Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 05-18-2002, 07:00 PM   #1
Rolandthemad
Manshoon

What is the deal with city guards? They don`t ever do anything but wander about and try to kill me for defending myself.

On the first blades mission this guy chased me all the way from the bridge into Fort Moonmoth. While he was casting fireballs or whatever and summoning skeletons to kill me all the legionaires did was wander around obliviously. Yet when I got up on a tower and started throwing knives at my persuer the whole camp went nuts!

[ 05-18-2002, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Rolandthemad ]
Rolandthemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 09:36 PM   #2
lord_gabriel
Manshoon

...yeah, that's typical, i got myself killed that way couple of times...

...BTW, welcome to the board...
...walk in the light..!<br /><br />Lord Gabriel<br /><br /> Ich bin der Geist, der stets verneint!<br />Und das mit Recht; denn alles, was entsteht,<br />Ist wert, das es zugrunde geht;<br />Drum besser wär\'s, daß nichts entstünde. <br />So ist denn alles, was ihr Sünde,<br />Zerstörung, kurz das Böse nennt,<br />Mein eigentliches Element.
lord_gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 09:39 PM   #3
*\Conan/*
Red Dragon

Rolandthemad, mybe you brought a hostile into town and tipped the scales with the guards when you attacked first.?
Making the first move in town is the quickest way to get into trouble..

Who is he and why is he following you? Retrace your steps and reflect on your adventure- between your journal, map, and experience an answer may be found.
Good luck!
Old 05-18-2002, 10:01 PM   #4
Silverthornne
Dungeon Master

I've seen guards kill monsters that wander close to town. Alits, cliff racers, hostile guars.. they all die to guards if they're in range. However, when sentient races are duking it out from what I see, guards seem to take a more hands off stance. Consider it they don't know what's going on so they don't interfere until they can identify where do hostilities came from first. Do the guards know you? What about the other guy? Who is the one breaking the law?
Old 05-18-2002, 10:14 PM   #5
Rolandthemad
Manshoon

I don`t know. I was mostly running, if I stopped to retaliate he would whack me with his halberd or whatever and that would be the end of it. I think he was some kind of bandit. I`m not sure. He did attack me first though.

He might have been some kind of Imperial guard himself! The problem is that I was running and I couldn`t really look at him. I`ve restarted the game since then and I`ve decided to wait until I get a few levels up before I go to that area again. I`ll figure it out somehow.
Rolandthemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 01:15 PM   #6
LordOgre
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Faction and seriousness of the crime are all factors as to how the guards react. That guy on the bridge is a bandit of some sorts I assume since he attacks on sight.

You ran to the guards, which is a decent thing to do, but since the guards at that Fort barely know you they will take a stand-offish approach. The problem being is most likely you turned, once inside the fort, and attacked your attacker. Only the guards didn't "know" you were being attacked, which made it look like you are the aggressor and are trying to murder this guy.

Murder will make a guard run from the corners of the earth to snatch you. I've seen the guards aggro on me while I was OUTSIDE that fort cause I had a murder bounty on my head.

Yet in other instances...I've had a 40 gold pickpocket bounty and I had to speak to the guard first in order to turn myself in. They didn't actively come after me. My disposition with those guards at that time was 67/100 also. They fined me 37 gp instead of the full 40 for turning myself in.

So in essence, when you run to guards for protection, let the attacker hit you first, in plain sight of the guards before you retaliate if you can.

PS. on a side note, once you DO get a guard to either help or assist you in any way... be very carefull where you attack and what you hit. I had a cliff racer attack me at the edges of town once. I cast Soul Trap on it, then proceded to attack. In that time though, a guard had wandered close and tried to "protect" me. I swung my sword and accidentally hit the guard instead of the cliff racer. He arrested me and fined me right in the middle of battle before finishing off the cliff racer. (yes that was a "reload" situation there)