Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2000, 04:41 PM   #11
bogus

the cleric is almost as good a fighter as the fighters?? weird.. my (admittedly extremly limited) experience of clerics is that they suck big time as fighters.. they can't hit anything because of crappy thac0 .. wonder what I did wrong..

b

Old 12-07-2000, 12:16 AM   #12
omegadawn
Welcomed New User

even with differing max lvls, the druid spell ironskins gives HUGE attvantage in the race to cast spells.It effectivly nuetralizes the Thaco/weapon-armor attantage the cleric has. If the hypothetical contest were outdoors the druid would have the "call lightning" atvantage. Not to mention the quite useful nymph and elemental summoning. Some of the more powerful cleric spells are vs undead or good/evil alignment, giving the druid another atvantage: Neutrality. Shapeshifting may actually be useful as here as well, giving a better attack and renewed hp the druid needs after ironskins wears off.
I put my gold on the druid in the 10th round.
Old 12-07-2000, 12:21 AM   #13
omegadawn
Welcomed New User

On the other hand a cleric can kick some undead ass-Seriuosly, plus become very fighter-like using spells like holy power and call upon holy might. If no one in your party has strength above 18/76 then "strengh of one" is an awesome spell in terms of party melee effectivness.And if your only gonna have two summon spells, gate outa be one, just for kicks, although I dont get why a good priest would ever wnat to cast it?
Old 12-07-2000, 02:04 AM   #14
Kaël

Druids can not only use club and staff but Scminars as well so steal then of Drizzt and you'll have a (one the other is for good only) good Druid weapon

Old 12-07-2000, 02:11 AM   #15
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Unfortunately you can only use the normal +3 Icedeath (I think that's the name....) since you must be in good-alignment to use the +5 Twinkle and you get that only in Chp 6 of the game, but I would still go with druids, there are some decent clubs and staves out there in earlier part of the game.
Old 12-07-2000, 03:28 AM   #16
antaren420

jahera, as much as she whines, has saved my ass against mages many a time. it is a beautiful sight when you cast summon plague of insects on a group of mages that would otherwise have hit you with chaos, mental domination, or some other spell early in battle. i would be more inclined to use a druid in front lines then a cleric, but that kinda defeats the spell casting purpose. i'll keep jahera around for her anti mage tacktics, her and keldorn in my party can make any mage's day a very, very bad one.

Old 12-07-2000, 05:09 AM   #17
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hmm, tough decision ther, but what is this I read? Druids without good armour? Druids without good shields?
Is this because Jaheira is a fighter/druid or can´t Druids use shields and heavy armour otherwise?
Well , my position is that they´re both can be what you want, a druids shapeshift abilities can be really good and the oriest is also good but the druid can make the life very uncomfortable for a mage and thus is vital for good parties.. A cleric is the fighting ambulance in my parties mostly, good healing capabilities and can be made as a tank too, I would have to go for a draw, most classes in ADoD are very useful, as long as you are aware of their individual weaknesses and strengths...
Old 12-07-2000, 05:36 AM   #18
Arak

Aye its true Druids cant wear any good armour shapeshifters cant wear any armour, but that doesnt matter since they can shapeshift into Greater werewolf and kick anybodys b.... Clerics on the other hand is good to have in a group with their healing abilities and they can fight. But i still say Druids will rule the world one day and Arak will be the greatest of them all, all will bow be for me and i shall... heh sorry wrong board

Old 12-08-2000, 02:56 AM   #19
Armisael

Within game limits? Get a pure class druid and a pure class cleric, give them both 2,950,000 EP. The druid is now at level fourteen, and the cleric is at level twenty-one. These polls rarely ever prove anything because it comes down to which spells are used. Let's see...
In the first round, the druid will either cast iron skins or an insect spell. If it was iron skins, the cleric should respond with fire storm or finger of death. If it was an insect spell, the cleric should attack with a sling or hand to hand to disrupt the spell, since it will take a full round to cast. That's about as far as my prediction goes, since after that it's all random. I'd say the cleric will win, however, since they can at any time cast sanctuary and heal if they're injured.

Old 12-08-2000, 05:43 AM   #20
Mantis

personally i like clerics better, but since i haven't had much experience with a druid then my opinion doesn't have much evidence backing it up. one great thing about my lvl 20 cleric is his anti undead ability.
him and keldorn just wipe the floor with those blood suckers.
i actually used turn undead for the first time today and its really cool!!
especially at lvl 20!