Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2001, 12:20 PM   #21
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
It's weird you know - because I was watching CNN and heard this. But all of the English news channels said that the Taliban had said they WOULD resume jihad against the US if the US bombed Afghanistan. There is a huge difference between the 2 statements.

I have noticed that CNN is reporting only some things, not others, showing 9 year old clips of Palestinians celebrating (that clip was from when Kuwait was invaded, not the WTC atrocity) and it worries me that many people in the US are being lied to by their news channels and may not have access to other sources of information. Heck, the BBC and ITN are not perfect, but there is much more information on them, which sometimes gives a different picture.

From what you and others are saying re reportage, it seems we have a much wider range of coverage, opinion and background in the UK media. For example, the Afghani perspective that began this thread - I read several commentaries in the Guardian newspaper that said pretty much the same thing as early as Thursday last week. Our Radio 4 - ditto. The tv I can't speak for, being as I don't have one!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Silver Cheetah (edited 09-19-2001).]
Old 09-19-2001, 12:28 PM   #22
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by kiwidoc:
One thing not mentioned as far as I can see so far on this thread is that if there IS a small highly trained force of ground troops moving stealthily from camp to camp to take out just the terrorists odds are it will NOT be all US by any means - it is very likely to be UK.

This is not just a US thing - people from all nations were killed, and the actions will have far reaching consequences. I am deeply uncomfortable with the decision on what is to happen being soley a US decision and I pray that this is not going to be the case.

This doesnt mean my heat does not go out to the USA - as it also always gone out to those in Northern Ireland and Spain who have had to live with terrorism for decades.
I think you're absolutely correct in this. USN Seals and/or US Army Green Berets or Rangers along with British SAS and/or Australian Special Forces would be almost unstoppable IMHO. I would *not* want to have any of those bad-assess looking for me.

As the British, Australians, Germans, and French have agreed to "unconditional" support...I would fully expect to see a multi-national special forces attack to avoid collateral damage as much as possible. I would suspect that the French Foreign Legion might be especially effective...

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 09-19-2001, 02:47 PM   #23
tracey
Manshoon

'tis true, in england, our news has been pretty thorough in looking at the background causality and deeper implications of the whole sorry episode. whatever happens, while people are demanding revenge and not really thinking terribly hard about what might happen afterwards, we're all in a pretty vulnerable position regardless of personal politics.

thanks for the post sazerac - hopefully it will be read by lots of people on the forum who can then pass on some of the thoughts contained therein.
Old 09-19-2001, 03:20 PM   #24
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Well posted Saz, in my opinion bombing Afghanistan back to the Stone Age would not be the best solution, but it might become the only one, what I would suggest is that a small team of elite soldiers, can't remember what the american elite soldiers are called, is it SEALs? These elite soldiers would then put a bullet through Osama Bin Laden's head from pretty far away, endangering no civilians, the Taliban "government"(More like dictators), could also be killed with some precision sniping, then, leaderless, the Taliban military forces would probably be unable to do much harm, this strategy might be impossible, but if it could be used I see it as the best one availiable, short of convincing the Taliban government to hand over Bin Laden to America, but that is impossible.

------------------
Worshipper of Tiax.

Wielder of the ancient Lawyer spells.

Member of the HADB clan.

Ally of the Fluffy Queen and the Dreaded Red Fluffy
Old 09-21-2001, 02:54 AM   #25
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by John D Harris:
Aid the Northern Alliance they are fighting the Talliban right now. Give them aid and what ever they need to remove the Talliban.

Just a comment that the US did this in Afghanistan two decades ago. That time the aid was given by the CIA to bin Laden and his mujihadeen fighters, to help get the Soviets out of Afghanistan. This has now come back to bite them. Back then communism was the big enemy. Today it's the Taliban. Will we replace one set of devils with another? And will it ever end?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Memnoch (edited 09-21-2001).]
Old 09-21-2001, 06:28 AM   #26
Luther
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:

Will we replace one set of devils with another? And will it ever end?

Most likely not, because we're Devil's ourselves. If only life was a computer game eh? Then the good guys would always win. But unfortunately, there arn't any good guys to begin with. Every moral judgement you make you make through a human's eyes, and those eyes will only see what is profitable for them to see. But that's just philosophical bullshit.
Old 10-01-2001, 06:25 AM   #27
Har'oloth
Manshoon

I think it is stupid to bomb afganistan because the land still lives in the dark ages and bombing will not solve anything they should get bin laden and not the people of afganistan

But they will not listen to me?

------------------