Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-19-2004, 05:23 AM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Bought the album. Really loving it.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 11-19-2004, 05:26 AM   #2
Link
Jack Burton

I agree. It's not your average pop-rock band. I especially like their song "Bedshaped".

Goal: Beijing 2008
Old 11-19-2004, 05:48 AM   #3
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I agree Link.

First there was Radiohead and Buckley. Then there was Coldplay and Travis. Throw in a little slice of Ben Folds Five, and there is KEANE.

Great for music. Love the singer. Love the soundscapes. Love the piano. The space in the mix. Love the grooves. The hooks. The songwriting - especially speaking melodically - is really, really good.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 11-19-2004, 06:20 AM   #4
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
When i saw the title of this thread i thought you were gonna tell us how mighty good Man U is and all that, and i braced myself not to fall off my chair laughing.

No such luck.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:15 PM   #5
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Travis good yeh. Keane, average. I'm more of a oldies/metal man myself, but Keane are not bad, they are a bit depressing though.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:22 PM   #6
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

I like Keane, I've got their album "Hopes and Fears" as well [img]smile.gif[/img]

Ross I prefer the oldies as well [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Rock The Casbah by The Clash is STILL on my playlist since a few weeks ago when I found my dads "Best of the Clash" CD
Old 11-19-2004, 06:49 PM   #7
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
I love Keane. With just a piano, drum and vocals, they have proved that just a bare skeleton of a band can produce great work. Large bands do not necessarily equal good music. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I have their "Hopes and Fears" album, of which my favourite tracks are: Bedshaped, We Might as well be Strangers, and Everybody's Changing.

I must've spent a solid week trying to figure out the sub-meanings of "Bedshaped"... I am still none the wiser.

Also, along the same-ish sort of genre as Keane, are a band I like called Franz Ferdinand. Scottish rock dun'nay get much be'er than this! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2004, 04:54 AM   #8
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Franz Ferdinand are great too!

You mentioned Bedshaped, We Might as well be Strangers and Everybody's Changing Jaradu, those are the 3 songs on my playlist by Keane

And the songs by Franz Ferdinand are Mantinee, Michael and Take Me Out.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:46 AM   #9
Grojlach
Zartan

I actually went to see Franz Ferdinand last Monday. They were alright, but as it was being held in one of the bigger concert halls in our country (Heineken Music Hall), it did remind me of why I never go to "big name" concerts anymore. Once a band gets too well known, it tends to attract the kind of idiots you'd rather have visiting something more low-brow where they can "hey-hooo" and moshpit all they want without ruining it for anyone else. There were only about 10 people involved in the mosh pit (and again, a mosh pit during the pop-friendliness of Franz Ferdinand is just downright bizarre), but they managed to ruin it for dozens of others standing in their vicinity with their pushing, pulling and constant crashing into the rest of the crowd on purpose; just believe me that when you have to be on guard constantly (because some idiot could crash into you any second), it tends to ruin the overall experience somewhat.

As for Keane, well, not really my thing. Personally it reminds me of wine diluted with water - it vaguely resembles something good, but it still has an overall cheap taste. Too calculated, too forced. Then again, to each his own, right? [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-20-2004, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 11-20-2004, 09:00 AM   #10
Grojlach
Zartan

Oh, and if anyone wishes to hear some more extreme dissenting opinions on Keane, Pitchfork Media once reviewed Hope and Fears and, uhm, they didn't like it.
http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-rev...nd-fears.shtml

Note that aforementioned review doesn't necessarily represent my own opinion regarding Keane. [img]graemlins/littleangel.gif[/img]