Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-25-2004, 01:00 PM   #11
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Yeah, of course there's some songs i like, i just think the guy sucks, and i really can't explain why. Maybe it's because he's white ? I'm more into the older Dr. Dre stuff, and Ice Tea, Ice Cube, and Cypress Hill. I believe i told you that already sometime. I also find myself listening to Public Enemy quite often lately.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:33 AM   #12
Sigmar
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Sigmar, you're sounding like masses, seems like you're jumping on the bandwagon blindly shouting about how good Illmatic was and nothing else of Nas's. I agree that Illmatic has some great rhyming, but the beats are boring - there are some much better ones on his later albums. Stillmatic was a good album, with some good lyrics AND beats. God's Son has some brilliant songs. I Am has good songs, and even Nastradamus has some real gems, such as "Last Words". People don't often mention that album, but I love this verse from Last Words:, brilliant metaphors, similes...poetry [img]smile.gif[/img]

--SICK lyrics ------

sorry, the person who typed that, doesn't know what commas are [img]tongue.gif[/img]
anyway, errr...back to Eminem

Heh, Nate Dogg rules in "'Till I collapse".

As for Nas, I don't have all of his albums (just Illmatic and Stillmatic) but I've heard enough of the others to know that none of them flow as well as "Illmatic".

So maybe the other albums have better single tracks, but as a more consistant and listenable experience it's gotta be Illmatic. Personally there are few albums I can listen from beginning to the end without skipping a couple of tracks on the way, this is one of them, it just moves from one song to the next so well. As for the boring beats, I think it actually works with Nas's vocals personally!

But I agree it was stupid of me to claim that he's done nothing good since "Illmatic", 'cause that simply isn't true. But he hasn't done anything special, if you know what I mean. Any rapper can throw out a good song once in a while, it takes a great one to be consistent. IMO he hasnb't turned it around. Sucks to have one of the greatest albums of all time as one of your first albums!

...those lyrics were nice btw, might have to check the album out (reminds me of the Rock band Creed! )

----------
Old 11-26-2004, 06:13 AM   #13
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Hmmm the album (Nastradamus) as a whole is quite good, but there some skip-worthy songs. I'd say about half the tracks are listen-to-multiple times kinda good.

Speaking of good lyrics, I've recently discovered the Moment of Truth album from GangStarr and love some of the lyrics. This is the 2nd verse from the title song, I love these lyrics

Sometimes you gotta dig deep, when problems come near
Don't fear things get severe for everybody everywhere
Why do bad things happen, to good people?
Seems that life is just a constant war between good and evil
The situation that I'm facin, is mad amazin
to think such problems can arise from minor confrontations
Now I'm contemplatin in my bedroom pacin
Dark clouds over my head, my heart's racin
Suicide? Nah, I'm not a foolish guy
Don't even feel like drinking, or even gettin high
Cause all that's gonna do really, is accelerate
the anxieties that I wish I could alleviate
But wait, I've been through a whole lot of other **** , before
So I oughta be able, to withstand some more
But I'm sweatin though, my eyes are turnin red and yo
I'm ready to lose my mind but instead I use my mind
I put down the knife, and take the bullets out my nine
My only crime, was that I'm too damn kind
And now some skanless motherfuckers wanna take what's mine
But they can't take the respect, that I've earned in my lifetime
And you know they'll never stop the furious force of my rhymes
So like they say, every dog has it's day
And like they say, God works in a mysterious way
So I pray, remembering the days of my youth
As I prepare to meet my moment of truth
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 11-28-2004, 10:20 PM   #14
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Sigmar:
Was anyone else slightly let down by Eminem's latest album? Compared to the incredible "Marshall Mathers LP" and "The Eminem Show" it was a bit, hit and miss.

He has a lot of good songs in it, but some the ones that made the cut are plain, old turkeys. Doesn't flow well at all IMO.

"Curtain's up"- Just a (boring) intro, I like the way the crowd chants "EM-A-NEM"
"Evil Deeds"-Some of my friends found the way he keeps repeating words in this track to be annoying, and the chorus to be off-key (or whatver), but personally I like it, and it's a good opening track for this album. 3/5

"Never Enough"- Probably one of the better tracks of the album IMO (even though it's a bit short). Nate Dogg's chorus is great (as usual) and 50 Cent flow's suprisingly well here, Eminem's alright here. 4/5

"Yellow Brick Road"- The first time in the track where if feels like Eminem is actually being "real". Reminds me of his "8 Mile" soundtrack stuff which I really liked. Good stuff. 4/5

