Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 07-12-2003, 08:47 PM   #1
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

I'm trying to figure out exactly which druid (kit or vanilla) is the best for soloing. I'm gonna try without mods (except maybe a cap remover) and with ToB. I was thinking Avenger or Totemic, but I'm really stuck between the two. I was definitely with an avenger for awhile, but they do take a fairly severe blow to stats, though nothing that can't be overcome. Totemic on the other hand, has the summoning animals, but eventually that becomes less practical than the Avenger's spells. Hence my problem. I know at high levels the difference becomes smaller, because I'd be using HLAs instead of the special abilities. I am indeed, quite confuzzled.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:36 PM   #2
pcgiant
Symbol of Cyric

Totemic would probably be easier than Avenger, because the Spirit Animals have immunity to normal weapons, thereby rendering most monster's attacks useless. Since this is the SoA forum, I won't go into too much detail about HLAs, but both classes will benefit from them. I recommend Totemic Druid, but its your choice, seeing as though they will be of very similar difficulty anyway.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:45 PM   #3
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

On higher levels the difference becomes much less a matter.

The avenger's spells are actually not that darn attractive. Sure you get web, but you have none of the good follow-up spells that the mage can then finish them with. I would believe that the extra shapeshift forms have some use at the start, being hasted at all. At the later stages you will, however, be struggling with sub-optimal stats and even more draconic item restrictions.

The totemic druid is such a simple deal. You throw away the (worthless anyway) wild shapes and get the ability to summon those spirit animals.

At the start of the game they are brutal. In the midgame they are strong. At the late game they will lose their appeal to your big meaty elementals, but remember that they are free. You should probably also look into that little patch that gives the spirit animal enchanted weapons (no to-hit or damage increases, just makes them able to affect more opponents).
Old 07-13-2003, 10:57 AM   #4
BaRoN NiGhT

first, i'd rather recommend u to try an avenger.with it, besides using the advantage to shapeshift, the 6 mage spell r quite useful.and it is available at the beginning.

second, the totemic is not powerful enough to play later on in the game, though by the first time u play, it'll be a little brutal.for the summonings,it is not worth using it againts later mayor enemies.a totemic is just as weak as the regular druid, but gaining abilities to summon spirit creatures.

--------------------
BaRoN NiGhT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 04:18 AM   #5
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

F O N T FACE="lucida sans" SIZE="2" COLOR="#00ff00"

> first, . . .

the font . . . it hurts my eyes . . .

[ 07-14-2003, 04:26 AM: Message edited by: Armen ]
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 09:56 AM   #6
Alson
Galvatron

I'm with pcgiant, here (in hopes it'll pay in the next quiz [img]tongue.gif[/img] ): Go with the Totemic. This was the short reply. Read ahead if you're interested in some more rubbish-talk. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Anyone who soloed the game with a magic user knows how valuable summons are.
Druid summoning rocks. Really.

First, the Spirit Animals, or in their second (and more appropriate name): The Demolishers of Early Game. They totems are immune to non-magic weapons, which makes the early game a cakewalk. Their stats are: Base AC 2 to AC -1, 45 to 96 HP, Base THAC0 8-10. STR 16-19, DEX 14-20, 2 to 3 attacks. Immunity to panic, poison, sleep, petrification, confusion, charm, hold, stun, slaying, and they use special attacks (poison, cold,etc). Quite the spell soakers.

The Spirit Animals will get you through the early game and will allow you to gather a decent amount of XP. Once you can summon a trio or so of Nymphs, you're on the ball. The Nymphs (from the Call Woodland Beings spell) are especially deadly against groups of humanoids, who tend to be vulnerable to Confuse and Charm attacks.

In comes level 11, followed by a loud whoosh, then a triumphant trumpet sound. Fire Elementals are all you need. Really. With level 6 spells in your disposal, you're literally a one man army. And 3 Nymphs. And an Elemental. And a Spirit Animal. But still, a one man army.

These three summoning spells will be your cannon fodder.
Meanwhile, your Totemic hangs in the back, unleashing his arsenal of nature's wrath upon the enemy and resummons if needed.
You fight outdoors? Call Lightning can wreak havoc in enemy lines.
Mages pestering you? Release thy's Insects!
And if it's really a major mofo that just won't come back to mother nature (or the Abyss, but now you're just being semantic [img]tongue.gif[/img] ), break all the stops and embrace Nature's Beauty. If you're not aware of this spell's unbelievable (read: cheesy) powers, check out the Spells Reference.

Your weapon could be, for example, the Fire Tooth +3 throwing Dagger. It deals decent damage (like a Bastard Sword!), and Fire damage is always good (cuts through stoneskin, blah, blah).
Oh, and that may sound surprising, but don't bother to memorize more than one Ironskins. If you're caught in melee, you're doing something wrong.

Told ya there's gonna be rambling. [img]smile.gif[/img]
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 03:48 AM   #7
BaRoN NiGhT

Quote:
Originally posted by Armen:

> first, . . .

sorry but i like it, and you'd better not read it if u dont.dont blame me if your eyes hurt. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

--------------------
BaRoN NiGhT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 06:03 PM   #8
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by BaRoN NiGhT:
quote:
Originally posted by Armen:

> first, . . .

sorry but i like it, and you'd better not read it if u dont.dont blame me if your eyes hurt. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

--------------------
[/QUOTE]Yeah, the font is crap and the color does hurt. But it's allowed, and so is CTRL-A ...

[ 07-15-2003, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Zuvio ]