Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-25-2001, 03:11 AM   #11
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

just saying i agree

------------------
Revived I Am to hunt this world... Banish ye evil or face my wrath...
Old 03-25-2001, 03:25 AM   #12
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Cloudy I guess we use the board for different purposes. When I role play I play an RPG. I want to talk to real people when I come online. I try and treat the board as I would a real life conversation. That is, I wouldn't say much I wouldn't do in R/L which is possibly why Leonis made the comment, and Moiraine discovered, that my talking and posting are very similar.

In some cases exaggerated wording is necessary to convey the additional information body language would normally send. Such as an icy glare or physical intimidation given to trolls or harrassers

The friendships I've made have been real, talking about reality, and in some cases substanciated into real life meetings. Had I engaged in 'role-play' I'd imagine a subsequent meeting would have been VERY awkward.

Also as a professional creative I live in the realm of making a dream reality. For me mental projection is an important part of the process in making something real.

What I'm saying is. For me there are no blurred lines. This is all reality. Each and every compliment I've given, or piece of encouragement, or vocalisataion of admiration is as real as the screen you are looking at.
Of course I can still horse around with a gag or two, but these are not 'role-play' I do not consider 'Yorick' a character. It is me - under another name.

Not arguing or countering you. Just pointing out a different way of thinking, tis all.

Reeka, I like the thread

------------------
Where were Hamlet and Horatio when I needed them?!

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 03-25-2001, 03:37 AM   #13
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Ah Yorick!

My role-play is only in certain threads! I failed to mention that! And for that I'm glad you posted! I do NOT role-play the whole board! MY Goodness! NO! The role-play is in Saga threads and in some parts of the Inn! So sorry! Oh and like the Hellfire/Jerome 'war' threads too. And by role I mean, geez, Yorick..I personally do not think I can cast spells and turn Jerome into fried chicken or Barney or such things so to me in that thread doing those things, well THAT is a role I play, a bard/mage... ..it really can't be an extension of "me" in that sense. Magic is NOT one of my hobbies. ...sigh...

That'll teach me to do my posting at 3:00 am, won't it?!

Please, everyone, note the above! Now I'm worried people will think I've been insincere, here , Yorick! And I have never been that here.

I wrote the above post mainly because there have been several misunderstandings that were directly based on what had to be role-play (other folk involved, not myself) because of the circumstances involved. I won't rehash, as I'm not fully aware of details (as I mentioned earlier) and it might cause others undue pain.

Oh, my...I don't want YOU to have the wrong idea, either, Hugh! I especially like the REAL conversations and friends I've made here!

Oh ...now I'm upset. I really didn't explain that well at all...sigh...

And when I mentioned signing certain ways? It was so that when in threads that are mixed (like the INN) when I want to be crystal clear it is me talking real life stuff (or real life concerns and compliments to people posting there ) they know it is the real thing and not extended part of the goofing off!

SIGHING and sorry for the mixup,

Cloudbringer...contrite

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 03-25-2001).]
Old 03-25-2001, 03:55 AM   #14
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Cloudy.... stay calm... breath in.... hold, 1, 2, 3 exhale.....

Nobody would assume you roleplay the whole board.

I was pointing out I don't at all.

People switching in and out would explain some of the confusion. I don't understand what happened and nobody seems to want to let the cat out of the bag, but I will say this.

When I call Draconia my sister, this is not role-play. No she's not my sibling, but it gives any support and affection a context. It pains me when I hear of stuff she's going/been through, and I want to empathise, give her and her children support, let her know she's not isolated and that her online company is enjoyed.

When I started the "Give Moiraine a hug" thread after her car accident, I made it clear it was for brotherly/sisterly "hugs" of support. The visualisation of a hug is powerful in this context, as the reality is, we cannot physically do so.

These are not role-play situations. Others may well get confused if people switch in and out of 'role' because ALL of our communication is limited to writing, and not everyone role-plays. Sometimes it may be harder for folks to know when someone is 'playing' and when someone is 'real'.

Don't go feeling bad Cloudy. We have never roleplayed together, and I'm aware that any communique between us has been genuine and real. Of that have no fear.

------------------

Old 03-25-2001, 03:57 AM   #15
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Aaah you edited in between when I started replying and when I finished!

------------------

Old 03-25-2001, 04:01 AM   #16
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

(ooc)

See the (ooc) at the top? That stands for "out-of-character". I first saw Asphyxiate use it during the EVIL SMITING roleplay with Jerome, Tipsy etc. when he wanted to make a "real-life" statement, so to speak, outside the persona he was roleplaying (which happened to be the evil wizard Asphyxiate M'All). Sometimes this helps in long roleplaying threads, so that people can see that you've stepped "out-of-character" for a moment!

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 03-25-2001, 04:02 AM   #17
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Cloudy, one thing I should point out is that I'm not saying either is right or wrong, just my observations on the effects of posting styles.

No condemnation, judgement or ridicule is contained within my words. Just pointing out what I do, so enlightenment may perhaps occur regarding the actions of others.

------------------

Old 03-25-2001, 04:05 AM   #18
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
(ooc)

See the (ooc) at the top? That stands for "out-of-character". I first saw Asphyxiate use it during the EVIL SMITING roleplay with Jerome, Tipsy etc. when he wanted to make a "real-life" statement, so to speak, outside the persona he was roleplaying (which happened to be the evil wizard Asphyxiate M'All). Sometimes this helps in long roleplaying threads, so that people can see that you've stepped "out-of-character" for a moment!

Perhaps (ic) may be appropriate? (in character)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 03-25-2001).]
Old 03-25-2001, 04:10 AM   #19
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Cloudy.... stay calm... breath in.... hold, 1, 2, 3 exhale.....

Nobody would assume you roleplay the whole board.

I was pointing out I don't at all.

People switching in and out would explain some of the confusion. I don't understand what happened and nobody seems to want to let the cat out of the bag, but I will say this.

When I call Draconia my sister, this is not role-play. No she's not my sibling, but it gives any support and affection a context. It pains me when I hear of stuff she's going/been through, and I want to empathise, give her and her children support, let her know she's not isolated and that her online company is enjoyed.

When I started the "Give Moiraine a hug" thread after her car accident, I made it clear it was for brotherly/sisterly "hugs" of support. The visualisation of a hug is powerful in this context, as the reality is, we cannot physically do so.

These are not role-play situations. Others may well get confused if people switch in and out of 'role' because ALL of our communication is limited to writing, and not everyone role-plays. Sometimes it may be harder for folks to know when someone is 'playing' and when someone is 'real'.

Don't go feeling bad Cloudy. We have never roleplayed together, and I'm aware that any communique between us has been genuine and real. Of that have no fear.

However you knew it, yes, I was getting anxious and was failing to breath properly...sheesh....

Sniffle..(yes a GENUINE sniffle...) Yorick, we never 'role-played' because empathy is one of my true gifts from God and I never felt 'right' about it in your case...guess I was on the money!

Yes, the confusion does exist and well, that's all I was trying to point out in my post. I wanted to try and make clear that if one is *going to roleplay* then one needs to keep in mind it can be difficult to make that separation later on . And often I make my points from MY perspective so I don't hurt someone else by using an example they might recognize...sigh... Makes me look darned ego-centric ...er well more than I 'really' am! But I find it works more often than not and people get the message in a non-painful or threatening way. In this case it might have made me look insincere and it really did upset me. I have made some very close bonds in the last few months and didn't want to hurt those relationships with mixed up signals. (small smile...there's no smiley for slightly-worried-but almost better smile is there?)

Cloudy (and I chose that one specifically to convey the "real me" when posting something serious in a saga/role-play thread because YOU gave it to me,Yorick and I've always associated that with my relationship with you on the board, the totally sincere, and sometimes playful me)

Old 03-25-2001, 04:20 AM   #20
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
(ooc)

Heaven knows it couldn't hurt...sigh... oh, hi Memsy...nice to see you! Uh, as you can see, I posted on role-playing...stupid of me to do it at this hour of the night on low sleep and probably should have composed my own thread-starter, but Reeka's was right in the subject I needed....oh well...

Uh, did I make any sense to you?

Simbul