"Like Toy Soldiers"- Suitably dramatic and stuff, like most of the last half of "The Eminem Show". Shame there wasn't more tracks like this in the album. 3/5

"Mosh"-Oh boy. You'll listen to it once, hear his "anti-Bush" message, and avoid the boring lyrics and beat in the future whenever possible. The first Skip (avoid) track. 2/5

"Puke"- ? Eminem wrote this?!? The chorus and beat sucks, the rest of the song is a boring "I hate you Kim" song. The puking doesn't help either. Skip

"My 1st Single"-I can see why this was going to be his first single, the beat is really good. He could have rapped about the Antique dealing with this beat, and it would still have been good. The lyrics in this song are alright, but again,it doesn't feel like he's trying. 3/5

"Paul"- I'm happy Michael Jackson is unhappy, just a skit though.

"Rain Man"- If he sets out to show he can rap about essentially nothing and still create an alright track, he's done it with this track. Unlikely you'll hear it more than once though. 3/5 Skip

"Big Weenie"-Oh good God. What have you done to Eminem, and where are you keeping his body? The weakest put-down track I've ever heard him release. He does flow alright in this song, he's an incredible rapper, but he's working with horrible lyrics. 2/5 Skip

"Em calls Paul"-SKIP

"Just lose it"-Yes, perhaps it is cheesy like every other previous cheesy song he's released (My name is, The Real Slim Shady, Without me), it has an annoying Pee-wee-Herman laugh every two seconds, but God help me I like it. Call it a guilty pleasure, I'm just waiting for a killer remix *dials Little John, DJ Green Lantern and Westwood simultaneously* 4/5

"Ass like that"-For some reason, Eminem rapping about Girl's "badunkadunks" is just....wrong...his middle eastern accent makes this bearable...the first time. Skip

"Spend some time"- Very good, Obie Trice is incredible here, the chorus..."suitably dope" and Eminem sounds good here. Stat Quo sounds good too, reminds me of Bugz a lot. 50 Cent wraps up the nice package, good stuff.
4/5

"Mockingbird"-Another "real" song, like he actually tried here, I like his depressing, slow and emotion filled songs. So I like this one too, it just sounds right, like this is what he should have been delivering throughout.

"Crazy in Love"- The chorus...incredible, the beat amazing....Eminem...bored.
"What are you talking about? What the hell do you know?" My opinion here, but
I feel he uses the same monotonous voice, and I can picture Dre in the background saying "One more time, WITH FEELING". 3/5

"One Shot 2 Shot"- "What, we've got a rubbish song leftover from the rubbish D-12 World album? Let's stick it in my new album." Skip 2/5

"Final thought"-Nice build up to the impressive outro.

"Encore"-YYYYYEEEEEESSSSSSSSS This is what the album needed, more "Dre & Eminem" who work together almost as well as "Redman and Method Man". The chorus is nice enough, and 50 compliments Eminem and Dre vocals very nicely. Shame this track just reminds you how good these people can be. *Remix please* 4/5

----------
Extra CD:

"We as Americans"-Why this didn't make the cut unlike some of the turkneys that snuck in is a mystery. A very good track, Eminem flows well, yadda yadda yadda, good Eminem song. 4/5

"Love you more"-Again, better than "Puke" and other turkeys in every way. 4/5

"Ricky Ticky Tock"-Not the best song ever made, but hell, it's still better than a few other tracks on the Album. 3/5
---------------------

Verdict- Go back to the drawing room you lyrical genius, and throw out another incredible Album next time. "Encore" just tarnishes his personal record.

What do you think?
OK, I got the album a few hours after it came out since I'm obsessed with Eminem's music. I'll admit that it's his 2nd worst album (Infinite was probably his worst), but here are my ratings:

2. Evil Deeds: awesome song. I find nothing wrong with the chorus, and Eminem even admitts that his lyrics about his horrible life are getting boring: 4/5

3. Never Enough: Yeah, Nate Dogg's chorus is awesome. The rest of the song was ok, but I wouldn't say it's one of the top songs on the album. It's one of the songs that I listen to the least: 3/5

4. Yellow Brick Road: Yes, yes, and yes. This is an amazing song. Despite the somewhat strange intro, it's a great song. The 2nd verse is my favorite. I like the part "He looked at me like I'm at my mind, shook his head like white boys ain't know how to rhyme, I spit out of line." 4/5

5. Like Toy Soldiers: What's this? Eminem is...sorry? What? Plus, it has a terrible chorus: 1.5/5, maybe a 2/5.

6. Mosh: I don't need to add a differnet comment

7. Puke: Boring song with the same stuff from the past. The puking is annoying, and I don't like how he puts on a 'sing song' voice. Worse than 'Like Toy Soldiers' though, although I rated them the same. This song needs better rhymes: 2/5

8. My 1st Single: Amazing lyrics. I see no reason why this couldn't have been his first single for Encore. The only thing that I absolutely hate in thi s song is the burps and farts in the chorus, or else this is one of the best songs on the album: 4/5 (I'd give it a 4.5 if it wasn't for the burps and farts).

