Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 05-16-2001, 07:19 AM   #21
Zateel
Zhentarim Guard

The Samuri did use a two handed style, for the most part. The small sword is traditionally a suicide weapon, or for back up or close quarters. The Katana was an outside battle weapon, while the Tachi was the more common dress sidearm (so I hear...)
Old 05-16-2001, 07:33 AM   #22
Swanhild
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Wow, all of this talk about swords makes me want to start collecting.

----------

One Land, one king
Old 05-16-2001, 07:38 AM   #23
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well Katanas come in a lot of different varieties (if ou ask thoose that makes them, normal people refer ((as I do mostly ) as only katanaīs).
You have the curve of the blade changed from mounted or ground wielding. The hilts length also is depending on how it is too be used.

The longer katanas are called Dai-katana (ye ye, itīs a game too )...

There are also alot of different styles in the art offighting with Katana. Mot known to us is Iaido and Kendo. This are the more general forms of fighting with Katanas. Some sholls specialized in fighting two handed, the most common way to fight since shields arenīt as common as in western countries.
Some wielded both the Katana and their Wakisashi. and some wielded two Katanas at the same time. This is the most difficult way and also not as common since it is impractical unless you are very good at it.

To read alot more info which is interesting and also a good and informative comic, see Lonewolf and Cub, a god and informative comic about the Samurais and their time. Also there are alot of good books on this issue and also there is a book named something like" The art of making the blade live" A book that describes certain swords of different ages and different cultures!

So well wield them how you want to, as long as you do that which you are supposed to do!

Remeber that one person beat all his opposition using one or two Bokkens!!!

------------------

WOLF WINS EVERY FIGHT BUT ONE, AND IN THAT ONE, HE DIES
Old 05-16-2001, 07:55 AM   #24
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Pennance:
A friend of mine actually showed me a little Kendo he knew several years ago and we were using live steel (kids, don't try this at home). I have my own set of Katana/wakizashi swords that I was using, so I was used to their grip. But the way he was teaching me was always to use a two hand style. There were some slashes executed with one hand, but it always returned to a 2-handed style.

But since we're pulling TV into this with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, what about Highlander? Conar and Duncan used Katanas and what style did they use?

To me 2-weapon style with large weapons is a desperation tactic. And I still stand firm that the off-hand weapon should be smaller like a short sword or dirk. But that's my 2-cents.
OK, sorry if Iīm booring anyone here.. Just wanted to add my two cents..

Most dual wielding styles have considered the second weapon to be mainly for parrying with, see the fencers using rapiers.. They have a parrying dagger to deflect the light blade of the rapier.
Scimitars are fast and use a flexible blades and also have the weight in a easy to handle way, making them rather easy to use one in each hand, but most who has, used the second to parry with. Why? Most people are onehanded, thus counting on their main hand for dealing out the major damage.. The left to jab and to deflect.. See boxers...

Also the blade itself and the technique made to for one blade differ greatly and adds it toll to the style. Sabers are prefered to mounted soldiers, the curve adding a reach with the slash. A rapier is for puncturing vital organs and thus demands so much precision a second weapon other than a small deflecting weapon is in the way, or your stance to be able to use both weapons makes you easier to hit..

A friend of myine is training realactment combat at viking age, he prefers to have a shield and axe, or a short spear. The quickness and easiness to use a spear together with a shiled gives you almost every time the first vital strike, you donīt open up yourself as much as with axe or sword. The main thing with an axe he says is the way it scares everyone! Itīs crude and brutal, good for bashing and ripping apart an opponents shield.

Er. ok, wont boore ou anymore for now

------------------

WOLF WINS EVERY FIGHT BUT ONE, AND IN THAT ONE, HE DIES