Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2001, 11:53 PM   #1
Silverblade
Dungeon Master

Just wondering if monks are worth making into my main character, are they fun to play?, are they fun to build up like a pladin or mage? would appreciate your replies
Old 07-10-2001, 12:20 AM   #2
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I play a monk and I love it. There are some things you need to know about monks. In the lower levels they are not that great (I played a mage in BG1 and would compare it to that). You need a good party behind them because they are not that powerful. But once you start getting to probably level 13 and above they become awesome. At level 13 you get the Quivering Palm attack that you can use once a day and an opponent must save or die. You have stunning blow attack and increases with levels. You move at a faster rate of speed. Deflect missile ability. Immunity to all diseases. Your magic resistance increases with levels. At level 20 you are immune to all non-magical attacks. You have lay-on hands ability you may use once a day. In the hight levels they become kiling machines. They are well worth the pain they can be in the lower levels.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Order of the Holy Flame
Member of Clan HADB

Old 07-10-2001, 12:27 AM   #3
Gwayne
Zhentarim Guard

Reeka summed it up nicely!
silverblade! Monks are awesome!!! I enjoy all the classes but Monks are
really good at high levels.I will warn you though its miserable at low
levels but my friend the pay out it Great!Very FUN thiers nothing like
wreaking havock without using any weapons,and no armor

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gwayne (edited 07-10-2001).]
Old 07-10-2001, 01:00 AM   #4
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwayne:
Reeka summed it up nicely!
silverblade! Monks are awesome!!! I enjoy all the classes but Monks are
really good at high levels.I will warn you though its miserable at low
levels but my friend the pay out it Great!Very FUN thiers nothing like
wreaking havock without using any weapons,and no armor

They also get natural magic resistance, starting a level 14. In addition, they get some natural thieving abilities (hide, move silently, find (but not disarm) traps). Pump up hide and move silently, sneak in behind an opponent, then use stunning blow (or quivering palm) like you would a backstab. This does a great job of "tenderizing" opponents.

However, they are rather weak at earlier levels. Buy bracers of defense of whatever AC you can afford (you can always give them to one of your mages later). Also, there's a decent weapon that only monks can use for sale in the Copper Coronet. These should tide you over for a while (until you get good enough that you don't need much equipment).

Throne of Bhaal SPOILER
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
If you have Throne of Bhaal, monks get all of the "feats" (special fighting abilities) that warriors get, including ones like whirlwind attack (10 attacks the following round!). They truly become juggernauts after 20th level!

------------------

Death is only the beginning...
Old 07-10-2001, 03:44 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Silverblade, please try not to flood the board by posting essentially the same question on three separate posts (monk, mage, barbarian). Just put them all on one post.

Thank you.

------------------
Old 07-10-2001, 04:00 AM   #6
Tricky
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I agree with above. You basically start as "human being" and work up to a god.
Old 07-10-2001, 07:32 AM   #7
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

I'm playing a monk at the moment and one thing that bothers me is how boring monks can be. There is little challenge, even at this early stage, as you go around crucifying everything while your party stands back and watches. For soloplay they would be good, but as part of a group, their too powerful and hard to stop. Their not truly a roleplaying character. I have the impression that the mystical middle east meets AD&D and it doesn't truly make sense (even your character looks like Geghis Khan, sorta weird)
Old 07-10-2001, 08:11 AM   #8
Donut
Jack Burton

I've just started a new game as a monk and there's not much to get excited about at the moment. Do monks get a stronghold?

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Old 07-10-2001, 08:22 AM   #9
AngelofDeath
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
I've just started a new game as a monk and there's not much to get excited about at the moment. Do monks get a stronghold?

Nalia's Keep.......

Old 07-10-2001, 08:27 AM   #10
Big Al
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I played a monk my first time through the game. IMHO they are to easy once you get to higher levels. If you manage to pick up the gauntlets of crushing you can regularly deal out 60+ hp of damage per round which basically means that most creatures crumble before you. When you tie in the magic resistance it makes them virtually invincible. With hindsight it would have been great to have one in BG1 as they would have been really difficult to play at low levels. I'm considering soloing one to see if it makes them more of a challenge.

On that first game of mine with the monk I ripped through it just to see what the end was like. I finished the game in something like 35 days and only got to 14lvl that's how powerful they are!

Oh yes they get the fighter stronghold.

OK rant over