9. Paul: skit=no rating.

10. Rain Man: I love the chorus. Funny song as well. I agree with your comment about how his song doesn't need to make sense, which he even says at the end of the 3rd verse. 3/5

11. Big Weenie: the chorus caught my ear for a few days. Some of the rhymes are good, but it isn't a great song. 2.5/5

12. Em Calls Paul: Once again, I hate the fart sounds in the background. They'll ruin his career [img]tongue.gif[/img] :skit=no rating.

13. Just Lose It: it reminds me of The Real Slim Shady and Without Me. Good lyrics along with a funny song. Good choice of a first single: 4/5.

14. Ass Like That: HILARIOUS song! The lyrics are funny and the accent still catches my ear and I like how he makes fun of Triumph the Insult Dog. The accent makes the whole song : 4/5

15. Spend Some Time: pretty good song. I like Obie and 50's verses. Stat Quo's short, yet great verse sticks out as well. Eminem needs to stop using a sing-song voice: 3/5

16. Mockingbird: He basically stuck in a quick summary of his past. He can do better, and he doesn't need to use some song from the past in this song. I won't say that it's a bad song though, since I think the lyrics are decently done: 3/5.

17. Crazy In Love: probably one of the best songs on the album. I really wish there was a 3rd verse. The 1st verse is better than the second, but simple chorus catches my ear. The beat is amazing. If he sang the words a little faster, then it would be even better: 4.5/5

18. One Shot 2 Shot: I agree on this one. Eminem's part is very well done, however: 2/5

19. Final Thought: skit=no rating.

20. Encore: YES! I agree. This is a great song. The whole album does need more Dre and 50 cent, but this song is amazing: 4.5/5!

21. We As Americans: honestly, I think this song is pretty bad. I think the intro to it is terrible as well as the chorus: 2/5

22. Love You More: wow, what a song! The chorus is perfect. Some of the rhymes stick out, but half of them are simple. It's still a great song with a great beat, and it gives life to his old 'I Hate You Kim' stuff: 4/5

23: Ricky Tick Toc: I feel like this is a freestyle instead of a song. I won't rate it, I don't even like it.

Overall, it's a CD that I can listen to over and over, but I'm still disappointed. It was better than Chingy's Powerballin' IMHO.
I'm looking forward to 50 Cent's album that comes out in February 2005. Also, I'm really looking forward to Dre's Detox, which I think comes out in 2006 according to one of the lines in the song 'Encore'

Edit: changed some ratings, plus I left out the bonus songs.

[ 11-29-2004, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: Lord ]

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Old 11-29-2004, 04:10 PM   #15
Sigmar
Unicorn

he situation that I'm facin, is mad amazin
to think such problems can arise from minor confrontations
Now I'm contemplatin in my bedroom pacin
Dark clouds over my head, my heart's racin
Suicide? Nah, I'm not a foolish guy
Don't even feel like drinking, or even gettin high
Cause all that's gonna do really, is accelerate
the anxieties that I wish I could alleviate

Nice.

Gangstarr huh, might have to give that a look too!

---------------

Good post Lord.

Though I don't really agree with points 14 and 21 (everyone has different musical tastes, yeah amazing huh? ) I think the rest of your points are spot on.

Thanks for contributing!

I'm really looking foward to Detox too, 50 Cent's Album to a lesser extent.

I really want DMX's next and apprently last album he'll be recording. Shame.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:17 PM   #16
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I liked it. It was/is not as good as MMLP or Eminem Show, I agree. The better songs are in the second half. Yellow Brick Road and Toy Soldiers are good, but each needs annotations -- or at least 12 issues of Vibe for background info.

I'm sad that this last album dipped a bit in quality. It's still some of the best on the market -- just not by as much. And, I like this album better upon the second and third listening. Problem is... he's coasting.

And, Mosh is one of the best songs on the album -- and it's about time he got political. Dissing L. Cheney for having a beef with him is one thing -- but taking on the larger politics issue is good for him. About time. Only been hinted at by him before (e.g. Square Dance) but now it's out there.

[ 11-29-2004, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]