Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Darkstone

Old 02-08-2001, 12:29 AM   #1
Morninglord

Well, its me again =)
I have another question. Currently I am on level 16, and in one place there are three pedestals, two of which have human skulls placed on them, and one which is empty. I would assume that something is to be placed on the empty pedestal (another skull?), but I haven't found anything that can be placed there. What is to be placed there (if anything) and where can it be found?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-09-2001, 03:57 AM   #2
20mithrandir

I don't want to give you too much hints, but here's something to think about:

Did you kill two very special guys (Gartol and Digmar) who left two special swords when they died?
Maybe the skulls have something to do with Gartol and Digmar?

for further information ask back
Old 02-09-2001, 05:45 PM   #3
Morninglord

Well, thanks a lot for the help. I really should have understood what to do myself, but I guess I am too eager to finish the game to take it slow and think for a second =/ (I have too many games I am playing currently, and I want to finish some of them quite soon) Anyway, thanks again, for answering a question probably so silly you haven't even gotten it on this forum before! =)
Old 02-10-2001, 07:10 AM   #4
20mithrandir

I don't think that there is a question which is so silly we haven't even gotten on this forum before
Old 02-10-2001, 10:02 AM   #5
Morninglord

Really? How about:

"Dauuh, yah all, whass like, u know, a darkstone 'n stuff? is it like really kewl 'n so? cuz i heard about it b4!"

Hehe, I really hate those common internet abbreviations that are so often used by the teenage population of the internet, such as "u" instead of "you" and "b4" instead of "before", "cuz" instead of "cause", etc =)
Old 02-10-2001, 01:21 PM   #6
Morninglord

Oh, and actually I do have some more questions...

I have some reed in my backpack that has been there for quite some time now, and I don't know what to do with it. What am I supposed to do with it? Give it to that faery? I *think* I've tried that...

What effects does the potion of youth have, when and why shall one drink it?

If I cast away stuff on the ground in town, does it stay there even after I save and quit the game? (Yes, I have tried, and it stayed there, but I don't want to take any risks with the spellbooks that I as of yet can't learn the spells from)

There are some items which I wonder if they were safe to throw away, like the looking glass, the cloak that enables you to go through walls in the first dungeon, Korgans amulet, etc. Those items hold no place later in the game, do they?

And *how* many potions of immortality should one have found after going through the dungeon they are found in?

What does the meditation skill do?

I have an empty bible in my backpack, and I suppose that I in some way is supposed to restore the faith of the ex-blind priest with it, but where do I get any text to fill the pages with? I have not spoken with any priest that I can recall that would help me with this.

As always, thanks in advance.
Old 02-11-2001, 10:35 PM   #7
Gadzooks
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Some answers...

I have some reed.... You should get 5 reeds. Remember the instructions from the Faery at the lake? Did you encounter a room full of snakes and a crystal? If you did, look at the 5 faces on the wall - they have a hole where their mouth should be.... it's a snake charmer thing....

What effects does the potion of youth have, when and why shall one drink it? Takes 5 years off your age, but you can't get any younger than 20. The younger you are, the faster you gain experience. If you age over 60, you start to loose attribute points (strength, vitality, etc.). You should try to stay between 20 and 30.

If I cast away stuff on the ground in town, does it stay there even after I save and quit the game? Yes, even the time orb will stay put, even gold coins too. The townfolk are very honest.

*** Extra *** You can put on everything you own that adds to your magic points and then you can read magic books faster. You can then take off all the extra magic stuff and the books you read remain part of your capabilities. For instance, I have a warrior that has 196 magic, and I want to read a spellbook that is 205 magic. I go to town, wield my +11 to magic sword (that I left in town just for that purpose). That raises my magic to 207, I then read the book, gain the spell level, and then drop the +11 sword back on the ground and play on.

There are some items which I wonder if they were safe to throw away..... Once you get the crystal associated with those items, just leave them in town somewhere, you will not need them later. The quest items (reeds, Horgan's amulet, etc.) are only meaningful for the set of dungeons you are in.

And *how* many potions of immortality should one have found after going through the dungeon they are found in? You should find 3. Each comes with a potion of youth. You have to strike the fountain with a weapon to get the potions.

What does the meditation skill do? It increases your mana for a period of time. Concentration increases your AC and %Hit, prayer increases your AC.

I have an empty bible in my backpack... Have you passed a temple recently? Look at the 'offering plates' - give you any ideas?

Hope this helps - I can give you complete spoilers to the last one if you want

Happy slashing,
Gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2001, 11:51 PM   #8
Morninglord

Thanks for the answers, it is muchly appreciated =)

One more thing: What level are your warrior to have THAT high magic score?? (Unless your example was a purely hypothetic one)
Old 02-15-2001, 11:27 PM   #9
Gadzooks
Elite Waterdeep Guard

FYI, after 3 levels.... my warrior (Wagad) is level 54. He has armor that is +22 to all w/ reflections (496/496). His helmet is +21 to all, his shield is +18 to all with poison cloud (976/976). He wields a throwing axe (40-45 w/vampire, +45 HP damage) and sword (I like to have a sheild for better AC) 50-75 (vampire w/+42 HP damage). He has a +31 to all (w/invisibility 1400/1400) and +22 to all rings. If you think this guy is dangerous in a dark alley, you should see Polgara (level 73 - max'ed in all spells - had to stop playing network game with her cause she kept killing me accidently - through my warding attempts).

Warriors max out at 50 exp points in magic (100 in Dex, 150 in Vit, and 1000 in Str). So I decided to get my warrior to 50 in magic fast and buy every magic potion elmeric has. I played him as a paladin for the first two levels (Fighter/Mage) - probably should have played a monk, they have higher magic, but monks still max out at 100 magic. Anyway, his magic base is 100+ using that strategy. The high magic levels help in reading books, but not for mana. I quickly figured out that with warriors, it's much better to get stuff that's +n to mana than +n to magic (he wears an Amulet that's +72 to mana and another ring that's +56 to Mana). Additionally, items with spells in them 1) raise your spell level 1 experience level (if you have Magic bomb 2/8 and a helmet w/MB in it, you will cast MB at level 3/8 ) and 2) use mana in the item as opposed to your internal supply. This is real handy for the 'wasp nest quest - get something w/ confusion and something w/invocation). By taking advantage of 1) you can achieve level 9/8 in your spell casting.

MTCW,
Gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote