Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 12-03-2004, 11:34 AM   #1
Rusty Shackleford
Dungeon Master

ok, i was just wondering who hit harder between my warrior and my wizard.

my warrior has 20 str, 10 sword skills, ironmight and the 6-16 mavin

my wizard had 24 str, 12 pole staff, ironmight and a 6-14 staff that i forgot the real name

could my wizard realy be hitting harder than my warrior? if yes then thats wierd :S
Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:46 AM   #2
bsftcs
Red Dragon

With the way that characters take on new roles, that should sound likely. Since wizards furthermore often carry lighter equipment, a wizard can in fact be a far better fighter.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:52 AM   #3
Rusty Shackleford
Dungeon Master

[img]redface.gif[/img] , thats crazy [img]tongue.gif[/img] , well, its a good thing anyways cuz my wizard is my favorite character, she has paralize on her staff too wich adds a little extra spice to the equasion [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2004, 12:16 PM   #4
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Shackleford:
my warrior has 20 str, 10 sword skills, ironmight and the 6-16 mavin

my wizard had 24 str, 12 pole staff, ironmight and a 6-14 staff
Stop me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen any advantage to training weapon skills past maybe Lvl 4 or 5. They don't seem to add any damage, and they don't help out the Hit stat any that I've seen ...

I'd probably have to vote for the fighter, though, since he's probably got a lot of other things that add to damage (Gallantry, Fury, &tc.), Strength aside.

@bsftcs: Congrats on the graduation from Quintesson hell! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
aleph_null1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 12:23 PM   #5
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Thank you. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I really cannot remember if it made any difference when I maxed out my characters' skills, but I am sure Radek has some figures for us on that matter.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:23 PM   #6
Rusty Shackleford
Dungeon Master

well, all that i know is that my wizard is stronger and seems to hit more often than when she was at level 4-5, maybe it dosent raise the hit stat but it must have some effect.

and no, by warrior i meant fighter not barbarian, maybe he can get more skills after the last two quests of the warriors guild but right now all he has is ironmight and my wizard has it too so that equals it out.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:28 PM   #7
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Shackleford:
and no, by warrior i meant fighter not barbarian
You mean vanilla Wizard and Warrior? I thought you were saying fighter-that-was-a-Warrior and caster-that-was-a-Wizard ...

In that case, definitely the Wizard: Warriors suck, they just usually pick up useful traits/skills as they ascend through the "warrior-type" roles.

(Guess there was some guild hopping going on there to get the Wizard Ironmight ... )
aleph_null1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 01:34 PM   #8
jsalsb
Elminster

Don't warriors go up and up in number of attacks per round as they ascend? and wizards don't? or at east not nearly as much?
Old 12-03-2004, 04:36 PM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Assuming they're the same race.... your wizard is stronger and has a higher weapon skill. The weapons are roughly comparable. So I'd expect the wizard to hit harder for those reasons. As for hitting more often... well, I'm not sure how well the THAC0-type numbers were implemented for different classes. And depending on what level you are, they may just be close to automatic hits.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 04:45 PM   #10
jsalsb
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
well, I'm not sure how well the THAC0-type numbers were implemented for different classes.
???????????????????????????????????? (?)