Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 04:43 AM   #1
Dave_the_quack
Baaz Draconian

Happy Dual classing and HLA problem

Hi All,

Bit of a dilemma...

I decided to play a Fighter => Assassin (thanks, Shadowkeeper!) and opted to go with dual classing instead of multiclassing in order to obtain Grandmastery in both my weapons of choice - the shortbow and halberd. Current levels are 18 and 21, with 2,500,000xp and 2,569,741xp respectively. Problem is.... I've as yet received no HLA's.

I've just checked the FAQ to make sure that HLA's are available when a characters collective XP reaches 3,000,000... which it does. However - in reality, my current game is not reflecting this as my collective XP is now sitting at over 5,000,000.

Any thoughts on why?

I Shadowkeepered my fellow to reflect well in excess of 3 million XP on his Thief class alone, and lo-and-behold I obtained the option to select HLA's.

Is this supposed to be the way it works? Very annoying - I'm going to reach my 8 million XP limit with a limited HLA selection (woe is me - less spike traps )

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited by Dave_the_quack; 11-02-2007 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Sig issues
Dave_the_quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:12 AM   #2
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Default Re: Dual classing and HLA problem

i'm afraid that is the way it works

dual classed characters have to wait for their second class to get 3 million of their own - i'm patiently waiting for a generic archer -> thief to get use any item as i speak

multiclass characters get them when their total combined XP equals 3 million - in the same game my multi ranger/cleric is already getting HLAs

interesting weapon choice for an assassin though - do you not do backstabs or do you have something else for that?
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:38 AM   #3
Dave_the_quack
Baaz Draconian

Thanks for the quick reply Armen.

Strangely enough I use Pitchwife, +5 club for backstabbing. For some reason I just really liked the idea of using it against spellcasters - 5 acid damage to get through stoneskins, and if stoneskins were not there in the first place and if for some strange reason a mage survived my backstab the slivers would potentially stop further spells from being unleashed.

And I had never used halberds before. I must say I'm VERY impressed with them.

Oh - one last thing. I think the FAQ needs updating...

"What is a HLA?

HLA stands for High Level Ability. You can only get them if you have ToB installed. Characters gain one HLA per level up after their collective XP exceeds 3,000,000 XP. For Dualclassed and Multiclassed characters, the XP from both classes( or three) is added up to get a collective total."
Old 11-02-2007, 08:59 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Re: Dual classing and HLA problem

FAQ has been updated.

Cheers.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:18 AM   #5
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_the_quack View Post
if for some strange reason a mage survived my backstab
btw - for your next run through install some bits of the tactics mod (specfically smarter mages component) then all enemy mages will have stoneskins active and probably protection from magic weapons too

means that backstab tactic need a bit more thought
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:59 AM   #6
Dave_the_quack
Baaz Draconian

Yeah - I definately need to change my game up a bit. For some stupid reason I stick to Core rules, immediately attack the most difficult groups available in the first couple of chapters and then get bored stupid.

I'm sure I'll change to Insane and get absolutely slaughtered in Chateau Irenicus. Heh... could be worth a shot.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:00 AM   #7
Dave_the_quack
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundee Slaytern View Post
FAQ has been updated.

Cheers.
Thanks Dundee. I'm actually suprised no-one spotted/realised this was incorrect before!

Dave