-16-2001, 04:09 PM   #9
Terence The Unspecial
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuor:
To the best of my knowledge brutally murdering Edwin does not impact on any quest later on in the game.

Hope that helps.

I understand Minsc particularly enjoys doing the job.
Thanks. That was indeed the information I was looking for.

Just for the record, the reputation of the party did not suffer when we cut Edwin up like bait in the front room at the Copper Coronet, which I take to mean that the developer doesn't really care if you scrag him.

And that not having him around to cast spells on your enemies is about as bad a punishment as you get for killing him.

Which could mean that the developer agrees with me that sometimes good people do bad things, and sometimes bad people do good things. Maybe good and bad depends on where you stand and what you see.

In history (our, real history) do people proclaim themselves to be evil? Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear? Was Irenicus nice to his pets?

Tune in to next week's turgid episode of "Get your Moral Relativism out of My Fantasy" where we poke sticks at captured dwarves in the name of science.

Old 08-16-2001, 04:37 PM   #10
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

It doesn't matter whatsoever. It will have no impact on your game. Do me a favor and kill Aerie too will ya?

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB