Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2002, 08:16 PM   #1
elbarono
Elite Waterdeep Guard

After getting about 10 "Main Gauche" and "Poingard", I decided to dual wield my fighter. The only problem is, if he has two weapons then he attacks once with his sword (doing 25-40 damage) and then once with the secondary weapon (doing 5-10 damage).. If I don't put in a secondary weapon, then he attacks twice with the sword for 25-40 damage each time. It doesn't seem like a great idea to dual wield, esp. when I can give him a shield and increase my AC by 2-3 points and still get multiple sword attacks.

Is this due to my dual wield skill being low? Will it start opening up more attacks once this skill gets over 50?

--Adam
elbarono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 09:11 PM   #2
Nix
The Magister

Well, somebody on this board can probably give you a more in-depth analysis of this. But based on my own limited observation after playing up to mid-game I think (I'm at Baijin), the game does seem to discourage dual-wielding for pure fighters in particular because (1) it's too inefficient to have to build skills on two weapon types like sword and dagger, and (2) up to my point in the game at least, I have still to find a sword for the off-hand, and the best weapon for fighters in this game seems to be the sword. I spent the early part of my game (and skill points) dual-wielding my fighter with a sword and poison dagger. Then I found a two-handed sword that does a heap more damage, so I effectively wasted precious skill points on dagger.

However, it does seem to make sense for the Samurai since he can have two swords, and I've read that it's the way to go for rogues/bards with two daggers. But in both cases, they dual-wield the same type of weapon, so skill development is efficient and rapid.
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 09:48 PM   #3
Nydlari
Manshoon

When you equip a second weapon you take a penalty to both; however, this penalty is offset by your dual wield skill and once it reaches 100, you can get full use from both hands. Becuase of this most people have generaly adviced that you work to build dual wield.

I'm a little less convinced. While a second weapon can significantly increase damage done, a shield has proven to signifigantly reduce damage take, both by the AC increase and the ability of the shield to block blows.

This leads me to beleive that a shield is better for classes with a low AC. Unfortunetly this doesn't fit well with role playing your characters since it means that Lords, Fighters, and Valks should dual wield, while your Samurai and Ranger are better off with shields...yes my samurai carries a shield, it's saved his butt often.
Nydlari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 10:50 PM   #4
Moni

I had my Samuari and Ninja dual weilding...in the latter parts of the game (when you can get the best swords) it pays off in the damage they do (two swords for the Ninja, a sword and a dagger for the Samauri)...I had my Lord wweiding a sword and a shield. The Samauri seemed to be the primary target for hits that landed...I'm thinking the Ninja's speed and the Lord's shield made that so, but still...with the two weapons he had, he could do some worthy damage.

Seeing the differences in opinions posted here, I think it all ends up being a personal preference thing for individual players.
Old 01-22-2002, 12:49 AM   #5
vesselle
Hathor

building up the proper attributes makes a huge difference.

for dual-weilding, if you aren't pumping dex, sns, spd then you're gonna have a pretty lame dual weilder.

for sword/shield type of guy, you need str, and vit.

V***V
Old 01-22-2002, 03:05 AM   #6
Warhammer
Baaz Draconian

If you try tu dual wield while having 0 in that skill. You end up with 50% weapon skill for primary weapon and 25% skill in the secondary weapon.

Meaning if you have 90 skill in swords and 4 in daggers. You will end up with 45 in swords and 1 in dagger.
Old 01-22-2002, 02:05 PM   #7
Nydlari
Manshoon

quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
I had my Samuari and Ninja dual weilding...in the latter parts of the game (when you can get the best swords) it pays off in the damage they do (two swords for the Ninja, a sword and a dagger for the Samauri)...I had my Lord wweiding a sword and a shield. The Samauri seemed to be the primary target for hits that landed...I'm thinking the Ninja's speed and the Lord's shield made that so, but still...with the two weapons he had, he could do some worthy damage.

I was using the same setup in my first game with a monk instead of a ninja, and had the same result; my samurai dealt out a lot of damage, but he was taking all the hits, so my Bishop or Bard was forced every round into healing him. Not a good situation. This time through, I've got my Lord dual wielding a sword and mace, and my samurai, bard, bishop, and ranger are all carrying shields. This is making life a lot easier. Yes, my damage output has been reduced a bit, but the damage I'm taking has gone way down, it's amazing how many hits can be blocked by a samurai with 58 in shield skill.
Nydlari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 02:55 PM   #8
MaskedFrog
Drow Warrior

Personally I have never had a problem with Dual Wielding. I had one character use a shield for a while but now I either am using two weapons or a 2 handed weapon. I have never taken enough damage to be overly concerned about the loss of AC and blocked hits from using a shield. In general I believe the best defense is removing the opponent before he can do anything. Dual Weilding does require patience as your multiple attacks come slower but in the long run it really pays off.
MaskedFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 06:49 AM   #9
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Manshoon

i think: it is highly affected by the class u play and staff the class wield
e.g. i've a rogue with 2 thieves daggers - and he is much stronger then with one!
possible reasons (ranked after personal thoughts):
1) both weapons have special abilities (i think this a the most important point)!
2) both weapons are of the same class
3) the char has high stats in dex,spd,senses

also a ninja (patched the weapons in and set the mace-skill to 7 at the beginning) i tested with two nunchakos was a nice!

i never got equal results with a samurai or a fighter!
Old 01-23-2002, 01:53 PM   #10
lord_gabriel
Manshoon

i have a bard, dual-wielding two stilettos and she rocks !!!
...walk in the light..!<br /><br />Lord Gabriel<br /><br /> Ich bin der Geist, der stets verneint!<br />Und das mit Recht; denn alles, was entsteht,<br />Ist wert, das es zugrunde geht;<br />Drum besser wär\'s, daß nichts entstünde. <br />So ist denn alles, was ihr Sünde,<br />Zerstörung, kurz das Böse nennt,<br />Mein eigentliches Element.
lord_gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote